Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lou Pinella Suspended

Re: Sweet Lou suspended...

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    Atleast Lou shows some passion out there.
    A-Rod reportedly showed some passion recently in Toronto....oh, wait, that was off the field....
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lou Pinella Suspended

Narron...., I can't believe how he just stands there. I haven't watched that many games but I don't remember him showing any real emotion when the team implodes, like today. You'd think he'd at least be sitting and shaking his head with his hands wrapped around it. These guys are so beat up that even they don't believe they can hold a lead. It's sort of like when Graves used to come in and blow one after another except it's all the relievers.

Re: Sweet Lou suspended...

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    Atleast Lou shows some passion out there.

I wish some of our players would get that angry when something went wrong in a game...
    They do, that's the problem. They go after each other. When was the last time you heard of a pitcher punching his catcher in the mouth? Zambrano is a loose cannon and a psycho.

And it seems Lou has not been able to control them. At least not up to this point.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Norm Charlton was on XM Friday talking to Dibble about Lou and their Reds days.

He said Rijo and Sabo got into a fight once, and Lou took them into the clubhouse and told them "go ahead, if you want to fight, go ahead and settle it now, get it over with and put it behind you".
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by 37red View Post
    Narron...., I can't believe how he just stands there. I haven't watched that many games but I don't remember him showing any real emotion when the team implodes, like today. You'd think he'd at least be sitting and shaking his head with his hands wrapped around it. These guys are so beat up that even they don't believe they can hold a lead. It's sort of like when Graves used to come in and blow one after another except it's all the relievers.
    I just don't think Narron is a outwardly demonstrative guy ala Sweet Lou.

But, at least to me, Narron looks like he wants to chew bark off trees when his team implodes. He looks like he's just seething to me. He just doesn't throw water coolers or kick dirt on umps. But some of those stares he has are mega-watt intensity. He feels it, he just doesn't make a big show of it.

Pay attention to the open sky

I don't know. Am I the only one who thinks a 60-year-old man dressed in a baseball uniform kicking dirt on an umpire just looks, well, ridiculous and juvenile?

At least throw a rosin grenade or something to spice things up.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

MLB also said Piniella made contact with Wegner during the outburst - which Piniella denied.
    Uh, ummm... Lou, hate to tell you, but you definitely made contact with the umpire. I think anyone who has seen the video can see that. The first time I saw it I said, "Oh-oh. Lou might get suspended for that contact with the umpire."

Keep denying it, Lou. The video makes your denial look like BS. Not sure if your denial is forgetfulness or craziness, but it definately is wrong.

Knowing Lou he was trying to deflect the attention given to Zambrano and Barrett. I hope the contact was just accidental.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Rumor has it that Lou may be losing his clubhouse. There are a lot of veterans on that team and they don't appreciate the way he's been throwing them under the bus all year while taking credit for all the good stuff that has happened.

My take is that they got Lou to turn that franchise around and win games. You may not like his style but he has won everywhere he's been except for Tampa Bay. All the holdovers are part of a losing culture so if I were running that club, I'd tell them to either accept Lou or we can find some where else for them to play.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

The suspension for Lou will be 4 games. That includes the 1 game he already served yesterday.

CHICAGO -- Major League Baseball suspended Chicago Cubs manager Lou Piniella four games, including the one already served Sunday, for his latest dirt-kicking tirade against an umpire, ESPN Radio 1000 in Chicago is reporting.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../scoop.monday/

The mix of "Sweet" Lou Piniella and the Lovable Loser Cubs already has been as combustible as feared, maybe even more so. Piniella threw tirades in back-to-back games last week, only to have a potentially lengthy streak of tirades snapped when the commissioner's office handed down what it originally called an "indefinite" suspension after it said Piniella made contact with an umpire in anger.

Though not announced, the suspension was initially set for five games. However, Piniella got the ban reduced to four after meeting with MLB executive vice president for administration John McHale. Presumably, Piniella had the sense to maintain his cool in that meeting.

Piniella shouldn't complain. MLB probably may have saved his health -- at least for the four games.

And for now, if he is having more tirades, at least they're not on TV. We've seen all this before from Piniella, though maybe not with this much frequency and air time. Cincinnati, Seattle and Tampa Bay -- his prior three stops -- don't get close to the coverage of the big-market, famous-for-losing Cubs, who have a pretty good shot at making it 99 straight seasons without a World Series championship this year.

Piniella has been a great manager in his career, and there's no doubt he is very entertaining. Yet at some point his continuing public complaints about his players' misdeeds will stop resonating.

His bosses spent more than $300 million to improve their fortunes last winter, presumably with Piniella's personal guidance and heavy input, and even if they won't say anything publicly, Piniella is wrong to complain aloud, as he did after Friday's embarrassing defeat (that's the one in which Carlos Zambrano kicked the tar -- and almost the teeth -- out of his catcher Michael Barrett, who went to the hospital to have his lip sewed back together). Afterward, Piniella seemed even more upset about the team's play, saying, "It's about time some of them start playing like major leaguers. Or get someone else in here who can catch the damn ball and run the bases properly."

Piniella has a long history of complaining about his players or complaining to his bosses that he needs better players. He once did this in Seattle after winning 116 games.

The Cubs have a lot of good players. The problem is, they're playing like garbage. Alfonso Soriano, Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez form as talented a middle of the order as anybody's, and both big free-agent pitchers, Ted Lilly and Jason Marquis, have more than lived up to their new contracts.

If this keeps up, Piniella may want to consider the possibility it isn't all on the players. Ten million of those free-agent dollars were spent on him, and as one AL scout put it, "Most people think he did a terrible job in Tampa." Sure, Tampa is an impossible job -- even more impossible than the Cubs -- but his performance and effort there might explain why they paid him $2 million just to leave. Piniella was probably lucky that either 1) no one else was paying attention, or 2) it was excused as Devil Rays-related. (Remember, George Steinbrenner had half a mind to hire Piniella last October.)

In any case, Piniella's Cubs will be something to watch. Sort of like a car crash.

Only a miracle can help the Cubs win a World Series.

It took a miracle for the RED SOX. (First team to ever come back from a 3-0 deficit, and maybe the last.)
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Turn Off Ads?