Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Billy Donovan Changes His Mind?

Re: Billy Donovan Changes His Mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think you're talking about a different set of circumstances and that's why i understand the anger.
    The player in your scenario is generally trying to get more money out of the original team.
    Donovan wasn't using this as a negotiating ploy, he simply changed his mind. Again he obviously should have taken more time, but didn't and now wants to go where he and Orlando would be most happy.
    It's not like Orlando invested a whole lot into him. He was there for two days.

Why should Florida be upset with him?
    Why should Orlando be upset with him?

Why are you upset with him?

I agree the NFL player comp wasn't a very good one, and you're right about the differences.

As far as the questions go, I've already stated my reason. That person (Donovan) gave everybody his binding word that he wanted to move on. If he was unsure, he should have opened that hole in his head and stated such. All parties involved now have to figure out what they're going to do now. And what if Billy decides to change his mind again? He may say he won't, or that he's sure he wants to return to UF, but who believes him? I don't. That's the problem with this. It makes your word meaning absolutely nothing to anyone. Like I said, if you're unsure, speak up, because after you sign a contract isn't the time to open your mouth.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Of course a lot of people on this board "lost" respect for Donovan. Most of these people are probably UK fans are probably never respected him in the first place.
    Uh, no.

Donovan was respected by most Kentucky fans even after he turned them down. The man was looking out for his family and didn't want to relocate them from Gainesville to Lexington. He was Rick Pitino's right hand man when he was here in Lexington and that alone was enough to earn him royalty among Kentucky fans.

Not sure how many Florida fans can recollect this off hand, but during the Pitino days and even during the start of the Tubby Smith era, during the SEC tournament and during visits to Rupp Arena, Billy would always be received with a warm welcome by the Kentucky fans. The same goes for Travis Ford.

Kentucky fans have always held Billy Donovan in high regard. Maybe not some of his players(Joakim Noah and Matt Walsh), but I would guarantee that if Billy Donovan or Rick Pitino wanted to come to Kentucky today, both would be welcomed with open arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Also, just thought it was funny that a lot of the people posting on this thread are Ohio St(Red Leader and MWM) and even a Florida fan calling for him to go(Krono). Only two Kentucky fans, Blimpie and myself are posting. I'm sure WilyMo will be around later on tonight, too.

Sad thing is, if Billy does return to Florida, in a perfect world, this would kill him in recruiting. However, if he does return, he will have Dick Vitale and Andy Katz all over the airwaves praising him for returning to the college game and not taking the big money. In a way, the guy will get more press from breaking his word than staying at Florida in the first place.

If anybody has been screwed over, it would be Anthony Grant. Not only does he not get a pay raise and a bigger opportunity, but his whole team thought he was leaving for Florida and you have to figure this will hurt him recruiting at VCU.

I found this quote and thought it was funny.

There were, of course, some negatives to college coaching: The 12-month-a-year recruiting grind, the fear that Florida would level off and the struggle to keep the Gators as a national power. Donovan agonized with the decision. But once he made it Thursday, he never looked back.

"I know there are no guarantees," Donovan said. "But ultimately in my heart, I wanted to take on the challenge. So often, coaches and athletic directors leave sideways and unhappy. I left happy. And that's a good thing."
    Last edited by WVRed; 06-04-2007 at 08:15 PM.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Of course a lot of people on this board "lost" respect for Donovan. Most of these people are probably UK fans are probably never respected him in the first place.
    Yep. A lot of the Big Blue Crew around here thought they were getting ready to be top dog again in the SEC and maybe even rip a recruit or two along the way thanks to Donovan leaving. Sounds like sour grapes coming from UK fans ripping Donovan's second thoughts.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    He found out that UF has more money to spend on basketball players than the Orlando Magic has.
    Wait a second, you're telling me major Div I basketball programs might pay for their players?

I have a feeling you're not talking about a scholarship either....

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint View Post
    Yep. A lot of the Big Blue Crew around here thought they were getting ready to be top dog again in the SEC and maybe even rip a recruit or two along the way thanks to Donovan leaving. Sounds like sour grapes coming from UK fans ripping Donovan's second thoughts.
    UK is getting ready to be top dog again in the SEC, with or without Donovan at Florida. He had a good run, 2 national championships. Very seldom is a coach lucky enough to have his entire starting 5 back after a national championship. UK went to the finals 3 years in a rows, 96,97,98, with 2 rings to show for it, a good run as well.

