Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Single A ball is coming to Bowling Green, KY, Reds Affiliate?

Re: Single A ball is coming to Southern, KY, Reds Affiliate?

Pretty much my take too Mrs Hammer. My wife works for the city here [no she doesn't have any inside info, believe me lol] and thats pretty much how it stands.

The city has agreed to a tax increase to fun a stadium, new park [not baseball park, but with swings and fountains and stuff] and some other development in the area.

So, we shall see.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yeah, a lot of it is still up in the air. Although the town officials would have you thnk it's 100%.

Back in 04 BG tried to do a drive to get minor league ball here, and needed something like 2,000 season ticket sales, and only sold around 1,200. Of course they made you sign up for a 5 year plan, and for the first year the team would play at Western KY University's small stadium. So I can see why it failed.

BG has had huge problems recently with government officials embezeling millions of $'s. Not to mention a new $800k skateboard park that is in trouble. And a Transpark that will soon be like Flint Michigan, from a Michael Moore movie.

It's pretty much like a modern day version of The Music Man. Or for those of you that are younger, that Simpsons episode where the guy comes to town to swindle them into a monorail.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    You got some bad info. Chattanooga wanted to end their affiliation after 2006. Castellini himself had to go to Chattanooga and convince them to stay with Reds. And that whatever percieved issues they had would be solved.
    Yep, must have since Bob Murphy, president of the Dayton Dragons took the time to answer my questions during a Dragons game and that was his answer. Same thing when Mike Vanderwood, the Dragons director of broadcasting told me what I had presented earlier about Chattanooga wanting to stay with the Reds.

Geographically, it makes more sense for the Reds to have a AA Eastern League team than a Southern League team. Geographically speaking only.

Personally I'd rather have a AA in Dayton than a low-A team.

But, I've been in Joseph's shoes before, and giddy's a great word for it.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I live in Glasgow which is a 1/2 hour from Bowling Green. Joseph, I didn't realize we were this close. We need to grab a beer sometime. Also, whoever said that BG is 3 hours from Cincinnati must drive really, really fast. From Cave City, it's 3 hours driving 75 mph.

As far as the minor league team, I haven't heard that, but I haven't really kept up with anything like that since the previous plan was scrapped. I would love it. I might even buy season tickets if the plans are solid.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I live in Glasgow which is a 1/2 hour from Bowling Green. Joseph, I didn't realize we were this close. We need to grab a beer sometime. Also, whoever said that BG is 3 hours from Cincinnati must drive really, really fast. From Cave City, it's 3 hours driving 75 mph.

As far as the minor league team, I haven't heard that, but I haven't really kept up with anything like that since the previous plan was scrapped. I would love it. I might even buy season tickets if the plans are solid.
    Sounds great pal. I actually live in Allen County, but work in BG, so I never actually go into Scottsville.

We usually make it from where we are to the 'nati in about 3:15 or so. Yes I speed a little.

As I understand it though, this is just a continuation of the previous plan, just updated and such, but I could be wrong.

Here's an update from Ballparkwatch.com.
    By the way, the logo they have next to this little blurb is the South Atlantic League.

Baseball back on Bowling Green agenda NEW!
    Posted June 12, 2007
    Tonight Bowling Green city commissioners will decide whether to fund a new downtown ballpark for a Low Class A Sally League team. The team would be supplied by current New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Class AA; Eastern League) owner Art Solomon. Glasgow-based developer Alliance Corp. plans a variety of commercial and residential redevelopment for downtown, including a parking garage, hotel and the ballpark. The city and Alliance currently have a memorandum of understanding saying they'll work toward such an agreement. The tax increment district would send back to the developer part of the future increase in tax revenues from the area generated by the redevelopment.

For those interested in this, the city approved 251 million in development funding including 115 million for the ballpark, parking, the circus square, and some other related projects.

Looks like we may be getting close!

Yeah, it did go through!
    What's sad is it seems like it's taking forever.

