Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Single A ball is coming to Bowling Green, KY, Reds Affiliate?

Re: Single A ball is coming to Southern, KY, Reds Affiliate?

Here's a new update from BG's paper today. I'll just put part of it, it's a long and boring article.
    On a side note, it will take a miracle for a team to be here next year, unless they play at Western KY's stadium. I drove by the proposed site, the other day, and unless they can bulldoze a handful of buildings, soon, it won't happen.

...The downtown pieces include a minor-league baseball stadium on one block, for which investor Art Solomon has pledged to buy a major-league-affiliated team to locate in Bowling Green for at least 20 years, with local investors having first option to buy the team after that; at least one upscale hotel, with a small nearby conference center; an 800-space parking garage; and a variety of unspecified shops, restaurants, apartments, condominiums and offices. On Western's end, the agreement includes renovation of Van Meter Auditorium and construction of two parking lots, with a recently announced private development called The Boulevards at Bowling Green possibly sharing in TIF funding.

The city's deal with Alliance calls for the sale of $100 million in bonds to help build many of the planned projects. It specifies that 80 percent of the eligible money from future tax revenue will go to help pay off those bonds, with about 85 percent of that tax money coming from what would otherwise have gone to the state.

The county would be committing 80 percent of its future revenues within that area to the project, Kelley said.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yet another update....
    I actually wrote Art Solomon (The NH Fishercats Owner moving a team to BG) about 2 months ago. He just wrote me back.
    He didn't divulge too much as to what team would be moving or the affiliation but I found it interesting.
    As a reference I characterized BG as a town that I originally thought of as a hillbilly/ moonshine town, being from Ohio originally. I told him that I was very wrong and it's a great town to raise a family, hence his comment...

Hi (Insert My Real Name Here):

I’ve been traveling on business recently so this is my first opportunity to respond to your e-mail. Thanks for taking the time to write.

We’re extremely excited about bringing a minor league team to Bowling Green. Now that I’ve visited several times I agree with your characterization of the area. Our plan is to bring affordable family-oriented baseball/entertainment and a huge commitment to the community.

Because the process of relocating a minor league team and building a new stadium takes time, our current plan is to have everything ready by the 2009 season. Best wishes in the meantime.

Art Solomon

--
    Arthur Solomon
    781-250-5910

Thanks for that note Jharb.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Could the affiliation be the SaraReds High A team? It seems that situation is becoming somewhat sticky down in Sarasota.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Update:
    Some people have told me that local radio stations (local radio is the reason I have XM!) are reporting that BG is getting the Columbus Catfish. Their lease is up with their current stadium after the 2008 season. As is their contract with Tampa Bay Devil Rays. So it's anyones guess as to what team will be affiliated with the new BG team.
    Of course no one is officially saying that the Columbus Catfish are going, since they need to sell tickets for another season.

I did find this article from a Columbus (GA) reporter that did some investigating.

http://www.topix.net/content/kri/200...ddy-the-waters

Update:

This was posted today. Looks like by Oct. 22nd they'll know something and may make it public knowledge....

"They're being very confidential in terms of the name of the team they'd be bringing to Bowling Green, but it's my understanding the owner, Art Solomon, has an option that he's hoping to exercise October 22nd," Mayer Walker added.

http://www.wbko.com/news/headlines/10585797.html

Good information there. Thanks.

The Bowling Green city council/commission voted to approve 25 million in a city bond to help finance the team after the prospective team owner said he had to have an agreement by February 5th.

Felt a little like being held hostage to be told forever the developers were footing the bill, then to be told its was 25 million or they were walking.

Still, its on as of now. Mayor Walker has said thats it though, no more money.

Re: Single A ball is coming to Bowling Green, KY, Reds Affiliate?

According to today's paper (2/10/08) the deal is now finalized, and will be the Columbus Catfish (GA) moving to Bowling Green to start in 2009. I'm sure this will help with attendace for the very last season in Columbus, GA. (insert sarcasm here)

Much like most local (printed) newspapers, we've pretty much known this for some time now, from the internet. So it's just the official word. Right now they are a Tampa Bay affiliate, but their affiliation is up after this season.
    Local grumblings say it may still be the Reds, or Phillies. Don't shoot the messenger on that last line, I'm not up on the affiliation contracts.

I did drive by the proposed site of the new stadium today. There are still buildings and a lot of land to be moved. Good luck to the contractors having it ready by April 2009. The first game people may be sitting on piles of dirt.

Could the Sarasota Reds become the Bowling Green team? Or are there league affiliations preventing that from happening?

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Could the Sarasota Reds become the Bowling Green team? Or are there league affiliations preventing that from happening?
    This team is low A just like Dayton. It would be tough to get them in High A. Currently they are affiliated with Tampa Bay.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

That site is nothing to be concerned with at all. My wife works two blocks from there so I go by it all the time. I wouldn't be surprised to see it razed by early april.

Word i still get is it will be the reds low A affiliate. Don't know how that works with Dayton, if they'll move up or what, but....we'll see.

I haven't followed this thread much at all, but I wonder whether it's not possible that we'll add a third Single A club added. If so, maybe another club will also add another Single A club and they'll both go into the South Atlantic League, the league where Lexington plays. A number of clubs carry three Single A teams. I guess it's possible too that since we're leaving Sarasota, that we'll pull out of the Fla. State League and put a Rookie club in Bowling Green in the Appalachian League which only has nine teams presently.

But if the Reds are really interested in furthering their development, I wonder if they shouldn't add a third Single A club like other ML teams have. I just don't see Dayton leaving - that's a very successful franchise.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    That site is nothing to be concerned with at all. My wife works two blocks from there so I go by it all the time. I wouldn't be surprised to see it razed by early april.

Word i still get is it will be the reds low A affiliate. Don't know how that works with Dayton, if they'll move up or what, but....we'll see.
    I don't know how that would work, as Dayton would have to join the Carolina League, Florida State League or California League.... and they are nowhere near the other teams. I don't think that the Reds are going to leave Dayton given the success of the team (in terms of fan following, it doesn't get any better).

I'm a BG resident as well Joseph, thanks for the updates. This will be great if it does turn out to be a Reds affiliate as the city would be less interested in a Phillies team IMO.

Turn Off Ads?