Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about grills, man.

Let's talk about grills, man.

Anybody out there a big griller?

Got any favorite equipment?

Grilling techniques?

Favorite interesting recipies?

Propane vs. charcoal?

I've always dabbled but never gotten serrious about grilling. I think Mrs. Ltlabner and I are getting serrious about getting a bigger fancy grill. Not one of those 100,000BTU jobs, but something with a lot of grill space, a side burner and (hopefull) a roticiery. I don't need something flashy, I'd just like more real-estate to cook on.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 06-05-2007 at 02:58 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Let's talk about grills, man.

We grill all the time during the summer. I don't have any fancy equipment or recipes though. In fact, our grill is pretty old and in need of being replaced.

There is nothing like sitting on the back porch on a warm summer day with a beer in hand and the grill going.

My wife and I just bought a grill this year. We both had small camping/tailgating type gas grills before. Now that we are married we thought we would get a bigger grill. I want to get a charcoal grill or smoker in the future, so I didn't want something big. I really do like the cast iron grill grates though. Nice even heating.

Don't really have any equipment in particular besides the needed grill brush, tongs, spatula, and meat thermometer.

Techniques? What are there beside direct and indirect grilling? Pretty simple and good stuff.

Recipes. I do like tequilla lime chicken. Typically just put lime juice, honey, tequilla, cumin, chile powder (mostly ancho in this), cilantro, salt, olive oil (or whatever), and pepper, and possibly some ground corriander or Mexican oregano. Use it as a marinade. Last time that I did this, after the chicken was marinating, I took the chicken out and reduced the marinade in a sauce pan for a glaze. That seemed to work well. Just grill the chicken and put on optional glaze at the end.

Also, I really like Asparagus tossed with some lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill the spears, turning every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin View Post

Also, I really like Asparagus tossed with some lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill the spears, turning every so often.
    This is godly, that's exactly how we cook it in my family and it DELICIOUS.

I have a weber gas grill.

I like to take boneless chicken breast, cube it and marinade it in olive oil, lemon juice (fresh) and crushed garlic. Marinate for about 4-6 hours and then put on skewers.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    This is godly, that's exactly how we cook it in my family and it DELICIOUS.
    Yea, plus its that time of year too with them being cheap at farmers markets and such. We have them at least once a week in late spring as long as they last.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

We grill all the time, pretty much year round. We have a gas grill and a charcoal. We prefer the charcoal but we use the gas if we're in a hurry or if the weather is questionable.

I grill 3 or 4 days a week. I have a 4-burner Jenn-Air gas grill that's held up very nicely over the past 4 years (I wore out two other gas grills in the previous 4 years). I have 3 little cast iron smoker boxes that I put over the burners, filled with hickory or mesquite chips. I usually light the chips on fire and let the flames touch the meat for a minute or two -- it imparts a nice, charred flavor. Then I snuff the flame and let the chips smoke the meat until it's medium rare.

I also have a little Weber bullet smoker. I got it two years ago and I'm still learning some of the nuances of barbecuing. I make a decent brisket and so-so ribs (they're tasty, but end up looking too black, thanks to the rub I've been using). I use mostly hickory and cherry wood.

Two indispensible spices: onion powder and chipotle pepper. I tend to use a lot of garlic salt and garlic pepper, and the onion powder really helps balance those flavors. The chipotle provides some tasty heat in lieu of crushed red pepper or cayenne.

I also use a lot of sesame oil in my marinades. It adds a nice, nutty flavor.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 06-05-2007 at 03:39 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I do lots of grilling. More in the summer, but year-around really. I've been known to be outside grilling in a snowstorm in my parka. I've got a dual-burner propane grill. Occasionally I'll fire up my little Smoky Joe. But my gas grill gets the bulk of the work. I cook everything on my grill.

I've also been doing the smoker thing the past couple summers. I've got the pork shoulder, ribs, and turkey dialed in and is darn good. Still working on my brisket. It's getting there.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Has anyone tried out Alton Brown's smoker? I am thinking of giving it a go. It is two terra cotta pots, a hot plate, a pan for wood chips, a small grill grate, and thermometer.

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin View Post
    Has anyone tried out Alton Brown's smoker? I am thinking of giving it a go. It is two terra cotta pots, a hot plate, a pan for wood chips, a small grill grate, and thermometer.
    Yes. Highly recommend.

http://twothirds.org/2005/09/26/smok...a-alton-brown/
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

High five!

We have a Vermont Castings grill that we're pretty pleased with. I'd like to outfit it with a rotisserie and will probably do so at one point.

I really like to do a "beer can" chicken on Sundays. Every place that sells grills has the little stand if you don't want to use a beer can. Basically, the idea is that you put a car inside of the chick which both props it upright and steams it from the inside. You can use beer or your favorite marinade. Keeps the chicken tender!

My Dad has the world's greatest recipe for grilling Asparagus. Basically, you blanch it, place two stalks side by side and place a matchstick-sized piece of Parmesan (or some cheese like that) in between. Place a third piece over the top and wrap with a slice of prosciutto. Secure with some toothpicks and grill for a couple of minutes.

It may be the greatest grilled vegetable ever!

Of course, one could wrap a use oil filter with parmesan and prosciutto and it would taste pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Thanks dabvu2498. If it works as he says it will be pretty sweet. Looks like I need to go to Home Depot soon.

I have the "Q" episode of Good Eats tivoed for the occassion when I have the time and energy to make a flower pot smoker.

As far as grills go, I've got a Weber Genesis Silver that I bought in 2002. Other than needing to give it a good cleaning and replace the thermometer, it's going great. I should probably replace the flavorizer bars, which have started to rust. I've grilled just about everything on it, my favorite being leg of lamb. I've thought about picking up a Smokey Joe or something similar to do steaks and chicken breasts. Either that or investing in a smoker box attachment. The one thing I miss with the Genesis is the smoky flavor of charcoal.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

This is my grill- a Char-Griller. (I stole the pic- not my grill). I use wood chunks alot instead of charcoal, or a blend of the two.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?