Let's have a vote to see if we need to keep pursuing this, see ya in a month. Once that month is up, repeat above sentence.

Yet a man can buy an NHL team in Nashville and move it to Canada within days.

From the BG paper today:
    Bowling Green city commissioners wrestled with two contentious and high-profile issues last night, deciding unanimously to sign a contract to redevelop part of downtown and areas adjacent to Western Kentucky University, and informally allocating more than $2.1 million to 23 nonprofit agencies or programs.

Rick Kelley, chairman of the Play Ball! '05 committee, showed commissioners a map sketching a long redevelopment area, with a narrow line between Center and Kentucky streets connecting bulges on each end. On one of the roughly seven central downtown blocks at the northeast end of the district, a minor league baseball stadium is planned. The other end covers several projects on and next to Western's campus. The total district covers about 44 acres, excluding public buildings, Kelley said.

Within that area, there are plans for $251 million in development, he said. Of that, $115 million would be public projects, including the ballpark, an 800-space parking garage, Circus Square Park and the Southern Kentucky Performing Arts Center, renovation of Van Meter Auditorium and construction of two parking lots for Western.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jharb74 View Post
    Yet a man can buy an NHL team in Nashville and move it to Canada within days.
    Not really the subject of the thread, but that's a long way from being a done deal.
    Not all who wander are lost

This whole minor league team in BG is interesting, as I travel to BG on business at least once a year. It'd be nice to have something to do in the evening, other than saddling up to the bar at Outback.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    This whole minor league team in BG is interesting, as I travel to BG on business at least once a year. It'd be nice to have something to do in the evening, other than saddling up to the bar at Outback.
    If not for the fact you are a Buckeyes fan I'd take you to some local bars, but that kills the deal. :

Kidding of course. I'm pretty excited to have something to do of that nature here. I hope its a Reds affiliate still.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Not really the subject of the thread, but that's a long way from being a done deal.
    Very true. Just a little rant, that I tossed in there since I had just read some more info on that today.

I don't know anything about Bowling Green getting a team but I do know that Dayton is going no where and will remain the low a affiliate of the Reds. Dayton can't move or switch leagues without the Reds approval. They are in the Reds "territory" as established by Major League and Minor League Baseball, which is why Dayton didn't have professional baseball from 1949 to 1999 until the Reds finally gave approval to have a team there. So the Reds would have to ok any move regarding the Dayton franchise, they (Dayton) could not just decide to switch affiliates or leagues.

Secondly a Dayton franchise move to AA would not be approved (at least not to the Eastern League). Mandalay, who owns Dayton, also owns the AA Erie Sea Wolves who currently play in the Eastern League so there cannot be duel ownership of clubs in the same league and there is no way that Mandalay is selling Dayton, so AA talk for Dayton is a moot point as is a low A affialiate of the Reds in Bowling Green, KY.

Also, the Hagerstown team that has been mentioned (in a few posts) in regards to a potential move is also owned by Mandalay, so if that were to move, it would cost the New Hampshire group plenty of $$. Based on what they have done in Dayton and elsewhere, they won't give anything away. Plus all of this speculation just has to add value to the Hagerstown franchise if it is for sale. If you look at Mandalay's track record..... Dayton and Frisco,TX (moving from Rockford, IL and Shreveport, LA) they buy teams to either restructure them or to move them themselves not to sell off to other groups.
    Last edited by Zippy McGee; 06-14-2007 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Yep, must have since Bob Murphy, president of the Dayton Dragons took the time to answer my questions during a Dragons game and that was his answer. Same thing when Mike Vanderwood, the Dragons director of broadcasting told me what I had presented earlier about Chattanooga wanting to stay with the Reds.

Geographically, it makes more sense for the Reds to have a AA Eastern League team than a Southern League team. Geographically speaking only.

Personally I'd rather have a AA in Dayton than a low-A team.

