Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Re: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I've already seen promos for Guitar Hero III, which is supposed to have Xbox360, PS3, and Wii versions and will feature a wireless controller and Slash from GnR fame. According to the article I read, they're already looking at a fall release date. So patience might be the key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Hero_III
    Thanks for that link, Yachtzee. So, if Guitar Hero III will be available on Wii, the only reason I'd need to get him a PS2/PS3 would be for football games. Madden '08 will be released for Wii. Anyone know if NCAA '08 is available on Wii? I'm going to go look now.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It appears NCAA '08 is only available on 360, PS2, PS3, and XBox.

What's worse is they don't have a downloadable custom cover for Michigan. Boooooo!
    Last edited by Red Leader; 07-17-2007 at 02:08 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

FYI, GameStop shows Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock available for pre-order for the Wii and says that it will ship 10/28/07. So, I would imagine that's now been determined to be the official release date.

The game and the guitar controller are selling for $89.99.

Also, I rented Rapala Trophies, a fishing game, from the video store and our whole family enjoyed playing that. They have a new fishing game coming out in early September called "Hooked," it comes with a "free" controller and that package sells for $59.99.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    RL: IMO, go ahead and throw in some cash and spring for the PS3.

This will likely be the last year they make any new sports games for the PS2. (and it's definitely a dying system, expect to see a cease in new game production over the next year to year and a half)

Do you have a HD-capable TV at home? The blu-ray is a fun toy for daddy too!
    It brings up the question; Has the PS3 made any good sports games yet? I will continue to play my PS2 sports games until the PS3 has better games. I have heard bad things about the PS3 games. Of course, in the launch games they are working out the bugs. I plan to buy a PS3 this Christmas, but I may hold off until spring until they make a good baseball game. I am looking to see what they do with MLB 2008:The Show. MLB is the only baseball franchise I have ever really liked.

That's a good question.

As far as 360 is concerned, there's no question of its superiority to PS2 and/or Xbox, but then again, I'm judging it based on second generation titles (big difference!).

It will be very interesting to see how these first gen PS3 sports titles stack up against 3rd gen 360, and who knows what gen (6 or 7?) PS2.

Not to mention the PS3 is notorious among programmers for its finicky programming code/software...

this is going to be a vicious console war! Can't wait!!

RL: To your question about up-scale ability on the PS3: I remember Steel saying that they came out with a firmware update (through the PS3's included broadband capability) that provided that function and Steel's review (contained somewhere earlier in this thread, IIRC, was glowing as far as how "old" DVDs looked in their "upscaled" mode)
    Yep. The upscaling is provided by simply uploading and installing the most recent firmware for the PS3. I watched the regular DVD of The Hulk (reportedly one of the best HDDVD offerings) and was amazed by the detail added by the upscaling. I should note, however, that such upscaling is only supported via HDMI connection to the TV.

The funny thing is that I only own two games for the PS3 and about 35 Blu-Ray movies. So you can probably tell what I really bought it for.

Most of my gaming is currently isolated to the used Dreamcast I picked up a few weeks ago along with a bunch of rare games. I'm on disc 3 of "Shenmue" (fantastic RP game) and have spent some time playing Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Soul Calibur, and Sword of the Berserk: Gut's Rage. I've got the gun controller to play House of the Dead 2, but it won't work on an LCD TV so I'll have to move the console down to the living room eventually. I'm sure the wife will be pleased.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Steel: I have Shenmue for Dreamcast!! LOL. Funny. Do you have Seaman? That game was a trip.

Dreamcast started out so strong. My buddies in high school were in awe when I brought one home on launch day.

I wish I never eBay'd my Dreamcast. That machine was awesome.

Bet you could find another one with a crapload of games for a steal on eBay.

Steel: I have Shenmue for Dreamcast!! LOL. Funny. Do you have Seaman? That game was a trip.

Dreamcast started out so strong. My buddies in high school were in awe when I brought one home on launch day.
    Don't have Seaman, but I've heard that it's a love it or hate it proposition. Do have (only listing the rare ones):

Shenmue
    Sword of the Berserk: Gut's Rage
    Marvel vs Capcom 2
    D2
    Dead or Alive 2
    Soul Calibur
    Capcom vs SNK
    Silver
    Record of Lodoss War
    Dino Crisis
    Resident Evil: Code Veronica
    Spider-Man
    Grandia II
    Skies of Arcadia
    House of the Dead 2 w/light gun

I got a bunch of those off eBay for a song and a bunch from a pawn shop that had no idea what they were worth. Score! Just wish I could find more.

I'm looking for complete copies of Power Stone (the one I played was my cousin's), Power Stone 2, Marvel vs Capcom, Project Justice (Rival Schools 2), Sonic Adventure 2, Samba De Amigo complete w/Controllers, Fatal Fury- Mark of the Wolves, and Shenmue II (NTSC-J).

I just got a Gameshark DCX on the cheap so I'll be able to play import games on my system. I wanted that just in case I ran across an import Shenmue II for a decent price (no NTSC-US/CAN were made).

I picked up the Dreamcast because it was cheap ($25.00). Always wanted one, but didn't- until now- understand exactly how cool the thing actually is.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    I wish I never eBay'd my Dreamcast. That machine was awesome.
    Well, here's your replacement:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGA-Dreamcast-S...QQcmdZViewItem

--Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I imagine that more sports titles will come out for the Wii next year. I don't think any of the baseball games were released for it this year other than The Bigs.

Me? I'm waiting on Puzzle Quest *drool*...

I'm toolsy.

Just want to confirm:

Am I correct from reading this thread that Guitar Hero II will NOT work with PS3?

I just bought a PS3 this weekend. What games do people recommend? I normally stick with sports games and RPGs. I currently have Tiger Woods, Tony Hawk (for trade BTW), and Oblivian.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post

What's worse is they don't have a downloadable custom cover for Michigan. Boooooo!
    I just bought NCAA '08 for the PS2. It feels almost identical to '07, which is kind of a letdown but to be expected given that they are probably focusing most of their development on the next-gen console versions.

Try as I might, I can't justify dropping half a grand on a PS3 still -- especially without an HDTV to hook it up to.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

For all the Guitar Hero fans out there there is a new game coming in November called Rock Band that sounds great. This game will allow you to play any instrument. It has guitar controllers, bass controllers, full drum kit controllers, microphones. The music with the game is the original music from the actual bands not cover songs. After the game is released full sets for actual albums will be released allowing you to play with the real albums. I believe the game is coming out for both PS3 and XBox 360. The first 16 songs that are going to be released with the game are:

1970s
    The Who - "Won't Get Fooled Again"

Mountain - "Mississippi Queen"*

David Bowie - "Suffragette City"

Black Sabbath - "Paranoid"*

Blue Oyster Cult - "Don't Fear the Reaper"

The Ramones - "Rockaway Beach"

1980s
    Rush - "Tom Sawyer"*

Bon Jovi - "Wanted Dead or Alive"

1990s
    Nirvana - "In Bloom"

Stone Temple Pilots - "Vasoline"

Weezer - "Say It Ain't So"

Foo Fighters - "Learn to Fly"

Metallica - "Enter Sandman"

2000s
    The Hives - "Main Offender"

The Strokes - "Reptilia"

Queens of the Stone Age - "Go With the Flow"

The first album they will be releasing to add to the game is Who's Next by The Who.

I am already addicted to Guitar Hero I think I am going to have to get this game too.
    Last edited by Reds Fanatic; 07-23-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Turn Off Ads?