Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Another crazy idea...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,374

    Another crazy idea...

    If Dunn refuses to take an extension with the Reds in the $55 MM range, and we can't pry Saltalamacchia from Atlanta, what about trading Dunn and a pitching prospect (anyone not named Homer) to Texas for Mark Texeira, and moving Votto to LF?

    Dunn would most likely be much more amenable to signing at a discount rate with Texas, and the Rangers are seeking both OF help and a pitcher in return for Texeira, who is definitely on the block. Texeira is a switch hitter who is not even eligible for arbitration until after 2008. Votto has already played the OF some in Louisville this year. I would throw in Stubbs if thats what it took to get the deal done. Thoughts?
    Go BLUE!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,040

    Re: Another crazy idea...

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If Dunn refuses to take an extension with the Reds in the $55 MM range, and we can't pry Saltalamacchia from Atlanta, what about trading Dunn and a pitching prospect (anyone not named Homer) to Texas for Mark Texeira, and moving Votto to LF?

    Dunn would most likely be much more amenable to signing at a discount rate with Texas, and the Rangers are seeking both OF help and a pitcher in return for Texeira, who is definitely on the block. Texeira is a switch hitter who is not even eligible for arbitration until after 2008. Votto has already played the OF some in Louisville this year. I would throw in Stubbs if thats what it took to get the deal done. Thoughts?
    I understand the complications of Dunn's contract, but I think you're selling his value way too short.

  4. #3
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,745

    Re: Another crazy idea...

    From all I have heard, Votto is quite raw in the OF and is probably worse than Dunn in the OF right now defensively.

  5. #4
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,560

    Re: Another crazy idea...

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If Dunn refuses to take an extension with the Reds in the $55 MM range, and we can't pry Saltalamacchia from Atlanta, what about trading Dunn and a pitching prospect (anyone not named Homer) to Texas for Mark Texeira, and moving Votto to LF?

    Dunn would most likely be much more amenable to signing at a discount rate with Texas, and the Rangers are seeking both OF help and a pitcher in return for Texeira, who is definitely on the block. Texeira is a switch hitter who is not even eligible for arbitration until after 2008. Votto has already played the OF some in Louisville this year. I would throw in Stubbs if thats what it took to get the deal done. Thoughts?
    I'd do that but only if the Reds could sign Texiera long term. He is a hitter who could replace Dunn in the line-up, as a switch hitter would reduce the too many LH probelm, and provide Gold Glove caliber defense at 1B. Texiera would probably cost more than Dunn in a long term deal but that is one Dunn deal I'd do for certain. They could have Dunn, Stubbs and Travis Wood to get it done IMO. I wouldn't trade Dunn for many players, but Teixeira is one.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,374

    Re: Another crazy idea...

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    From all I have heard, Votto is quite raw in the OF and is probably worse than Dunn in the OF right now defensively.
    I could live with Votto learning on the job if it meant the switch hitting Texeira and his gold glove at 1B. With Hamilton in CF and Bruce in RF, that lineup, I mean,

    2B Phillips R
    CF Hamilton L
    RF Bruce L
    1B Teixeira S
    LF Votto L
    3B Encarnacion R
    SS Gonzalez R
    C Who Cares?!
    Go BLUE!!!

  7. #6
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Another crazy idea...

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If Dunn refuses to take an extension with the Reds in the $55 MM range, and we can't pry Saltalamacchia from Atlanta, what about trading Dunn and a pitching prospect (anyone not named Homer) to Texas for Mark Texeira, and moving Votto to LF?

    Dunn would most likely be much more amenable to signing at a discount rate with Texas, and the Rangers are seeking both OF help and a pitcher in return for Texeira, who is definitely on the block. Texeira is a switch hitter who is not even eligible for arbitration until after 2008. Votto has already played the OF some in Louisville this year. I would throw in Stubbs if thats what it took to get the deal done. Thoughts?
    Keep Dunn, Add Texeira.

    Trade Votto, Stubbs, Cueto and Wood for Marky Mark.

    Would you rather have Dunn in LF and Texeira at 1B, or Votto in LF and Texeira at 1B? That should be a no brainer.

    Stubbs is highly ranked defensively, but so far couldn't poor piss out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel offensively.

    Cueto and Wood? Pencil them in for 2010 at the earliest. At that point, it's still hard to say if they'll make any impact.

    Sure, Dunn and Texeira would get expensive down the road, but it would be very different to have some actual offense back in the Queen City, while adding a Gold Glove caliber 1B.

  8. #7
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,745

    Re: Another crazy idea...

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Keep Dunn, Add Texeira.

    Trade Votto, Stubbs, Cueto and Wood for Marky Mark.

