Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Narron to Do?

What's Narron to Do?

Congrats to the Reds for this hard fought 4-2 win tonight on the road in Colorado. I was struck by the hard choices Jerry Narron has to make as manager of this team, so short in many areas. Let's look at it:

He gets a wonderful performance from his 5th starter, a waiver wire pickup, pitching for the 1st time in Coors Field. He gets well into the 7th inning and turns over a 4-0 lead to the bullpen. Jerry says all right, let's see if Salmon can do more than mop up duty. Salmon rewards Narron's confidence by being all over the board. He throws almost no strikes while walking both hitters. Then to Jerry's credit he removes him and he does not go to the comfortable veteran, Mike Stanton. He goes with Coutlangus. He throws well but the SS acquired to solidify the defense boots a ball he's paid to field. A run goes on the board.

Fast forward to the 8th nning. Coutlangus runs out of gas and Narron has to go to his closer. Weathers gets the batter to hit a soft fly ball to RF but Griffey has cement in his shoes and lets it drop. The inning ends with Narron's defensive replacement making a play that Adam Dunn likely would not have.

Thankfully the Reds won the game but it was nip and tuck because of what Narron had to work with. Middle relief and defense have doomed this team all year and tonight we saw a microcosm of that. With the exception of Coutlangus, Jerry has no one to go to in order to get to Weathers who really is a set up man doing the job of a closer. His bench consists of the likes of Wise, Castro and Moehler.

I think he made a lot of nice choices tonight but I feel for him. He doesn't have much to work with. So for all you Narron critics out there I ask you, "what's Narron to do"?

If I'm WK, I can't tolerate a performance like Salmon's. I send him out and bring in Marcus McBeth. If he can't do it, I send him back and I bring in Calvin Medlock from AA. If he fails Saarloos may be ready to give it another try. There are plenty of minor league candidates in this organization to fill the 7th/8th inning roles on this staff. There's no excuse not to try them out and continually run guys like Coffey and Salmon out there.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Re: What's Narron to Do?

Then again, if Narron's lineups made more sense, there might be more runs scored, but that's another topic for another time, I think.

Yes, I feel for Narron when he summons the bullpen. It's a mess and tonight you saw Cout really not have anything. In fact he and Salmon just didn't have it. Weathers is so hittable it scares me to death. Apparently, Griffey lost he ball in the lights and here we go, but there is no excuse for relievers to allow baserunners and our relievers allow lots and lots of baserunners. If you look at the whole lot of them, they've pitched 164 innings and allowed 173 hits as well as 70 walks! For whatever reasons, this bunch isn't fooling anyone. Very hittable. And thre's nothing Jerry can do about it. So in that regard, his hands are tied. They're going to allow hits. The only defense around that is to score runs.

As it stands now, we've won 4 of 5 while scoring an average of 3.2 runs and 8 hits per game. Not good.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I applaud the use of Coutlangus and Salmon in crucial situations. I would like to see what Jared Burton can do in the late innings as well. Also, Coffey needs to get back up here and Joey Votto needs to get a shot. If the Reds are to pull off a miraculous second half run, it will not be because guys like Stanton, Weathers, Hatteberg, Conine and Milton perform to their career norms. We know their ceilings. It will only happen if the unknown quantities in this organization exceed reasonable expectation.

And, even if that miracle fails to happen, at least there could be progress. Progress is a good reason to attend ballgames in August and September.

He seemed to play the pitchers right tonight. That was a good spot to bring in Salmon. he just didn't perform.

Coutlangus, otoh, I think he could be really good.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I don't fault Jr for that play. One could see he lost the ball in the lights. That happens.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    I applaud the use of Coutlangus and Salmon in crucial situations. I would like to see what Jared Burton can do in the late innings as well.
    Agree 100%. It was refreshing to see Salmon and Countlangus used in that situation last night versus the normal use of a guy like Stanton.

I think Burton is the wild card in this bullpen at the moment. Give him a shot in some of the later inning situations and see how he handles it.

By the end of the year, I'd like to see the backend of the bullpen manned by the likes of Bray, Burton, McBeth, Countlangus, Salmon.

I can't watch the games since I don't have cable, but it sounded like there was something funky with the runner on that play with Gonzalez. Marty expressed mild surprise that they called it an error, but again, I don't know because I didn't see it.

I have to point out that the eighth inning double switch should never have had to be made. When he took Dunn out at the beginning of the inning there was really no reason not to do the double switch right then and there. There would have then been no need to downgrade offensively and defensively later when bringing in Weathers. It's that type of lack of foresight that really bugs me about Narron.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    I have to point out that the eighth inning double switch should never have had to be made. When he took Dunn out at the beginning of the inning there was really no reason not to do the double switch right then and there. There would have then been no need to downgrade offensively and defensively later when bringing in Weathers. It's that type of lack of foresight that really bugs me about Narron.
    Actually, if they had done the double switch at the start of the inning, then you would have had to take out Coutlangus as he was already in the game. So, his only opportunity would have been to double switch when Salmon/Coutlangiu came in to the game, and that would have prevented Dunn from hitting in the 8th.

When you double switch, you change pitchers. That wasn't done at the start of the bottom of the 8th, so no chance to double switch.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    It's a mess and tonight you saw Cout really not have anything.
    You saw a different Cout than I did. I saw I guy who pitched very well, striking out 2 guys. He got 2 tough hitters to ground harmlessly with great pitches in the 7th. He struck out 2 guys in the 8th. Only Griffey's missed catch cost him a run.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

What's Narron to do?

Get his unemployment papers in order for the 4th Quarter of this year.

Prep his resume for future job opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    You saw a different Cout than I did. I saw I guy who pitched very well, striking out 2 guys. He got 2 tough hitters to ground harmlessly with great pitches in the 7th. He struck out 2 guys in the 8th. Only Griffey's missed catch cost him a run.
    That is really true. I was down on Narron for some of his moves but I have to admit bringing in Cout was a good one. That guy had them baffled. (Not sure what the other poster saw but he couldn't have been watching the game)

Salmon on the other hand was horrible.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I don't fault Jr for that play. One could see he lost the ball in the lights. That happens.
    Lights eh? after reading his reply to the trouble with moving to RF I'll venture he still has trouble reading the ball of the bat, hence why he took two steps back and then almost over ran it, he saw it and he blew it.

IMO Griffey is a poor RF, he doesn't come in on the ball well at all.

Even when the light are off.
    Last edited by westofyou; 06-02-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    It's a mess and tonight you saw Cout really not have anything.
    17 strikes out 25 pitches 2 K's, OK.... whatever you saw was different then what I saw.

i like that Narron is staying away from Stanton!!.. he is a automatic run giver-upper!! and i think Salmon might be sent back for mcBeth very shortly, as he was wild high on just about every pitch to the 2 batters he faced!

Turn Off Ads?