Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Single A ball is coming to Bowling Green, KY, Reds Affiliate?

Re: Single A ball is coming to Bowling Green, KY, Reds Affiliate?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I haven't followed this thread much at all, but I wonder whether it's not possible that we'll add a third Single A club added. If so, maybe another club will also add another Single A club and they'll both go into the South Atlantic League, the league where Lexington plays. A number of clubs carry three Single A teams. I guess it's possible too that since we're leaving Sarasota, that we'll pull out of the Fla. State League and put a Rookie club in Bowling Green in the Appalachian League which only has nine teams presently.

But if the Reds are really interested in furthering their development, I wonder if they shouldn't add a third Single A club like other ML teams have. I just don't see Dayton leaving - that's a very successful franchise.
    It's my understanding that part of the agreement was that the team had to be a member of the Sally League. So, I don't think having the new team become a Rookie League team is an option.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHammer View Post
    It's my understanding that part of the agreement was that the team had to be a member of the Sally League. So, I don't think having the new team become a Rookie League team is an option.
    The Sally League would make the most sense - again I wonder if we're not contemplating adding a third Single A club - a number of other clubs have three Single A clubs.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Mrs Hammer is right, it is a Sally league team.

As mentioned before it IS the Columbus Catfish, currently of Tampa Bay Ray association that are being relocated to BG.

As for the Dayton situation, I don't know the logistics of change at all. I just know I keep hearing Reds from people in the 'know' about this stuff. Perhaps the notion of an additional Single A team is an option, I'm not sure the rules in relation to number of teams you can have.

I don't mean to scare any Dayton fans at all, as I do NOT see the Dayton situation changing considering how great it is for the Reds and Dragons.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

The Reds are part owners of the Dayton team. I'd be stunned if this Bowling Green team became affiliated with the Reds. Only way I could see it happening is if the Sally league was going to expand by 2 teams. Because if the Reds took over BG, the Rays need a team also.

The odds are far more likely, it will just be some other team.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I just hope that BG will support a team in the long run. Reds affiliate or anyone else. I know I will. A lot of people are complaining, and there have been a few angry letters to the editor. It stems from the way local government has pretty much messed up a lot of "big ticket," items.

It should be a good indication as to some of the dates of this thread as to how long this has taken. Considering this was pretty much a done deal a long time ago. I just hope this Art Solomon guy isn't too cheesed off, with having to pay for all these extensions while local gov. had all of their exploritory findings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Dayton Dragons is a middle-A team and not a low-A team. There are two low-A leagues, and the Reds don't have a team in other one. Maybe the Reds could add a third A-ball team.

There is already an Ohioan team in the New York-Penn League, a low-A league, but it's in East Ohio while Bowling Green is in West Ohio. I don't know if that would be too far away since more than half of the teams are based in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    but it's in East Ohio while Bowling Green is in West Ohio.
    psst...Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Jharb74 View Post
    psst...Bowling Green, Kentucky.
    Hahaha. I really need to stop skimming so much.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The Reds are part owners of the Dayton team. I'd be stunned if this Bowling Green team became affiliated with the Reds. Only way I could see it happening is if the Sally league was going to expand by 2 teams. Because if the Reds took over BG, the Rays need a team also.

The odds are far more likely, it will just be some other team.
    The Reds are NOT part owners of the Dayton team. Never have been. I'm not sure how this could be any more simple. The Dragons and the Reds are going to stay affiliated.

As a resident of Dayton, I am hardly "scared" that Bowling Green is coming into exsistance. Great for them. I hope they are very sucessful. No chance they ever outdraw Dayton and 580,000 + people a season. So beleive me the Reds are not going to Bolwing Green. Not now, not ever.

The Dragons are not going to be a High A Team, a Double A tean or anything else. They are in the MWL and that is where they are going to stay. Unless Bowling Green joins the CAL League, The Carolina League or the Florida State League, they have ZERO chance of being a Reds affiliate.

I get that there are a bunch of Reds fans in Kentucky who would love to see the Reds get a presence down there. But you all need to plan a road trip to either Dayton or Chattanooga becuase that is as close as the Reds are going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    The Sally League would make the most sense - again I wonder if we're not contemplating adding a third Single A club - a number of other clubs have three Single A clubs.
    Forgot this agrument. There is not a single major league franchise that has three single A clubs. The two "single A" leagues are the Midwest League and the South Atlantic League. The New York Penn League and the Northwest League are "Short Season A" Leagues. Not the same thing. Major League Baseball has specifically prohibited teams from two full season A teams at the same level. No team has two MWL or Sally affiliations just as there are not two teams from the same franchise at the High A level (CAL, Carolina or Florida State). The Reds can't just "add" a third full A level team.

