Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It was 20 years ago today (plus 20) - Sgt. Pepper at 40!

Re: It was 20 years ago today (plus 20) - Sgt. Pepper at 40!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Hey! Don't leave out Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Billy Preston and George Burns.
    I was sorry that the Billy Preston / George Burns album never came to fruition.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I was sorry that the Billy Preston / George Burns album never came to fruition.
    You mean you never heard their version of Sly and the Family Stone's "Don't call Me N%^&&&, Whitey." ?

Too bad... it's classic.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    The same goes for "Getting Better", where Paul writes "Getting Better all the time" to the back up singing trailing with "can't get no worse". That almost presages Redszone!
    I've seen an interview with Sir Paul himself in which he says the very same thing about that particular song.

Yin and Yang, those two.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You mean you never heard their version of Sly and the Family Stone's "Don't call Me N%^&&&, Whitey." ?

Too bad... it's classic.
    That was supposed to be the B-side of "I'm Black and I'm Proud" sung by Pat Boone and Redd Foxx.

And David Bianculli on NPR's Fresh Air did this report with covers of various Sgt. Pepper songs - a surprise, non-Pepper finish too!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=10621802

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    What a brilliant song -- a great example of John and Paul's personas. John's painful and bitter look at the world around him is countered by Paul's jaunty "Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head..."
    Two songs combined into one. And banned from the radio by the BBC.

I always loved the guitar in Good Morning, Good Morning, which was inspired by a Kellog's commercial.

Here's a good website that I love to read at times. It goes into a lot of the history and behind the scenes stuff that inspired their songs. Here's the link for Sgt Pepper....

http://www.iamthebeatles.com/article1009.html

But the album that preceded Pepper (Revolver) was one of their finest as far I'm concerned. Some of the best rock music ever put on vinyl.

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during those recording sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The greatest irony that this great album created is that it also helped create perhaps the worlds worst movie.

What I always thought was simply hilarious was when the Bee Gees did their Sgt Pepper musical (late 70's)... Maurice said they'd be better remembered for Sgt Pepper then the Beatles. Poor, poor, "wannabe" Bee Gees.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-01-2007 at 05:33 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I was not around....but I love that album, and every album they did. I love the '60s and '70s...the music, the culture, and some of the extra carriculars that went with it (which I've grown out of )

I should have grown up with my parents....but that would just be weird.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-01-2007 at 07:00 PM.

Because this was the only Beatles album that my parents owned, this was my first exposure to the band. I will always have a special spot in my heart for this group--mostly because of what I experienced while listening to this album over and over again...
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Turn Off Ads?