Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Billy Donovan Changes His Mind?

Re: Billy Donovan Changes His Mind?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Seems to me that it may have been more about the money than the challenge, but who knows.
    The talk around Gator Country is his wife isn't a fan of Orlando
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

A big part of me is hoping UF tells him "sorry we're moving on"
    Last edited by KronoRed; 06-04-2007 at 04:04 PM.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    This makes me lose a lot respect for Donovan. What could he have possibly learned AFTER signing the contract that he couldn't have known before.
    He found out that UF has more money to spend on basketball players than the Orlando Magic has.

got alil captain in u?

i think some of us saw this coming college coaches tend to do this from time to time get hired for another job and have second thoughts and go back to their old job

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Coaches from around the country are going to wear this out when they find out a kid they are recruiting is also considering playing for Billy Donovan at UF.

No doubt about it. But Billy has a couple of trump cards he can play: back to back national championships. Plus, spurning Orlando may make him even more attractive to recruits than he was before. A kid says that Coach X told him he shouldn't sign with Florida because Donovan decided to go to the NBA and then changed his mind. Donovan can tell that kid that that is great reason for him to come to Florida. He spurned the NBA already so there aren't going to be any rumors about him going to the NBA. Donovan is going to be at Florida as long as that kid is.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    He signed a contract. At that point, the "change of heart" business should be done with.
    Totally agree. When you sign a contract, it is binding. It is your word. There are no "take backs." Well, Donovan apparently felt that contract wasn't binding. That's B.S., IMO. I also agree that it would be refreshing for UF to tell him, "sorry, we've moved on." Won't happen, but that's what should happen. Orlando and UF should have new coaches next year, and neither of them should have Billy Donovan.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Contracts don't seem to be all that binding in the world of college sports. Coaches jump contracts all the time.

Which I think stinks.

Pay attention to the open sky

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Contracts don't seem to be all that binding in the world of college sports. Coaches jump contracts all the time.

Which I think stinks.

Agreed. And this is two contract jumps in a week for Mr. D.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Why would anyone lose respect? Because you think about these things in advance, not after they are done. Now he has scared potential recruits, offended a basketball franchise, and made himself look a fool. You take time to think on these things, you don't back out after you sign on the dotted line. He should have to go the route of all the other coaches mentioned and go to a lesser school and work his way back. UNLV, Memphis, Louisville etc.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Apparantly Orlando was pushing him hard to sign which is understandable, obviously he should have requested more time and didn't, but I'm really trying to figure out who loses in the whole thing.

Orlando is now 2 days behind wherever they were in the coaching search.
    Florida gets their coach back, knowing he has looked at the best possible fit in the NBA and passed, they know he's not likely to go anywhere again.

The only people who really lose are the people who signed up for season tickets expecting Billy and instead get another NBA coach.(apparantly about 200 people.)

My question is, would you rather Donovan decided to coach Orlando, knowing in his heart of hearts that it wasn't where he wanted to be. Do you think Orlando wanted that?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Of course a lot of people on this board "lost" respect for Donovan. Most of these people are probably UK fans are probably never respected him in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    My question is, would you rather Donovan decided to coach Orlando, knowing in his heart of hearts that it wasn't where he wanted to be. Do you think Orlando wanted that?
    No, I don't think Orlando wanted that, that's why they are letting him out of the contract.

The NCAA should step in and prevent him from coaching at UF next year, IMO. If you agree to leave your previous position, you shouldn't be allowed back for 1 year after agreeing to another contract. Hold people to their word. That way, if a coach signs another deal, he either accepts it and keeps the position, or has to go somewhere else for 1 year. His previous school would be put in a position to either hire a long term coach and say "screw you" to the coach that changed his mind, or settle for a 1 year lame duck coach to get the previous guy back.

This makes me just as mad as the NFL guy that signs an 8 year deal for $60M and wants to re-negotiate after the first year. Really ticks me off (in case you haven't noticed).
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The talk around Gator Country is his wife isn't a fan of Orlando
    Having lived in Gainesville for five years, this comment has me scratching my head a little bit. What in the world does Hogtown have that you cannot get in Orlando? Check cashing joints...Rent-to-Own furniture stores...am I missing something?

Granted the crime rate in Orlando has skyrocketed in recent years, it is not like Ms. Donovan was going to be living under the I-4 overapass or anything. If anything, she probably would have been living within shouting distance to Tiger Woods, et al.

She is starting to sound like Joanne Pitino reincarnated.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    No, I don't think Orlando wanted that, that's why they are letting him out of the contract.

The NCAA should step in and prevent him from coaching at UF next year, IMO. If you agree to leave your previous position, you shouldn't be allowed back for 1 year after agreeing to another contract. Hold people to their word. That way, if a coach signs another deal, he either accepts it and keeps the position, or has to go somewhere else for 1 year. His previous school would be put in a position to either hire a long term coach and say "screw you" to the coach that changed his mind, or settle for a 1 year lame duck coach to get the previous guy back.

This makes me just as mad as the NFL guy that signs an 8 year deal for $60M and wants to re-negotiate after the first year. Really ticks me off (in case you haven't noticed).

I think you're talking about a different set of circumstances and that's why i understand the anger.
    The player in your scenario is generally trying to get more money out of the original team.
    Donovan wasn't using this as a negotiating ploy, he simply changed his mind. Again he obviously should have taken more time, but didn't and now wants to go where he and Orlando would be most happy.
    It's not like Orlando invested a whole lot into him. He was there for two days.

Why should Florida be upset with him?
    Why should Orlando be upset with him?

Why are you upset with him?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post

The NCAA doesn't like lawsuits. If the NCAA tried that, Donovan would sue them so fast their head would spin.

I'm afraid the door of holding college coaches to ethical standards has rusted and fallen off the barn. Money talks and everyone skips on their contracts.

Pay attention to the open sky

Turn Off Ads?