Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Re: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Just got my Xbox360 console back. Well, a console, as they decided to replace my old one. They also sent me a free 1 mo. subscription to Xbox live.

I really want Guitar Hero II now. I tried it at Best Buy. Just the chance to rock out to some Cheap Trick is what I'm looking forward to.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've recently played MLB 2006 - The Show on Ps2. The disappearing coaches glitch that occured whenever you played a game ruined the 2007 version's franchise mode for me. I like 2006, because you can both play and simulate the games in franchise mode. I like the gameplay in the MLB series, and think it's the best baseball game out there. I may buy a PS3 as soon as they come out with MLB 2008- The Show on it. I heard the 2007 version on PS3 wasn't that good.

The development team for 2008 has been getting feedback from fans as to park specific stuff, like the fountains at Kaufman, or chants or such. I mentioned the puff of smoke from the stacks on K's and the fireworks on HR's and Wins.

Their plan for 2008 on the PS3 is to have specific celebrations, etc and the various parks.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Ok. Guitar Hero II. I have a PS2 and as the local pawn shop was having a 30% off sale on used video games, I figured I'd pick up Guitar Hero II for $22 last Saturday. Thought it was an interesting concept and I'd heard a lot about it so I picked up a wireless guitar controller at Sam's Club for 40 bucks and let fly.

Good God is this an addictive game. I've been playing in "Easy" mode just to learn and I can barely put the controller down. The tips of my fingers are numb. The wife has a music background and is hyper-competitive. She watched at first, but couldn't pull herself away. Tonight she played for the first time and ended up finishing a song I couldn't even though I've tried at least five times. That'll keep her coming back as will her obsession with beating her last high score on a song.
    Get an extra controller. You can play head-to-head Competitive mode (you on Easy, your wife on Medium or Hard). I highly recommend Cooperative mode -- one plays lead, the other plays rhythm guitar or bass, depending on the song. It absolutely rocks.

When you earn enough pretend cash in Career Mode, unlock "Thunderhorse" by Dethklok. That's a really fun song at any difficulty level.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Wow. My bad luck with Xbox360 consoles continues. They shipped me a new console that arrived on Monday. Yesterday I put in MLB2k7 to play a game and heard a loud grinding noise from the DVD/CD drive and it wouldn't recognize the disk. I tried another disk and then heard the lound grinding noise again, followed by a loud pop. So now it looks like the drive is fried. They're sending me another shipping box to send this one back now.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Wow. My bad luck with Xbox360 consoles continues. They shipped me a new console that arrived on Monday. Yesterday I put in MLB2k7 to play a game and heard a loud grinding noise from the DVD/CD drive and it wouldn't recognize the disk. I tried another disk and then heard the lound grinding noise again, followed by a loud pop. So now it looks like the drive is fried. They're sending me another shipping box to send this one back now.
    Ouch. Sounds like they sent you a faulty refurb box. But hey, looks like MS will be taking care of you for a while longer:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19640605/site/newsweek/

It appears the red rings of death might just be a bigger problem than anyone anticipated. MS is willing to take a 1+ billion dollar hit to extend everyone's warranty for two additional years while also reimbursing everyone who's ever had to pay for out-of-warranty repairs. That smells like MS is trying to proactively avoid a class action lawsuit. I also found this comment from the article interesting:

If someone already has a refurbished box, is this for repair? New Xbox 360s? What is it exactly?
    We're going to send you a box. I'm not going to get into details of exactly what that box is, but our goal is to take care of you.
    Are they going to start sending out new XBox Elite units to take care of folks who've had issues rather than refurbs? Let me know what you get the second time around.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Ouch. Sounds like they sent you a faulty refurb box. But hey, looks like MS will be taking care of you for a while longer:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19640605/site/newsweek/

It appears the red rings of death might just be a bigger problem than anyone anticipated. MS is willing to take a 1+ billion dollar hit to extend everyone's warranty for two additional years while also reimbursing everyone who's ever had to pay for out-of-warranty repairs. That smells like MS is trying to proactively avoid a class action lawsuit. I also found this comment from the article interesting:

Are they going to start sending out new XBox Elite units to take care of folks who've had issues rather than refurbs? Let me know what you get the second time around.
    So far my refurb is working out. I did have to replace my MLB 2k7 disk because the optical drive scratched the bejsus out of it. To be fair, I did move the xBox a couple of times while it was in the drive and running.

Let us know how it works out for you. The PS2 version had a glitch that corrupted your team if you played a game in franchise mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Get an extra controller. You can play head-to-head Competitive mode (you on Easy, your wife on Medium or Hard). I highly recommend Cooperative mode -- one plays lead, the other plays rhythm guitar or bass, depending on the song. It absolutely rocks.

When you earn enough pretend cash in Career Mode, unlock "Thunderhorse" by Dethklok. That's a really fun song at any difficulty level.
    I've been trying to get the wife to agree to a second controller. She actually does like video games (she's a Spyro the Dragon nut, and loved Mario Kart on the N64), but I can't get her to bite. Maybe I'll just have to do it without her knowing about it and spring it on her.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Ok, I need some advice here.

My son (8 yrs old) has only had a GameCube until this year. He received a Nintendo Wii for his 1st communion earlier this year and enjoys playing Wii Sports (the only Wii disc he has). He still plays his GameCube games on his GameCube (in his room) and on the Wii (in the kids TV room). A friend of his across the street has Madden '07 on Wii and my son didn't like playing it on Wii. He said it's better on GameCube or PS2 (not sure why he thinks that, maybe it's too hard for him ). Anyway, he wants to spend all of the money he's saved up to buy a PS2 so he can play Guitar Hero and so that he can buy Madden '08 and NCAA '08 for the PS2 and play those. My thinking is that he's already got 2 gaming systems now, why add another? On the other hand, he can't get NCAA '08 on GameCube because they no longer make those franchise of games for GameCube, and those are his favorite games (he plays NCAA '03 on GameCube constantly). Should I let him go ahead and spend all the money he's saved on a PS2, Guitar Hero and the 2 new football games for PS2? Or should I offer to throw in 1/2 of the cost and get a PS3? Does Guitar Hero work with PS3? I would imagine it would have backward logic built in like the Wii does (for GameCube games). Just wanting some advice on this. If PS2 is a dying game console I don't want him wasting all his money on it, but he does enjoy playing Guitar Hero, Madden, and NCAA games on PS2 and he can't play any of those games on the current Wii system he has. Any advice appreciated.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Reading the posts above, would I be better off trying to locate a "used" PS2, Guitar Hero II, Wireless Guitar Hero controller, and then buying Madden '08 and NCAA '08 new?

Where are some good places to check for used equipment if so?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

RL: IMO, go ahead and throw in some cash and spring for the PS3.

This will likely be the last year they make any new sports games for the PS2. (and it's definitely a dying system, expect to see a cease in new game production over the next year to year and a half)

Do you have a HD-capable TV at home? The blu-ray is a fun toy for daddy too!

If you want to buy used, pawn shops are always a good place to find some steals. (literally, esp. in Cincy!! )

And, of course, eBay.

Also: the video game stores (eb games etc. etc.) almost always have used systems in stock.

Also the PS3 has had a price drop recently, it's a tad more affordable now.

PS2 is really on the way out.... the other option might be the XBox 360 it's more affordable and will play all those games.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Turn Off Ads?