Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Single A ball is coming to Bowling Green, KY, Reds Affiliate?

Single A ball is coming to Bowling Green, KY, Reds Affiliate?

Next season Bowling Green, Ky, will be getting a Single A ballclub. The owner of the New Hampshire Fishercats (AA) will be bringing an expansion team or a moved team. There's been some interesting speculation, here locally, in an almost X-files type way, of the new teams affiliation. I thought I'd post some of the things I've heard at water coolers and let everyone discuss.

Some have said since the Reds are probably severing ties with Sarasota for spring training, therefore they would probaly lose their high A team there too. Thus making Dayton the new high A team, since they are probably one of the largest towns to have an A team, let alone a low A team. My argument would be that Dayton is in the Midwest league, and all their teams are low A, so they'd have to go elsewhere, which probably won't happen.

Bowling Green has just started playing all Reds games on their AM station, in a primarily Cardinals fan town. Even though BG is only 3 hours from Cincy. This may just be a coinsidence. (Insert X-files here)

Ballparkwatch.com has reported that the new team will probably be in the South Atlantic league. They've also said that the Hagerstown Suns are having trouble with their current ownership/ stadium deal for some time so they'd be likely to move.

Ballparkwatch.com has also stated that more and more teams are changing affiliations due to geography. Such as they say that the Columbus Clippers will probably end up being a Cleveland AAA affiliate soon.

Just some food for thought. I'd of course love to see a Reds affiliate down here, but as I said this is just stuff I've heard at water coolers, and don't put much stock in it, but figured it was a way to get a conversation started on here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Single A ball is coming to Southern, KY, Reds Affiliate?

The high-A leagues are the Florida State League, the Carolina League, and the California League.

Dayton and Bowling Green aren't really likely to land in any of those leagues.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I really doubt Dayton would ever move to High A.

The three High A leagues are the Cal League, the Carolina League and the Florida State League - all of which aren't even close to matching up geographically with Dayton.

I could see Bowling Green joining up with the Carolina League, it's a stretch but not as far as seeing Dayton move there.

EDIT - I see Sandy made the same point I did.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

The Reds like having their High-A team in the FSL, right there with their spring training operations. If they move from Sarasota and stay in Florida, their FSL affiliate will probably move with them.

Dayton is a bad geographic fit for High-A. There's nothing close.
    Not all who wander are lost

I would definitely say that if the Reds move to Arizona, they would move back to having a team in the Cal League - a la - Stockton a few years ago.

They'd also shift from the GCL to the AZL for Rookie Ball. But that's really the only move I'd see in the future. Chattanooga & Billings have been Reds franchises for seemingly forever, and Louisville makes more sense to the Reds than Columbus does. Dayton is a perfect club for the Reds as well (half the distance than to Columbus) as a natural geographic extension, and their attendance means that the Reds would be stupid to give that up.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I could see Bowling Green joining up with the Carolina League, it's a stretch but not as far as seeing Dayton move there.
    Yeah, it's funny how geography doesn't always play a role in it. The Nashville Sounds and Memphis Redbirds are in the Pacific Coast League (AAA). I'm sure they love the long trips to play the Portland Beavers and Fresno Grizzlies.

I've heard this same thing from local sports writers. I live in Bowling Green [essentially] and I'm very excited and hopeful that this is a true rumor.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Truthfully, Dayton fits better with the Eastern League (AA) than any high-A league.

Quote Originally Posted by Jharb74 View Post
    Yeah, it's funny how geography doesn't always play a role in it. The Nashville Sounds and Memphis Redbirds are in the Pacific Coast League (AAA). I'm sure they love the long trips to play the Portland Beavers and Fresno Grizzlies.

There used to be 3-AAA leagues. The American Association was broken up after the 1997 season, and the teams split between the PCL and the IL.

Nashville, New Orleans, Iowa, Oklahoma City, Omaha joined the PCL. Bufflao, Louisville and Indianapolis joined the PCL.

Memphis was a PCL expansion team in the 1998 season.

Geography is more important in the A-leagues, because of travel expenses.
    Last edited by SandyD; 06-03-2007 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    There used to be 3-AAA leagues. The American Association was broken up, and the teams split between the PCL and the IL.

And geography is more important in the A-leagues, because of travel expenses.
    Yeah the all the leagues below AAA ball travel by bus, so Geography is a big factor.

In AAA they graduate to plane travel, so it matters much less.

A few years ago, there was a AA team in Shreveport -- Texas League. They played a 17-inning game ... or something close (ended after midnight) ... then rode the bus back to Shreveport (about 400 miles) and played a 14-inning game the next night. No off day.

Oh, and I've known a couple of PCL games postponed because the airline lost the visiting team's luggage ... which included their equipment.

In another affiliation rumor, I was speaking with a gentlemen who works for the Columbus Clippers and he said that they hoped to attract either the Reds or the Indians as their major league affiliation when they move into their new stadium in 2009. He noted that their contract with Washington ends that year and he believed that the Indians and Reds AAA affiliate contracts ended that year as well. Is this info correct? I don't know anything about the Reds contract with Louisville, but I would think Louisville would be a better location for the Reds...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    Truthfully, Dayton fits better with the Eastern League (AA) than any high-A league.
    I've been informed by a couple of people in the Dragons front office is that Chattanooga will kick and scream if the Reds pulled their AA team from there.

I'd rather play Akron, Altoona, Erie, Reading, Binghamton etc. rather than head to Iowa.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    In another affiliation rumor, I was speaking with a gentlemen who works for the Columbus Clippers and he said that they hoped to attract either the Reds or the Indians as their major league affiliation when they move into their new stadium in 2009. He noted that their contract with Washington ends that year and he believed that the Indians and Reds AAA affiliate contracts ended that year as well. Is this info correct? I don't know anything about the Reds contract with Louisville, but I would think Louisville would be a better location for the Reds...
    too many geographical possibities to name.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Let the Indians have Columbus.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?