Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Re: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

So far, Rock Band II is a blast. I played the life out of the first one, and the second one is nice with the different challenges and battle of the bands. I'm glad to see it's not just Rock Band I with new songs. Haven't gotten any new instruments (yet), just the game ... can't decide if I need new drums or not. I hear the new ones will be quieter, which would be nice.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Baseclogger, isn't Halo a 360 game only? I have never played it but heard alot about it and don't have the XBOX. It sounds up my alley but I assume the PS3 doesn't have it.

Still playing COD4, haven't quite got my fill of it yet but coming close. Love it, plus have went to MLB '08 over 2K8 which is what I was playing but it's just too cartoonish for me and the gameplay to it was awfully unrealistic. 2K7 was my favorite of the 3 but w/o the updates you almost have to move on, plus it had a tendency to freeze up after so many season in franchise mode and then I would have to start over.

Loved Oblivion Elder Scrolls 4 earlier in the year for about 3-4 months but as soon as I got to the Shivering Isles I was kinda bored and ready to move on. Maybe I will pick up where I left off and finish that sometime in the near future, perhaps once COD4 gets boring. Plus I have NCAA '08 which I have barely touched yet, just not in the mood with OSU stinking it up already early in the season.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Baseclogger, isn't Halo a 360 game only? I have never played it but heard alot about it and don't have the XBOX. It sounds up my alley but I assume the PS3 doesn't have it.
    Yes, Halo is only for 360. It's a Microsoft game, so they only want it on the 360.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Yes, however the game I was posting about, Halo Wars, is an RTS, which I believe will also be available on the PC, where you'll get more out of the RTS style...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

BaseClogger have you ever played Warhammer's Dawn of War? I just downloaded the demo on Steam two weeks ago and was blown away from it. I've really not had much at all to do with RTS games since Warcraft III and Dawn of War just took everything I enjoyed about Warcraft III and one up'd it. And it has three expansion packs and Dawn of War II on the way in the spring.

I just bought Rock Band on Amazon so hopefully it's here next week sometime, for all those who play Rock Band, what parts do you usually play? Guitar? Drums? Vocals? I heard that you can't do a bass world tour and as someone who plays the bass in real life that makes me sad.

I only picked up the game so I'm curious to see if the Drums are worth it.

And I rented Guitar Hero Aerosmith. The songs seem much easier than on GHIII and it's amusing to play 70s songs, but I'm reminded while playing that I'm not much of an Aerosmith fan. Seems much shorter too - I'm almost finished with the game after a few hours worth of playing. Only 40 songs in it as well. Definitely a solid weekend rental, but seems way overpriced at $60 for a new copy.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 09-18-2008 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    BaseClogger have you ever played Warhammer's Dawn of War?
    I'll have to check that out...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I just bought Rock Band on Amazon so hopefully it's here next week sometime, for all those who play Rock Band, what parts do you usually play? Guitar? Drums? Vocals? I heard that you can't do a bass world tour and as someone who plays the bass in real life that makes me sad.

I only picked up the game so I'm curious to see if the Drums are worth it.
    I usually play guitar/bass. I love singing even though I'm not great at it ... I'm working on the singing tour on hard and have reached a point where I might not go any farther. I suck at drums. I'm fine on easy, but about half the songs on medium do me in. They're fun, and it's a good workout, but I haven't really committed much to really learning how to play them yet.

For what it's worth, you can do a bass tour on Rock Band II. The solo tours are set up a little differently (it's just like the world tour, only by yourself), but at least bass is an option. There are also instrument-specific challenges on there separate from the tours. Also, there's a bass available to purchase for Rock Band II, and it has a two strum bars to (allegedly) make it more "bass-like."

I don't know if I'll be getting one or not, I haven't read any reviews yet, but it's a great idea if it plays well.

VERY cool, as a bassist, that would really get your 'picking' hand moving properly.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

I bought a Nintendo DS for the first time today. It was the purchase of Dragon Quest 4 that got me to do it. I always loved that game.

Here is a short video on Yahoo addressing which console is best to buy this holiday season:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/p...ack-14/1248334

I ran across an intiguing new upcoming MLB Baseball game on GAME FAQs lately:

MLB Front Office Manager lets gamers do everything a real-life baseball GM can do to develop a team from Spring Training through a full MLB season, into the playoffs and the World Series. Using Major League teams and players, gamers will create their own fictional baseball universe and build their reputation into elite status. Gamers can replace aging veterans with rookies, scout the Minor Leagues, make blockbuster trades, and even participate in bidding wars for posted players from Japan as they make their way to the Hall of Fame. MLB Front Office Manager offers two distinct game modes. Become the GM in Career Mode, and manage a team through a 30 year career that will hopefully lead to the Hall of Fame. As the gamers™s knowledge and skill progresses over time, gamers will gain points to improve various areas and help the team win games as a result. With Online Fantasy Mode, create an online head-to-head management experience. With up to 30 Managers in the league, gamers can compete against friends to see who has what it takes to be the best.
    Coming Soon
    This game is scheduled for release in North America TBA. Once it's out, GameFAQs will accept and post FAQs, cheats, and reviews as soon as they come in.
    Will be interested in keeping track of this proposed game. It sounds like a really good baseball game. It is by 2K Sports, so I will see how it turns out.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 10-10-2008 at 05:59 PM.

I will freak out if they pull that game off successfully, although I have my doubts. The closest sim I have found is MVP 2005, and even that game had multiple, huge flaws. I wonder if 2k sports is up to the challenge? It's exciting none the less.

Thanks for posting that Amarillo...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 10-11-2008 at 12:24 AM.

Also released:

A true baseball general manager also acts as a mentor in MLB Front Office Manager. Legendary Oakland Athletics' GM Billy Beane offers advice, encouragement and guidance as gamers steer a team through the intense competition that is Major League Baseball. Billy Beane is considered one of the most talented GMs in baseball today and has turned the Athletics into a consistent postseason contender since being named GM in 1997.
    I really like that part...

From another site:

"From negotiating trades to scouting new talent, MLB Front Office Manager has all the complexity and realism I could hope for in a game that is simulating what it means to be a Major League Baseball manager," said Oakland Athletics' General Manager Billy Beane. "I'm excited to be a part of a game that gives people a real world experience at what it's like to be in my shoes and take on the responsibility of building a Major League Baseball team."

MLB Front Office Manager will release on PS3, PC and Xbox 360 during late 2008, around the time that baseball's "hot stove" begins to heat up.

Even though I won't have time to touch it until the semester is over, I'll be buying Fallout 3 as soon as it comes out. I've been playing through the original lately, hopefully I can finish it and the the sequel before I start the latest iteration.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I will freak out if they pull that game off successfully, although I have my doubts. The closest sim I have found is MVP 2005, and even that game had multiple, huge flaws. I wonder if 2k sports is up to the challenge? It's exciting none the less.

Thanks for posting that Amarillo...
    Did you ever play All-Star Baseball. It was much better in the 'GM' department than any of the others I've seen. You had a 40 man roster to deal with, Options, Trades, etc... Gameplay was 'OK' but nothing special.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Turn Off Ads?