Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Former Dragons should get their shot with Reds

Former Dragons should get their shot with Reds

Former Dragons should get their shot with Reds
    Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Four players will make the Cincinnati Reds a better team in the future — the near future.

If you've watched the Class A Dayton Dragons enough the past few seasons, you know who they are: pitcher Homer Bailey, first baseman Joey Votto, shortstop Paul Janish and outfielder Jay Bruce.

None of them is quite ready to play in the big leagues. So what? Bring them up now.

Apparently, the Reds aren't a threat to win their division — and four raw rookies certainly won't make it happen. But why not get a start on the process?

Any first-time big-leaguer is going to be awed for a while. Get the awe out, and let them get acclimated with no team expectations until 2008.

Bailey may not be ready, but he is 5-1 with a 1.89 ERA at Class AAA Louisville. Votto may not be ready, but he is hitting .311 with eight homers and 32 RBIs in 51 games, also at Louisville.

Janish may not be ready, but he is as solid a shortstop as the Reds have in their organization and is hitting .260 at Class AA Chattanooga. Bruce, the youngest of the group, is hitting .322 with 10 homers and 35 RBIs in 51 games at Class A Sarasota. If nothing else, why is he still there?

Oh, I know. Among other things, the Reds own a $3.5 million shortstop in Alex Gonzalez. If he's so good, trade him for a decent pitcher, and Janish won't hurt you there.

Too soon? A certain third baseman named Mike Schmidt was called up too soon by the Philadelphia Phillies and hit .196 in his first full season. Pitcher Greg Maddux was a combined 8-18 his first two seasons with the Chicago Cubs with an ERA approaching 6.00.

Whatever happened to those guys?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...svc=7&cxcat=34

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Former Dragons should get their shot with Reds

What a homer article. You could make arguments for Homer and Votto, the other two no.

Gonzalez is putting up better ofensive numbers then Janish is in AA. That's the biggest joke of the article.

For every Schmidt, there is a Wagner.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think you could easily make the arguement for Janish as well.

Solid defense, light hitting position and he has great bat control and an excellent ability to take a walk and get on base. He wont hit for the power that Gonzo has, but he will make a lot less and still produce.

I have no problem with Janish only if you can get a good deal with Gonzo, I also believe that even though our division is very sucky, I dont think we have a chance. Im not saying blow up the whole team, I am saying guys who are ready for prime time need to be given a chance to get their feet wet.

I would take Valaika over Janish. Ive watched him in Dayton and I was in awe. He is the best prospect in Dayton, better than Stubbs and Francisco and Turner.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I would take Valaika over Janish. Ive watched him in Dayton and I was in awe. He is the best prospect in Dayton, better than Stubbs and Francisco and Turner.
    At the plate he is probably better, but defensively he is pretty poor at SS. Not only does he have weak range there, but he also has 10+ errors.

So could there be a defensive move in Valaikas future then? Please not to OF.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

he'll be a 2B or a 3B in the pros. My hope is a 2B with BP moving to SS.
    Go BLUE!!!

I see Valaika inheriting Freel's multi-position quasi-regular role. I think time in the OF would be good for him.

I could see Adam Rosales in a role like that as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

What? This is the Reds.

Eventualy EVERYONE plays LF. It's WK's fetish.... Well, that and really old people at 1b...

Turn Off Ads?