• Pete Rose

26 41.94%
  • Johnny Bench

36 58.06%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pete or Johnny?

Pete or Johnny?

This thread was started in the Sun Deck by George Anderson

Which player did you prefer? The shaggy-haired, brash rapscallion, or the talented, conservative bulwark? Pete's hustle, or Johnny's impeccable skill?
    Pete was Wolverine to Johnny's Cyclops. Johnny was Superman to Pete's Batman.

For me, it has always been Johnny Bench. It's not even close.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pete or Johnny?

I came late to the party, but I was always a Pete guy, Johnny was on Dinah Shore fer gawdsakes.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I came late to the party, but I was always a Pete guy, Johnny was on Dinah Shore fer gawdsakes.
    His guitar duet with Chet Atkins was cool, thought (in an uncool, countrified sort of way). And the Baseball Bunch seals the deal.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

And the Baseball Bunch seals the deal.
    Never watched it, I was out chasing girls.

They were my two favorites, and I was in by "baseball card collecting" prime during the Big Red Machine's heyday.

But I always looked forward to highlight of Pete's headfirst slide on Saturday afternoon when they showed "This Week In Baseball" before the game of the week...I never watched Baseball Bunch...so I went with Pete.

johnny bench --he was just a little bit less grandiose than pete.

i always thought pete was mick jagger while bench was more elvis. pete was the jester....johnny was the king.

I wanted to be Pete when I grew up. Now, well, not so much.

They are both historic players. It's not fair to say I admire Pete for his personality, but I do admire the way his life has played out. It's Greek tragedy and high opera brought to life. The things that made the man great are exactly what caused his downfall.

I watched Pete play for 17 years and I missed the peak of his career, 1968. The breadth of his career is just stunning. Add four and half Chris Sabo's together and make them a good bit better and you have what Pete was.
    Last edited by dfs; 06-01-2007 at 12:10 PM.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I only remember the last few years of Bench's career. I grew up with a brother who was a Phillies fan so I really didn't like Rose and his style when he played their. Bench wore my favorite number and I grew up on the baseball bunch as well. It's Bench for me.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Haunted by walks

I wonder what it would have been like:

"No singles hitter is worth $100,000... Who does Pete think he is, Willie Mays? He doesn't even have a position."

"If Bench can't get his OBP above .300 then trade him for pitching. All we've got is Gullett and Grimsley."

Johnny, and it wasn't even close for me.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Tough call. I grew up during the BRM days. Bench started out as being my favorite but Pete gradually became the one I liked the most. Like I always have said Pete is my favorite player of all but just not my favorite human being.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Word. Johnny played ping pong with the boys on his wedding night. Pete tried to pick up the bridesmaids.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Johnny, and it wasn't even close for me.
    Word.

A catcher who hits 40 HR's? sign me up.
    Go Gators!

JB, all the way.

Maybe it's just perception, but I always got the impression that Pete was always just looking out for #14. Even if you remove the gambling, it seems like Pete's MO is to cash in at every turn. He's very gregarious, but there's always been something about him that struck me as "used car salesman."

I don't know much about JB personally, maybe because he seems like the type who values his privacy. He could be a total jerk for all I know. In baseball terms he always seemed like the perfect combo of talent and intelligence and I loved watching him play. And of course there was the Baseball Bunch.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Johnny played ping pong with the boys on his wedding night.
    Johnny's *alleged* trips to Brokeback Mountain don't really matter to me.

Turn Off Ads?