Thread: If you had to drop one closer

If you had to drop one closer

who would you cut from this list?

Capps
    Wheeler
    Guardado
    Hennessey
    Gregg

I'm going to drop one to pick up Homer Bailey. Who has the least value?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: If you had to drop one closer

Guardado or Gregg

Benitez puts a hamper on Gregg's value and Eddie isn't pitching yet and there are no guarantees on how he'll perform.

Definitely Guardado. Desipte Eddie's drive he is still coming back from TJ surgery and I cant imagine he'll be the best option to close for the Reds when he does return (sad as that may be).

Suprisingly the Benitez trade hasnt really affected the closer situation in Florida, yet. Mgr. Freddi Gonzalez made the bold and IMHO the right decision and backed Gregg as closer. So as long as Gregg continues to impress and Benitez turns in volatile performances I think Gregg sticks as closer there.

Also Id keep an eye on Hennessey. He has very underwhelming stuff and has some very shaky outings recently. Kevin Correia would be the next in line so be ready to pick him up if Hennessey fails.

Between Gregg and Hennessey I believe Hennessey loses his job first. If Gregg doesnt stick its likely a situation where Benitez pitches his rather large posterior off in Florida and not from ineffectiveness on Gregg's part.

Yeah, definitely Guardado. He's not a guarantee to come back soon, and even if he does, there's a very good chance he won't do so well. If I had to pick a second closer to drop, I'd go with Hennessey. Although Benitez is gone, Hennessey is a real soft tosser, and I don't see him last too long.

Coming back from Tommy John surgery usually takes well over a year to recover. Guardado is throwing before a year is up. He will most likely reinjure himself. I think he would be the best one to drop.

I have to say Guardado, too. It looks like the Marlins are sticking with Gregg (from everything I've read), even after the Benitez acquisition.

I would also say Guardado. But wtch what happens in Florida.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

I'm going with Wheeler, particularly after tonight's debacle. Just another blown save in his string of crappy outings. This time he allowed 3 runs in the ninth. Meanwhile, Brad Lidge is pitching very well. My prediction - Lidge is named the closer before the Stros-Sox series this weekend.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    I'm going with Wheeler, particularly after tonight's debacle. Just another blown save in his string of crappy outings. This time he allowed 3 runs in the ninth. Meanwhile, Brad Lidge is pitching very well. My prediction - Lidge is named the closer before the Stros-Sox series this weekend.
    I agree, and after dropping Guardado last week to pick up Homer, I dropped Wheeler last night. The debate now is whether or not to take a flyer on Guardado.
    Go BLUE!!!

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

And now Lidge, after being reinserted into the CL role as predicted, blows his first opportunity. Oh well, maybe he'll record a garbage win...?
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Turn Off Ads?