Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casey hasnít produced anything

Casey hasnít produced anything

http://www.detroittigersweblog.com/2...uced-anything/

Itís a refrain that has been uttered by Tigers fans over and over again. This time it is a quote from Jim Leyland. Leyland was responding to questions about Marcus Thames playing 3 straight days and said:

ďItís an attempt to get some production in the lineup,Ē manager Jim Leyland said Thursday, before the Tigersí 11-5 loss. ďThe fact of the matter is that Casey hasnít produced anything.Ē

ďWhen Marcus hits it, something happens,Ē Leyland said. ďI love Sean Casey, and heís going to play. But if Casey isnít hitting, Iím going to play Marcus. Thatís just the way it is. I need to get some thunder in there.Ē
    Since Sean Casey became a Tiger he has hit 256/303/349 with 41 RBI and 5 home runs in regular season action. It isnít exactly the production upgrade the Tigers were looking for when they found Chris Sheltonís production in June and July unacceptable. Shelton hit 246/310/374 over those miserable months.

Of course Caseyís struggles really donít come as a surprise. Some will point to his World Series performance, but 4 months of poor performance have to trump 2 weeks of stellar production.

Some will also point to his clubhouse presence, which is fine. He is universally regarded as a really nice guy and a guy you want to cheer for. It also makes it very hard for the Tigers to cut him and itís something I just donít expect to happen. But reading Leylandís quotes it seems like Thames will have an opportunity to dictate his playing time with performance. If Thames can hit, and this is the time of year he really turned it on last year (he hit 309/346/639 with 8 homers in June while filling in for Craig Monroe in left), it sounds like heíll have his chances.

Given Sean Caseyís veteran-ness and attitude I donít think this is a move by Leyland to light a fire and motivate Casey. This is simply about production. And quite frankly, if Carlos Guillen is going to be missing any time a hot hitting Marcus Thames can actually provide some protection hitting behind Magglio Ordonez.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: Casey hasnít produced anything

I absolutely love that Leyland calls out individual players like that. I know he can do so because he's Leyland, but man, that directness is refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I absolutely love that Leyland calls out individual players like that. I know he can do so because he's Leyland, but man, that directness is refreshing.
    You wouldn't love it after 3 months of hemming an hawing about how he wasn't going to change anything.

But I love this gem from him:

"If Sean Casey gets a hit, you know, his steal sign is if I jump in the air and never come down, he goes," Leyland said.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You wouldn't love it after 3 months of hemming an hawing about how he wasn't going to change anything.

But I love this gem from him:
    My guess is the hemming and hawing came from over his head to justify Casey's paycheck. If managers truly had a choice at all times, there'd be a ton of multimillionaires riding the pine in MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    My guess is the hemming and hawing came from over his head to justify Casey's paycheck. If managers truly had a choice at all times, there'd be a ton of multimillionaires riding the pine in MLB.
    You don't follow the Tigers much I take it?

Leyland loves Casey like Willy Loman loved Biff.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You don't follow the Tigers much I take it?

Leyland loves Casey like Willy Loman loved Biff.
    Didn't know that. At least he's admitting he's wrong about Casey. That's worth something.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

It isn’t exactly the production upgrade the Tigers were looking for
    When you buy a tomato, you don't get a turnip.

Sean Casey is Sean Casey. How people who run major league baseball clubs can't look at very basic statistics and interpet them puzzles me.
    I don't think a requirement of employment should be that you can never offend people. It's high time folks deal with being offended. It's another example of how we're becoming a bunch of wimps. - Person offended by NFL players not standing for national anthem.

What they see are those good seasons in the early part of the decade and expect him to repeat.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Sean Casey is Sean Casey. How people who run major league baseball clubs can't look at very basic statistics and interpet them puzzles me.
    Nah, its secret knowledge combined with rocket science.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I forgot. Who did we get for Casey?
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    I forgot. Who did we get for Casey?
    I think Casey was the Dave Williams trade.

I was trying to forget...
    Go Gators!

Haven't updated this for a few weeks:

Here is Casey's 2007 YTD Hit Chart at Comerica.

The guy is an absolute master at ground outs to the right side of the diamond, and fly outs to left / left center.

Oh, it looks like they have the prior years working, too. Cool!

2007 looks pretty similar to 2006, which looks pretty similar to...

And look at his 2007 YTD splits.

Talk about a guy who should never play during a day game.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Narron would never say something like Leyland did....or hell, like Lou did last night.

There's been PLENTY of times that this team needs somebody to...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    I think Casey was the Dave Williams trade.
    Which ended the tenure of Mr. Daniel O'Brien
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-02-2007 at 06:27 PM.

Turn Off Ads?