Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 66 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Re: The Unofficial Video Game System Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TylerScottDavis View Post
    Me and my wife were considering purchasing a PS3, but a key deciding factor for us is whether or not the PS3 also acts as a DVR. I hadn't seen anything about this in this thread and was wondering if somebody here knew for sure.
    It won't do that out of the box. There are a couple different ways to get the PS3 to act as either a DVR or a "passthrough" for tv recorded on a media center PC, but both solutions cost at least an additional $200.00.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

How can a PS3 become a DVR?

Just got Xbox360 #2 back. It appears that this time they were able to just replace the defective drive rather than send out a new box. I hope this one works, because I really don't feel like sending it back again.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

I trust you guys over random fanboys and biased reviews.

What system should I buy if money isn't an object and I play only sports games and a few random war games?

This system will be mostly for baseball/soccer/football.

Thanks.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Well, with that as the criteria, I'd vote PS3 because of MLB the Show by Sony. All the other sports titles are available for all systems, and "The Show" is Sony only, and IMHO the best baseball game out there.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Watch the Call of Duty 4 trailer for PS3. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown View Post
    How can a PS3 become a DVR?
    Here you go:

http://ps3mods.blogspot.com/2007/01/...-tutorial.html

Too much work for this cat, though.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Here you go:

Interesting. Thanks for posting that.

To the guy asking about which system to get for sports or war games, I would probably go with an Xbox 360. Gears of War, and all of the sports games are available pretty much.

COD4 is going to look good on a 360 or a PS3.

Halo is an Xbox exclusive as well.

Gears of War is an awesome game...have it, love it. It's tough for me to recommend one versus the other. I like them both for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Gears of War is an awesome game...have it, love it. It's tough for me to recommend one versus the other. I like them both for different reasons.
    I agree totally. If I had the money, I would have both the PS3 and the 360 sitting on my shelf.

BTW, anyone who does a lot of gaming, and rents a lot, I recommend signing up for gamefly. They ahve a warehouse in PA so it doesn't take long for the games to get here.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    Well, with that as the criteria, I'd vote PS3 because of MLB the Show by Sony. All the other sports titles are available for all systems, and "The Show" is Sony only, and IMHO the best baseball game out there.
    I would agree with that. However, Sony has had several problems lately with glitches in the MLB game. There was a glitch in 2007 The Show where the stats on all your coaches would disappear if you played a game in franchise mode. It was for this reason I started playing MLB 2006 The Show. I don't know if there were any glitches in the PS3 version . Perhaps someone could speak to that?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Here you go:

Well, it looks like Sony is coming out with their own equipment to make the PS3 a DVR.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/pal-bosses-...008-284606.php

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I would agree with that. However, Sony has had several problems lately with glitches in the MLB game. There was a glitch in 2007 The Show where the stats on all your coaches would disappear if you played a game in franchise mode. It was for this reason I started playing MLB 2006 The Show. I don't know if there were any glitches in the PS3 version . Perhaps someone could speak to that?
    If you hang out on Operation Sports, you can get the list of glitches on the PS3, most of them are in the vein of the one you listed. There is talk there of a patch for this years version. Frankly, I've got 2 franchises running on my ps2 and losing my coaches has made very little difference it it. The Coaches disappearing in franchise comes when you have the CPU do any Auto roster stuff, like if someone in your minor leagues gets hurt and you choose auto on it.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown View Post
    Well, it looks like Sony is coming out with their own equipment to make the PS3 a DVR.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/pal-bosses-...008-284606.php
    Nice find. If that pans out at a reasonable price, it might just give me a reason to upgrade my PS3 hard drive.

--Ted Williams

FYI for PS3 owners...

The "Heavenly Sword" demo is up and it's pretty fantastic, although it appears to suffer a bit of a frame rate lag from time to time. It starts off with an animation, then cuts to a "QTE" experience where you slide down huge ropes, jumping from one rope to another, over a cavern as they're being cut. Then you've got a mass of enemies to battle, then another quick QTE, and more enemies. It's not a long demo, but it allows you to get the hang of the game.

Fantastic backgrounds and really neat moves even though I was just button-mashing. At times, when you engage a foe the game breaks to a quick animation of you clobbering the guy. Also, you can grab items to use as weapons. I'd suggest checking the demo out .

Oh, and the Metal Gear Solid 4 demonstration trailer is beyond fantastic. Wow.

--Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?