Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex Gonzalez Leaves Game with Leg Injury

Alex Gonzalez Leaves Game with Leg Injury

FYI

Not good. The Reds system lacks SS propects ready for the bigs. The only real options are GASP Castro and Pedro Lopez in AAA. I guess Janish is an option in AA.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Alex Gonzalez Leaves Game with Leg Injury

looked like a pulled quad or hamstring from the way he started then stopped again on the play.

got alil captain in u?

if he's out for any extended amount of time dare i say it castro to short and keppinger up from AAA

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    if he's out for any extended amount of time dare i say it castro to short and keppinger up from AAA
    Keppinger can't play SS. Remember when Seabass was on the bereavement list earlier in the year? it was Cruz that got the call not Keppinger. IF (and it's still if at this point) Gonzalez goes on the DL the most likely option is Lopez at AAA because he is on the 40 man roster. However, when Hamilton comes back, I assume they will waive Wise and give us 39 on the 40. In that case, Janish could be brought up from AA and out on the 40 man. I guess Cruz would also be an option, but that wouldn't make much sense considering they just waived him.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Keppinger can't play SS. Remember when Seabass was on the bereavement list earlier in the year? it was Cruz that got the call not Keppinger. IF (and it's still if at this point) Gonzalez goes on the DL the most likely option is Lopez at AAA because he is on the 40 man roster. However, when Hamilton comes back, I assume they will waive Wise and give us 39 on the 40. In that case, Janish could be brought up from AA and out on the 40 man. I guess Cruz would also be an option, but that wouldn't make much sense considering they just waived him.
    They started adding SS to his repertoire this year. He's started twice there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    They started adding SS to his repertoire this year. He's started twice there.
    IMO, that's nowhere near enough time to be expected to play the position at this high of level.

got alil captain in u?

if all fails they could move phillips to short in a pinch

How does this Pedro Lopez look? Any chance we see Janish or Valaika?

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    How does this Pedro Lopez look? Any chance we see Janish or Valaika?
    Pedro is a 23 year old SS who is slick with the glove, but doesn't have much of a bat. He's hitting .242 and has an OPS south of .700 in AAA. I bet he is better then Castro, though.

Janish is a possibility if for no other reason then that they brought up Cruz from AA early in the year. Janish is hitting .267 in AAA, but doe have a .373 OBP.

I don't think there is an chance Valaika gets the call. No way, IMO, does he jump from low A to the majors.

If I had to guess, Lopez will get the call. However, I haven't heard the seriousness of the injury to Seabass. He may not even go on the DL. It didn't look too bad.
    Last edited by reds44; 06-03-2007 at 05:10 PM.

Right hamstring strain for Gonzo. Listed as day-to-day.

He still might go on the DL. Without him and Freel, we have no backups at 3B, SS, or 2B. I don't know if the Reds can take that risk.

Let's all just hope Alex will be okay.

I love Keppinger, but with Castro and Phillips healthy while Hopper is on the club, I don't think it would be him.

Since they're on the 40-man roster, I think Lopez or Cruz would get the call. My guess is Cruz if it's a 15-day stint for Gonzalez since Cruz has cleared waivers a few times before, which he would have to do if he stays in the Reds organization.

And if it's possible to have less than zero percent chance of being the Major Leagues this year, that's the boat Valaika would be in right now. Janish's odds are higher, but I don't see him as more than a September call-up at this point.

Cruz isn't on the 40 man roster anymore. He was waived (and cleared) a week or so ago, so he and Janish are in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    if all fails they could move phillips to short in a pinch
    Then who plays 2nd? Hopper played there in the minor leagues in years past, but I don't think you want your MIF both being unfamilar with their positions.

EDIT: I think you mean if they killed up Keppinger, BP could play SS in an emergency situation with Keppinger and 2nd. That makes sense.
    Last edited by reds44; 06-03-2007 at 05:45 PM.

I hope we put Phillips at SS and somebody who can hit at 2b. Why can't Aaron Herr get a chance, for instance?

Turn Off Ads?