But, I've been in Joseph's shoes before, and giddy's a great word for it.
    It sounds like you got the "company line" more than bad info. I doubt that anyone from one Reds affiliate would pass along information that would be unfavorable about another one. At least you would hope that would be the case.

Here's the article about how Castellini had to visit Chattanooga and smooth things out to keep Lookouts in the fold.

"The Chattanooga Lookouts will remain dressed in red.

Lookouts owner Frank Burke signed a two-year player development contract extension Wednesday afternoon with the Cincinnati Reds through the 2008 season. Burke had planned on waiting until September before renewing or choosing a different parent club, but he started changing his mind last Thursday when new Reds owner Bob Castellini led a contingent to BellSouth Park.

Chattanooga has been Cincinnati’s Class AA affiliate since 1988.
    "Bob Castellini is the reason we are doing this," Burke said. "When we met last week, I told him that we felt like we had been taken for granted, and that I didn’t care for that feeling. I told him there has been so much chaos over the last few years with all the changes that have gone on, and that I just didn’t feel like we were part of the Reds organization.

"I told him that I want to feel like we’re a part of what they do, and he certainly made me feel that way, and I think that will continue."

New Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky and new Reds director of player development Johnny Almaraz accompanied Castellini to Chattanooga last week. Almaraz returned Wednesday afternoon with the player development contract. "This was extremely important to the organization," Almaraz said. "To me, Chattanooga is synonymous with the Cincinnati Reds. I remember getting drafted by the Reds in 1988, and I remember Chattanooga being the place to come and play. It’s kind of setting you up to play at the major league level. It’s like our back door, and it’s always been that way.
    "It’s a great place with a great facility, and they’ve got a great owner who’s been very cooperative with Cincinnati and has also extended his hands out to players in times of need."

Castellini said he was delighted by the deal and is ready to continue the "tremendous relationship with Frank Burke and the Lookouts."

Chattanooga and Cincinnati are currently in the last year of a four-year contract that was signed March 29, 2002. Burke, who has worked with three Reds general managers and six Reds farm directors since taking over the Lookouts in 1995, had the option of signing another four-year deal but chose the shorter term.

"I thought that we ought to start with a two since it is all new," he said. "That will give us both time to make sure we both live up to what we said we were going to do."

Almaraz said the length of the extension is not relevant. "We’re extremely happy with the two-year extension," Almaraz said. "I plan to be here for a few more years, and hopefully we can continue this relationship, and I’m sure that we will. We’re going to do everything that we can to help Chattanooga, and we’re going to listen to Frank Burke. He’s a big part of the organization."

The 19-year partnership with Chattanooga is Cincinnati’s longest among its four full-season affiliates. The Reading, Pa., Phillies have been affiliated with Philadelphia since 1967, which is the longest pairing involving a Double-A team.

Chattanooga won the Southern League title in its first year with Cincinnati but hasn’t since. The Lookouts had the best regular-season record (87-53) among Double-A teams two years ago but bottomed out last season at 53-83.

The Lookouts lead the North Division this season, one that began with Baseball America ranking Cincinnati’s minor league system last among the 30 big-league teams.

"This hasn’t been about the winning or losing," Burke said. "It’s been about the chaos. Castellini is one of the more driven people I’ve ever met, and they are determined to turn this thing around from top to bottom. "There are worse places to attach our star to and, for the most part, the Reds have been relatively fair to us over time. They feel strongly about being here."

Cincinnati has played three exhibition games at BellSouth since 2000 but none since 2004. Burke requested an exhibition before this season but never heard back from Reds officials. When Castellini visited last week, Burke said the two discussed the possibility.

"We’re not allowed to tie it to an agreement, nor would I ever do that," Burke said. "I just said we want to be considered, and that it’s a tremendous event for Chattanooga. It’s a tremendous event for us, and we’ve gotten better at it each time."

Interesting that Lookouts complaints seem to be centered on organizational choas and lack of exhibition games.

Now, Almarez who appears to have been major player in this is gone, a manager is fired, and there was no exihibition game this year.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Turn Off Ads?