Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Best rules in baseball

Best rules in baseball

To rip off the enjoyable "dumbest rules" thread, are there any "rules" that people like?

I think the 90 feet between bases works out well. The whole dimensions of the infield just seem to be perfect to me.

At the same time, I like that outfields are not all the same. Some of the "angles" in some fields may be too cutesy, but I like that some of the distances are different, walls are taller, etc. It makes each field a bit more unique. Perhaps this contradicts my first point a bit, but I still feel this way.

I like having umpires at every base. It would be easy to only have 3 umps per crew (imagine the cost savings on salary, benefits, travel, etc.) but this is a professional league and at least this way of doing things is professional (though the quality of some umps is, of course, questionable.)

No instant replay. I guess it would be OK in some situations (fair/foul, safe/out), but I prefer the game to be played & officiated by humans, even if that means errors occur. I also like seeing some good arguments between players/managers & umpires. It's probably not a good example of sportsmanship to show the kids, but I think it's another "human" element of the game. You occasionally see football coaches have brief arguments, and basketball coaches go crazy at times, but a good ole baseball argument is often fun to watch. (I also like that no instant replay means no delays for the replay to take place. With as much emphasis as they try to place on speed of play, yet with so many commercials going on, adding replay would probably just cause another rule change in some other area to save time, while keeping the commercials.)

Any other thoughts on some rules (kind of how rules was used in the other thread) that people especially like about this sport?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

Re: Best rules in baseball

Once you've left the game, you can't come back in. That certainly makes baseball a much deeper strategic game.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The multiples of 3:

Three strikes you're out. Three outs per inning. Nine innings, Nine men on the field.

On the other hand, I hate human error, particularly in most important aspect of officiating which is ball/strike judgement.

This is the 21st century, the techology should be available. Give me robo-ump.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I think instant replay in a limited capacity would be a good thing.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The ability for umpires to throw players and managers out of the game.

Love it.

I agree that not being able to put a player back in the game makes decisions tough. Baseball managers have some hard choices to make and that adds a lot to the stratagy

The distance from the mound to home. What if it were 2 foot closer? Would there be any hits today with all of the nasty pitches available? Would pitches drop right at the plate or move right at the plate like they do now? How about 2 foot further back?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    The distance from the mound to home. What if it were 2 foot closer? Would there be any hits today with all of the nasty pitches available? Would pitches drop right at the plate or move right at the plate like they do now? How about 2 foot further back?

There's nothing magical about the distances. The game would adjust. If it was 85 ft between the bases folks would play more shallow. If pitcher's mound was closer or further away they find pitches that break at the desired point. That said, I don't think any tweaking of the distances is necessary

For some reason, I kind of like the fact that there are situations in which the official scorer gets to decide who gets the win. In fact, I think the official scorer should decide who gets all wins and saves. And I think they should be anonymous, to avoid pressure from the ball clubs.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Used to be a lot closer... 45 feet, but pitchers could not throw overhanded. It was changed to 50 feet in 1889 and overhanded pitching was allowed. Then in 1893 the distance was increased to the present length of 60' 6''.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 06-02-2007 at 05:38 PM.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

In 1887 the league decided to count walks as hits. That rule caused the league to have twenty .400 hitters. The rule was changed the following year.

Adam Dunn might get more respect if this rule had not been changed! But as we probably all agree, it was a good thing it was only a 1 year thing.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    In 1887 the league decided to count walks as hits. That rule caused the league to have twenty .400 hitters. The rule was changed the following year.

Adam Dunn might get more respect if this rule had not been changed! But as we probably all agree, it was a good thing it was only a 1 year thing.
    It started in 1887? It lasted one year? That was an ill fated decision...

Haunted by walks

Now we just call it OBP.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Once you've left the game, you can't come back in. That certainly makes baseball a much deeper strategic game.
    That's an excellent one I hadn't thought of. It affects not only the game, but the roster - see Moehler on the roster so Valentin can pinch-hit. The NFL has the rule about the 3rd QB - once he's in, the first 2 can't return unless he's injured - but this rule is unique to baseball among the major team sports.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Strikeouts still only count as one out.

Turn Off Ads?