Zip, as I said. I have not heard word one about the Reds giving up Dayton. I have heard this Sally league team will be affiliated with them.

That doesn't make my information right.

Dayton could stay in the midwest league and be an A ball team for the reds and the Reds could dump Sarasota as an A ball team and add the BG team.

I dunno.

Then again neither do you. So there's no need to be so forceful.

If I want to see Reds minor league ball, I'll go to Louisville, its closer than Dayton or Chattanooga, at least until the BG team starts.

Thats me making a joke, for the record.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy McGee View Post
    Forgot this agrument. There is not a single major league franchise that has three single A clubs. The two "single A" leagues are the Midwest League and the South Atlantic League. The New York Penn League and the Northwest League are "Short Season A" Leagues. Not the same thing. Major League Baseball has specifically prohibited teams from two full season A teams at the same level. No team has two MWL or Sally affiliations just as there are not two teams from the same franchise at the High A level (CAL, Carolina or Florida State). The Reds can't just "add" a third full A level team.
    I had to go back and see why some of the ML clubs were showing three Single A clubs, and now I see there are a few "Short Season" Single leagues (New York Penn League and the Northwest League) and the clubs with three Single A clubs have teams in those short season leagues. So perhaps the suggestion that we're going to walk away completely from Sarasota (maybe Tampa Bay would take that slot?) and join the Sally League.

Whether we might ultimately put together a Short Season Single A club is another discussion for another day.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

As far as Bowling Green, Zippy McGee is correct in everything he is saying. The only realistic way that Bowling Green could ever be a Reds affiliate is if a Carolina League franchise was relocated to Bowling Green. There is no chance that a South Atlantic League team could ever be a Reds affiliate as long as Dayton is in the Midwest League. Teams have only one Low-A affiliate and the Midwest League and South Atlantic League are both Low-A leagues. If the Columbus franchise in the South Atlantic League moves to Bowling Green, it could never be a Reds affiliate as long as Dayton is in the Midwest League.

Meanwhile, it is very difficult for any minor league club to change classifications (jump from Single-A to Double-A, for instance). Let's take a look at the Dayton-to-the-Eastern League example. Mandalay would have to purchase an existing Eastern League franchise and move it to Dayton. The Eastern League would have to approve the idea of stretching the outer beltline of the league further west, which would be highly questionable. Mandalay would still own the Midwest League franchise that had been located in Dayton, so they would have to find a new city to move that franchise. There are a lot of moving parts that would make this difficult, and most importantly, Mandalay would have to be convinced that there would be a financial benefit to doing all of this. Theoretically, depending on the lease in Erie, Mandalay could move their own Erie club to Dayton, which would put Dayton in the Eastern League. But again, then they would have to find a new Midwest League city with a ballpark to move the lame duck Midwest League franchise that had been in Dayton. And why would Mandalay do this? Are they going to draw anymore fans in Dayton if it is Double-A than they are already drawing?

I've lived in Bowling Green, KY, for nearly 10 years now. I'm originally from the Dayton, OH area. As much as I'd love to see a Reds affiliate here, it probably won't happen.

It doesn't take a genious to know that the Dayton Dragons will never stop the cash cow they have going. The Dragons top the minors in attendance for their level, and sometimes surpas some AA, and AAA teams. Having been to a handful of games in Dayton, unless you want to sit on the grass, getting a ticket is like getting one to a Packers, or OSU football game...someone has to die.

I realize I started this thread, way back when, posing the Reds affiliate question. I was just going by what I had heard throughout the town and on local radio. So I posed the question, to get some conversation going, and it worked! There's hardly a day that goes by that I don't read ballparkwatch, where they post about all 1 million or so minor league teams.

Since I refuse to let this thread die, here's a list of teams in Low A and their affiliations. Note what they say about Dayton.

City Affiliate Year
    Asheville Rockies Signed through 2008
    Augusta Giants Signed through 2008
    Beloit Twins Signed through 2008
    Burlington Royals Signed through 2010
    Cedar Rapids Angels Signed through 2010
    Charleston Yankees Signed through 2008
    Clinton Rangers Signed through 2008
    Columbus Rays Signed through 2008
    Dayton Reds Signed in perpetuity
    Delmarva Orioles Signed through 2010
    Fort Wayne Padres Signed through 2008