Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Re: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    RL: IMO, go ahead and throw in some cash and spring for the PS3.

This will likely be the last year they make any new sports games for the PS2. (and it's definitely a dying system, expect to see a cease in new game production over the next year to year and a half)

Do you have a HD-capable TV at home? The blu-ray is a fun toy for daddy too!
    We have two HD-capable TV's at home, but our big TV (the family room TV) is not HD-capable. I'm planning to upgrade that in the next year or so (maybe this year when Christmas specials come out). I'm not really sure I want him playing Guitar Hero in our living room, though, not everyday, at least. That's more of a game for his room (and his TV is not HD-capable, nor do I want to upgrade his TV, he's too young). It would be nice to plug the Blu-Ray disc player into our HD-capable TV's and get a regular DVD to be upconverted to near HD quality. Does the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 do that? If it does, I could justify buying the PS3. It'd be like him paying $250 for a gaming console and me paying $250 for a Blu-Ray player. If it doesn't, the price isn't really justified and I'd probably consider buying a used PS2 a better decision.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

What's the difference in PS2's:

PS2
    Silver
    Silver redesign

Does one have more memory capability, a bigger internal HD, newer circuitry? Which one is the most reliable?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Reading the posts above, would I be better off trying to locate a "used" PS2, Guitar Hero II, Wireless Guitar Hero controller, and then buying Madden '08 and NCAA '08 new?

Where are some good places to check for used equipment if so?
    RL, I haven't found any Guitar Hero II controllers that are fully compatible with the PS3. I've heard of PS2 to PS3 adapters that will allow the guitar to be functional, but I've also heard of issues with those adapters not allowing the player to use "hammer-ons" and "pull-offs" with their guitar controller (pretty vital controller moves). I've also heard complaints about lag. That's not good. The game will work, but the guitar controller is an issue.

At this point, I would not purchase a PS3 with the expectation of full Guitar Hero compatibility right now. If that game is a must, I'd suggest purchasing a refurbished "fat" (it's cheaper than the "thin") system from some place like Gamestop unless you want to roll the eBay dice. Then look around for a used copy of Guitar Hero II. Check pawn shops and eBay. Used guitar controllers are going to be hard to find, but check your local Sam's club as they have new wireless guitar controllers for as little as $40.00.

Now, the rub is that your total investment for all of that will most likely be around $150.00- $160.00. The PS3 is compatible will all PS2 games he wants to play except Guitar Hero II due to controller issues.

I'd go with the PS3 option- especially if you have an HDTV. I can't believe the Guitar Hero series can survive without eventually moving toward a fully compatible guitar controller for the PS3. That means no Guitar Hero right now, but it has to happen in the future. In the meantime, son and dad can enjoy Blu-Ray movies, up-conversion of regular DVD's, free online Madden gaming, downloads of games and movie trailers, wireless web browsing, music, etc.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Come to think of it, my sister gave me her PS2 (that her old boyfriend left behind), but it's got a broken disc drive. The whole front of it is a little smashed and the disc drive will not function. Do places like GameStop or GameCrazy or whatever fix these type problems, or would I have to take it somewhere else? Is it expensive to have work done on these things? Anyone have experience with repairs not under warranty?

If I can get that PS2 fixed cheaply, it might not cost me much to do this at all. However, if it costs $75+ to have the drive fixed, I might as well just buy a refurbished one for a couple dollars more.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

What's the difference in PS2's:

PS2
    Silver
    Silver redesign

Does one have more memory capability, a bigger internal HD, newer circuitry? Which one is the most reliable?
    There's really no difference between the newer "slim" PS2 models. All come with the ability to connect to the internet via broadband network (cable required). There is no hard drive in the "slim" PS2.

The older "fat" model needs a network adapter add-on to connect to the net. These models can also be equipped with a hard drive. The most common is the 40 GB hard drive included in the Final Fantasy XI boxed set. The reason Sony did away with the hard drive option is that hackers found ways to "rip" games to the hard drive, which led to a lot of issues with renting and ripping.

If you want to be able to connect to the net out of the box, then the new "slim" version is the answer (any color). If not, the cheapest route to play Guitar Hero II is a refurb "fat" model. You can buy these models used off eBay and at pawn shops but buyer beware. I got mine off eBay on the cheap (@50 bucks). It'll play all PS2 games and DVD's, but I can't get any PS1 games to load.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Come to think of it, my sister gave me her PS2 (that her old boyfriend left behind), but it's got a broken disc drive. The whole front of it is a little smashed and the disc drive will not function. Do places like GameStop or GameCrazy or whatever fix these type problems, or would I have to take it somewhere else? Is it expensive to have work done on these things? Anyone have experience with repairs not under warranty?

If I can get that PS2 fixed cheaply, it might not cost me much to do this at all. However, if it costs $75+ to have the drive fixed, I might as well just buy a refurbished one for a couple dollars more.
    It'll be cheaper to just buy a new or refurb unit.

--Ted Williams

Instead of a place like GameStop ($109 for a refurb PS2), you're better off spending the extra cash for a new one from WalMart ($129).

Personally, I'd check the local pawn shops first. Most of them have at least a 10-day return policy.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 07-17-2007 at 12:28 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Thanks, Steel. Your input and expertise is much appreciated.

As you can tell, I didn't play video games much when I was younger. I was always outside playing, so I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff.

I'm good with electronics, home theatre, that kind of stuff, but have nearly no experience with game consoles.

I went from the original Atari to the handheld Mattel Electronics baseball and football games (recently re-released, FYI) and then gave up and went outside to play.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I've already seen promos for Guitar Hero III, which is supposed to have Xbox360, PS3, and Wii versions and will feature a wireless controller and Slash from GnR fame. According to the article I read, they're already looking at a fall release date. So patience might be the key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Hero_III
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

By the way, just shipped my second Xbox 360 console back to Microsoft for repair. I let you know how this one goes.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Yachtzee, you clearly have a guitar hero fetish!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

RL: To your question about up-scale ability on the PS3: I remember Steel saying that they came out with a firmware update (through the PS3's included broadband capability) that provided that function and Steel's review (contained somewhere earlier in this thread, IIRC, was glowing as far as how "old" DVDs looked in their "upscaled" mode)
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Yachtzee, you clearly have a guitar hero fetish!!
    I don't even have the game yet. I just tried it once at the store and I was hooked. My wife won't let me buy it because 1) I'm studying for the bar, and 2) I don't have a paying job yet.

Actually, before sending the console back, I was able to download a demo for NCAA 08 and try that out. I really liked it. It seemed a bit less complicated than Madden and a little more fun. The graphics were pretty great, even for a SDTV. Plus, I got the opportunity to play as USC and kick Michigan's butt. I might have to rent that one when it comes out.

Yeah they really do a good job, IMO, of making the college and pro versions of football and basketball highly distinguishable from one another.

(especially on next gen systems)

Turn Off Ads?