Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Saturday June 2nd minor league updates

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Saturday June 2nd minor league updates

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I didn't know he had 2 fastballs. I always thought he was a 3 pitch pitcher.

Thanks for that info.

So he has a
    2 seam fastball
    4 seam fastball
    curveball
    changeup

Correct?
    Most pitchers throw both a 2 and 4 seam fastball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Chattanooga down 6-5 in the 8th

Pelland: 2 Innings, 2 Hits, 0 Runs, 0 BB, 2 K

Jay Bruce finished 3-for-5 with a double and two singles. Good to see him hitting well again after a bad week.

Carlos Guevara threw a scoreless ninth for the save.

Guevara: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K

Minor irony? If indeed Homer is called up for next Saturday, after all of the arguments I have made for his call-up, I won't be able to see it or hear it, as I will be on a vacation with the family next weekend with no access to the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Nothing a little time in the Gym won't fix. Those warning track shots will be Johnson's.
    Votto's current power (high total of 22 HRs in one year) is Major league average. There are differing opinions on his projected power (he is still only 23). I hope his power continues to develop. There is a qualitative difference between a major league first baseman that hits 15 -25 HRs a year (Casey) and one that hits 25-35 HRs a year (Konerko)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Votto's current power (high total of 22 HRs in one year) is Major league average. There are differing opinions on his projected power (he is still only 23). I hope his power continues to develop. There is a qualitative difference between a major league first baseman that hits 15 -25 HRs a year (Casey) and one that hits 25-35 HRs a year (Konerko)
    Playing in GABP might improve those numbers

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Minor irony? If indeed Homer is called up for next Saturday, after all of the arguments I have made for his call-up, I won't be able to see it or hear it, as I will be on a vacation with the family next weekend with no access to the game...
    Well if it does happen you can bet a lot of money that I will have that game on DVD and I am sure I could get you a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Yeah, but he will play about 20 more games in the Majors and the guy is also a doubles machine. 25 HR and 40 doubles is pretty impressive and that is what Votto will do.

Just out of curiosity, is it really the least bit easy to project power potential at the major league level? I don't think it is, myself. It's not like current sluggers were knocking out 40 HR seasons in the minors prior to call-ups. Isn't a 20+ HR type season with .900+OPS and lots of doubles in the minors the kind of thing you want to see from someone if you harbor hopes they can someday hit 30+ homers a season in the bigs?

Just out of curiosity, is it really the least bit easy to project power potential at the major league level? I don't think it is, myself. It's not like current sluggers were knocking out 40 HR seasons in the minors prior to call-ups. Isn't a 20+ HR type season with .900+OPS and lots of doubles in the minors the kind of thing you want to see from someone if you harbor hopes they can someday hit 30+ homers a season in the bigs?
    Yes. You beat me to it.

Just for example:

Highest minor league HR total on left/ highest MLB HR total on right

Chipper Jones: 15/45
    Barry Larkin: 10/33
    Jim Thome: 25/52
    Miguel Cabrera: 10/33
    Vladimir Guerrero: 24/44
    Jason Bay: 20/35
    David Wright: 15/27
    Travis Hafner: 28/42
    Jason Giambi: 12/43
    Vernon Wells: 12/33

Power is usualy the last tool to develop. Joey Votto is showing the necessary signs that indicate he is going to hit for pretty good power down the road. 46 doubles + 22 homers last year at age 22 in AA is very good. I would not be surprised to see Votto hit 30 homers and 40 doubles in the major leagues.

Thanks OBM, great post. That's EXACTLY what I thought. I just don't see how anyone can look at what Votto's doing and assume he cannot someday mash homeruns at high rate in the majors. I would say, as with all players, it's an open question until he actually does it. But I think he profiles like the kind of player who COULD...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Well, you better cancel your plans then

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Power is usualy the last tool to develop. Joey Votto is showing the necessary signs that indicate he is going to hit for pretty good power down the road. 46 doubles + 22 homers last year at age 22 in AA is very good. I would not be surprised to see Votto hit 30 homers and 40 doubles in the major leagues.
    I hope your optimism is well-placed. I want Votto to be able to contribute extra base hits as frequently in the majors as he did last year. If he did, it would be remarkable (for both him and the Reds). In the last 5 years, only Sean Casey has hit 40 or more doubles for the season (2004)for the Reds. I think Votto has adapted to AAA pitching in 2007 very well and very quickly. Clearly, if he stays healthy, and continues to work on his defense (which I'm not sure is major league ready) he is expected to take over the Reds' first base position soon. I am eager to see him do well, but I am trying to assess what to expect from him. Maybe I should just be pleased at his developmental progress to this point, and not start mapping his major league career before it has even begun. He has made great adjustments to shorten his swing in the last few years - cutting down his strikeouts and increasing his ability to make contact. This shows his ability to make adjustments to his swing as necessary, which speaks well of both his athleticism and his character.

Turn Off Ads?