Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Re: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

has anyone played "THE BIGS" for the WII? read a few reviews that were mixed...i play madden 07 on the WII...its not too bad

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    Just want to confirm:

Am I correct from reading this thread that Guitar Hero II will NOT work with PS3?

I just bought a PS3 this weekend. What games do people recommend? I normally stick with sports games and RPGs. I currently have Tiger Woods, Tony Hawk (for trade BTW), and Oblivian.
    You are correct. The Guitar Hero II controller will NOT work with the PS3 and I've seen nothing to suggest that an adapter has been produced to allow for full controller functionality.

However, I believe the incompatibility is limited to the controller and that the game itself will work as soon as a compatible controller is produced. I'd suggest that we'll see a PS3 compatible controller sometime this year.

As for PS3 games, I only own Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (which is fun) and Resistance: Fall of Man (which looks great but is hard). I've played the demo for Motorstorm (a blast) and Ninja Gaiden Sigma (fun as well). If I wasn't in the middle of having a retro-blast with my Dreamcast, I'd purchase Motorstorm for sure.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

The only problem with Motorstorm (for me) is that it's only 1-player, unless you want to play online. I'd love to race/wreck a human opponent in my living room. It makes racing games sooo much more fun.

Yeah, the lack of out-of-box multiplayer was disappointing, GIK. But I figured the online variant might be a blast and I actually don't mind just beating the AI (did that through the entire PS Wipeout series).

Have you checked out the Heavenly Sword trailer yet? It's being pimped as the next God of War. Doubtful, but it looks pretty cool.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I haven't, no...but will. Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I've stopped buying these $60 games for now. The wife and I are spending almost every free moment (and $) working on the house in preparation for its sale.

I rented "The Bigs" for my son to play on Wii, and thoroughly enjoy playing it. The graphics are real good. I can't say it's really "realistic" because everyone on the field plays like they are on steroids, but it's a fun game to play. My son and I enjoy the home plate collisions the most.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I rented "The Bigs" for my son to play on Wii, and thoroughly enjoy playing it. The graphics are real good. I can't say it's really "realistic" because everyone on the field plays like they are on steroids, but it's a fun game to play. My son and I enjoy the home plate collisions the most.
    Thanks R.L
    Reds fan since 1970

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    For all the Guitar Hero fans out there there is a new game coming in November called Rock Band that sounds great. This game will allow you to play any instrument. It has guitar controllers, bass controllers, full drum kit controllers, microphones. The music with the game is the original music from the actual bands not cover songs. After the game is released full sets for actual albums will be released allowing you to play with the real albums. I believe the game is coming out for both PS3 and XBox 360. The first 16 songs that are going to be released with the game are:

Blue Oyster Cult - "Don't Fear the Reaper"
    The burning question is, will they be coming out with a cowbell controller?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I have heard they will soon have a 80 GB Playstation 3 soon. Has anyone heard any news on this, and is that the only difference between it and the 60 GB PS3? I am not sure I want to pay $100 extra dollars for just 20 GB

The 80gb version will also be packaged with Motorstorm for that extra $100. Good deal, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I have heard they will soon have a 80 GB Playstation 3 soon. Has anyone heard any news on this, and is that the only difference between it and the 60 GB PS3? I am not sure I want to pay $100 extra dollars for just 20 GB
    As GIK noted, the 80 GB version should include Motorstorm. As far as being a good value for $100 extra, I'd say no.

You can get a used Motorstorm game off eBay for less than $40.00 right now and 2'5" SATA notebook hard drives are dropping in price. At this point, I wouldn't consider an extra 20GB plus Motorstorm to be worth that $100 mark-up. If you really think you'll need extra hard drive space, I'd suggest you wait until those hard drive prices drop even further.

--Ted Williams

I think it's a good deal for those that don't want to touch their machine (ie, DIY'ers). However, I wouldn't buy it. I'd like to swap in a larger drive myself (120gb-ish) at some point. I also read somewhere that the 80gb player won't be backward compatible or is using different processing. Something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    I think it's a good deal for those that don't want to touch their machine (ie, DIY'ers). However, I wouldn't buy it. I'd like to swap in a larger drive myself (120gb-ish) at some point. I also read somewhere that the 80gb player won't be backward compatible or is using different processing. Something to that effect.
    The newer PS3 models, like those sold in Europe and Australia during the March release, will ditch hardware-based backwards compatibility for software-based backwards compatibility. The difference is nominal and the PS3 should eventually be able to play all the PS1 and PS2 games via system update.

I'm with you on adding the larger hard drive eventually, and can see how some folks might not want to mess with their machines. Good point.

--Ted Williams

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I had my first ever Wii-related accident at my sister's house the other night. I was bowling and with my over-dramatic follow through I ended up smashing a lamp.

I never thought it would happen to me! lol

Me and my wife were considering purchasing a PS3, but a key deciding factor for us is whether or not the PS3 also acts as a DVR. I hadn't seen anything about this in this thread and was wondering if somebody here knew for sure.

Turn Off Ads?