Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6/1/07 Minors Updates

Re: 6/1/07 Minors Updates

Quote Originally Posted by knuckler View Post
    Just speculating, but I would guess because he has yet to pitch into the 7th inning in his conversion from reliever to starter. At the lower level it should be easier to work on pitch efficiency without getting hammered.

Maybe one of the major league guys can teach him how to "pitch to contact"
    he's a pure knuckleball pitcher, those guys can throw over 100 pitches easy. I think there's no room at this time thats why he's at low A, theyll make room soon enough.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    he's a pure knuckleball pitcher, those guys can throw over 100 pitches easy. I think there's no room at this time thats why he's at low A, theyll make room soon enough.
    If you're talking about Watson, he's not a "pure" knuckleball pitcher. He has one pitch, a knucklecurve, which resembles a knuckler. He's more of a power pitcher who uses the knucklecurve as his offspeed pitch.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    If you're talking about Watson, he's not a "pure" knuckleball pitcher. He has one pitch, a knucklecurve, which resembles a knuckler. He's more of a power pitcher who uses the knucklecurve as his offspeed pitch.
    Yeah, Watson relies a lot on his fastball and knuckle curve and will mix in a slider and a change up every now and again. His bread and butter though is his knuckle curve that runs about 84 MPH that coming out of his hand looks just like his fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Didn't see this elsewhere on the forum...but there was quite a performance during this game... http://www.wdef.com/node/5567

That said...makes me wonder if this guy was drunk or something. He was out there to put on a show thats for sure. He even bows to the crowd as he walks off the field. At least he got his 15 minutes.
    Hey Marty, This is Adam from Milwaukee...

Quote Originally Posted by bradmu View Post
    Didn't see this elsewhere on the forum...but there was quite a performance during this game... http://www.wdef.com/node/5567

That said...makes me wonder if this guy was drunk or something. He was out there to put on a show thats for sure. He even bows to the crowd as he walks off the field. At least he got his 15 minutes.
    Whoah! That was great! Making the plate bigger, I've never seen that one before. His players were having trouble hiding their amusement. Why did he belly crawl up to the mound?

Quote Originally Posted by bradmu View Post

Didn't Wellman used to be the skipper for the Lookouts a few years ago? IIRC he was in the Reds organization for awhile.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Whoah! That was great! Making the plate bigger, I've never seen that one before. His players were having trouble hiding their amusement. Why did he belly crawl up to the mound?
    "Incoming!" [throwing the rosin bag toward home plate and the ump]
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Didn't Wellman used to be the skipper for the Lookouts a few years ago? IIRC he was in the Reds organization for awhile.
    Yep! I bolded the caption for emphasis! I'll answer my ?:
    http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_94995.asp

Former Lookouts Manager Phillip Wellman To Manage 2007 Mississippi Braves
    by Tim Evearitt
    posted October 19, 2006

Photo by Tim Evearitt (file photo)
    Phillip Wellman will move from the third base coaching box into the dugout next season as the manager of the Mississippi Braves.

Local fans have another reason to take in professional baseball games next summer at BellSouth Park. Wellman is back -- not with Chattanooga -- but with the Mississippi Braves.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting that the Atlanta organization has replaced Mississippi Braves' manager Jeff Blauser with former Lookouts' manager Phillip Wellman.

Wellman replaces Blauser, who managed the 2006 M-Braves through a disappointing 58-80 season. Blauser, who managed just a year, has been offered a non-managerial position in the organization, Braves director of player development Kurt Kemp said. Blauser was a roving infield instructor before becoming Mississippi manager.

The Braves have not yet named a replacement for Brian Snitker as manager at Class AAA Richmond. Snitker was named Atlanta third base coach after Fredi Gonzalez became manager with Florida.

Chino Cadahia was also added to the Atlanta staff as bench coach. He will be replaced as minor league field coordinator by Tommy Shields, his assistant last season.

The Braves named John Coppolella, formerly with the Yankees, as director of baseball administration, replacing Tyrone Brooks, who took a job as a scout with Cleveland.

Minor league pitching coordinator Bill Fischer also must be replaced. He took a similar job with Kansas City.

Photo by Tim Evearitt (file photo)
    Wellman, who was a colorful manager with the Lookouts, was known for his unique rants-and-ravings whenever an umpire ejected him from a game.

That's embarrassing. I'm guessing he doesn't have asperations to make it any further in baseball like to coach in the majors. Although I thought it was funny, I think he was making a mockery of the game.

Turn Off Ads?