    Would you rather have Dunn in LF and Texeira at 1B, or Votto in LF and Texeira at 1B? That should be a no brainer.

    Stubbs is highly ranked defensively, but so far couldn't poor piss out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel offensively.

    Cueto and Wood? Pencil them in for 2010 at the earliest. At that point, it's still hard to say if they'll make any impact.

    Sure, Dunn and Texeira would get expensive down the road, but it would be very different to have some actual offense back in the Queen City, while adding a Gold Glove caliber 1B.
    Given what I think Votto can do, I would take Votto and Teixeira when you add in the money they will earn.

    I also think you underestimate Stubbs offensively. He hit just fine in May. He is also injured, which could play a nice little factor into some of his hitting woes.

    Cueto in 2010 at the earliest? So at the earliest you could possibly see him moving to AA, AAA and to the majors is 3 years? Which level is he going to repeat for an entire season?

  9. #8
    Member Marc D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,684

    Re: Another crazy idea...

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Keep Dunn, Add Texeira.

    Trade Votto, Stubbs, Cueto and Wood for Marky Mark.

    Would you rather have Dunn in LF and Texeira at 1B, or Votto in LF and Texeira at 1B? That should be a no brainer.

    Stubbs is highly ranked defensively, but so far couldn't poor piss out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel offensively.

    Cueto and Wood? Pencil them in for 2010 at the earliest. At that point, it's still hard to say if they'll make any impact.

    Sure, Dunn and Texeira would get expensive down the road, but it would be very different to have some actual offense back in the Queen City, while adding a Gold Glove caliber 1B.

    I think the real question is would you rather have Dunn and Tex with a similar pitching staff as we have now, or would you rather have Votto and Tex with better pitching*?

    I'll take my chances on the latter personally but I wouldn't be against what you proposed if it came to pass.

    A Dunn, Hamilton, Bruce OF to go with a Texiera, EE, BP infield should be enough both offensively and defensively. If BC can pony up the dough and still put a pitching staff together then I'm excited about our chances.

    *I'm assuming the money saved on a LTC for Dunn would be spent wisely on effective MLB pitching(big assumption I know).

  10. #9
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Another crazy idea...

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    I think the real question is would you rather have Dunn and Tex with a similar pitching staff as we have now, or would you rather have Votto and Tex with better pitching*?

    I'll take my chances on the latter personally but I wouldn't be against what you proposed if it came to pass.

    A Dunn, Hamilton, Bruce OF to go with a Texiera, EE, BP infield should be enough both offensively and defensively. If BC can pony up the dough and still put a pitching staff together then I'm excited about our chances.

    *I'm assuming the money saved on a LTC for Dunn would be spent wisely on effective MLB pitching(big assumption I know).
    Cueto and Wood are still too far away to project MLB success/impact. Either or both could still go the Gruler and Howington route.

    Dunn and Texeira are known commodities. Cueto, Wood and Stubbs clearly aren't.

  11. #10
    Member Marc D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,684

    Re: Another crazy idea...

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Cueto and Wood are still too far away to project MLB success/impact. Either or both could still go the Gruler and Howington route.

    Dunn and Texeira are known commodities. Cueto, Wood and Stubbs clearly aren't.

    I'm not counting on them at all. I was assuming the payflex saved on Dunn would be spent on proven MLB pitching talent.

    To me it comes down to Tex+Votto+payflex(hopefully turned into MLB pitcher) vs Dunn+Tex and what we have for pitching in house for the next few years.

    The first option is how small market teams have to play imo.

  12. #11
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,747

    Re: Another crazy idea...

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Dunn and Texeira are known commodities. Cueto, Wood and Stubbs clearly aren't.
    We aren't the Yankees. I can say with pretty good certainty, that with the upcoming raises to Harang and Arroyo, the Reds can't afford both Teixara and Dunn in the line-up. Small market teams can't trade their only top prospects (especially when they aren't contending for quick fixes).

    For the Reds to compete, they will need to rely on their farm system to an extent. Obviously, the more established guys are more valuable, but when it means trading the farm for the established guy then it's not the right move.

    Right now, he's making 9.4M, and next season he's arbitration eligible, so a raise to the 12M+ level is likely. If the Reds had that kind of money to throw around right now, I'd greatly prefer they spend it in the FA market, even if they have to settle for a slight downgrade, because the prospects being given up is far too much. Based on the odds, there is a good chance that one develops into a mjor league quality player at cheap rates for multiple seasons.

  13. #12
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    17,937

    Re: Another crazy idea...

    There are two reasons why Teixeira won't be a Red...

    1. right now there are blogs for 29 mlb teams with threads about how their team could trade for him. There are probably at least ten teams that would seriously be interested.

    2. He's only got 4 years of service time and is already making $9M this season.....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25