Donovan deserves to get ripped, for not being a man of his word. You sign a contract, be a man and honor it.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    UK is getting ready to be top dog again in the SEC, with or without Donovan at Florida. He had a good run, 2 national championships. Very seldom is a coach lucky enough to have his entire starting 5 back after a national championship. UK went to the finals 3 years in a rows, 96,97,98, with 2 rings to show for it, a good run as well.

Donovan deserves to get ripped, for not being a man of his word. You sign a contract, be a man and honor it.
    I'm not 100% sure about the last part.

I believe in honoring contracts, but I think we need the full details on what happened to make Billy Donovan consider returning to Florida.

Dana Altman took the Arkansas job and resigned after a couple of days. Why? He found recruiting violations and a player had failed a drug test.

Obviously this is a different story with the NBA, but maybe he met Dwight Howard and saw something that made him realize that this wasnt going to work.

Think about it this way, you get a higher paying job through another company and you have been with the same firm for 11 years. You have been a faithful and reliable employee and you turn in your two week notice. Your boss tells you that if things don't work out, you can come back. This is usually what happens, except it doesn't happen over a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Wait a second, you're telling me major Div I basketball programs might pay for their players?

I have a feeling you're not talking about a scholarship either....
    No I wasn't. But I was also just being funny, I have no idea if Donovan runs a clean program or not, I have no reason to think he's dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Also, just thought it was funny that a lot of the people posting on this thread are Ohio St(Red Leader and MWM) and even a Florida fan calling for him to go(Krono). Only two Kentucky fans, Blimpie and myself are posting. I'm sure WilyMo will be around later on tonight, too.

*Gawd* I wish the rep system was still in place for this one post.

I am a Michigan fan in football. UNC/UM/Kent fan in basketball. But the last thing someone would / should ever call me, is an Ohio St. fan.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    *Gawd* I wish the rep system was still in place for this one post.

I am a Michigan fan in football. UNC/UM/Kent fan in basketball. But the last thing someone would / should ever call me, is an Ohio St. fan.

To be completely honest though, I know jack about basketball. I don't ever watch the NBA and really only watch UNC/Duke games during the regular season until the conference championships. Just not a big basketball fan.

So, I'm not really speaking as a "fan" of anyone when I make those statements because I have really no investment in basketball, emotionally. I'm just saying I hate people in general that go back on their word. Especially when that decision involves millions and millions of dollars and thousands of people. I just don't think that's right, and it shouldn't be allowed, or brushed off when someone does it.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Only two Kentucky fans, Blimpie and myself are posting. I'm sure WilyMo will be around later on tonight, too.
    I wouldn't count on WilyMo. He's actually a closet Indiana fan. He pretends to be a Kentucky fan because someone told him it's the cool thing to be.

:

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I wouldn't count on WilyMo. He's actually a closet Indiana fan. He pretends to be a Kentucky fan because someone told him it's the cool thing to be.

:
    How did I miss this?!?!

I've thought quite a bit about this Donovan situation... I agree with the poster who said that the person most hurt by this decision is the head coach at VCU. Seems he really got screwed over and was a totally innocent party in all of this.

I have lost some respect for Billy D. He shouldn't have accepted the job if he wasn't absolutely positive it was what he wanted.

I do think this will hurt Florida's recruiting in the future.

Personally, if I was a top recruit trying to decide on a college, this saga wouldn't worry me in regards to whether or not Billy D. would leave abruptly as much as how I feel these actions reflect negatively on his character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    How did I miss this?!?!

I've thought quite a bit about this Donovan situation... I agree with the poster who said that the person most hurt by this decision is the head coach at VCU. Seems he really got screwed over and was a totally innocent party in all of this.

I have lost some respect for Billy D. He shouldn't have accepted the job if he wasn't absolutely positive it was what he wanted.

I do think this will hurt Florida's recruiting in the future.

Personally, if I was a top recruit trying to decide on a college, this saga wouldn't worry me in regards to whether or not Billy D. would leave abruptly as much as how I feel these actions reflect negatively on his character.
    I think that coaches will use it to try and sway a recruit from choosing Florida, but in effect, Billy Donovan has two things working for him.

1.He has a stipulation that he cannot coach in the NBA for the next five years, and I would venture to say that no NBA team will touch him after he bailed on Orlando.(Miami might because he and Riley are close, but I look for that opening to be within the next five years). Billy also was pushing for the stipulation so it would show recruits that he was committed to Florida.

2.ESPN has already began working the spin machine. The only ones from ESPN who has criticized Donovan has been Jay Bilas(who I have really started to like, even if he is a Dukie) and Jay Mariotti. All it is going to take is Dick Vitale and Andy Katz singing Donovan's praises for passing up the NBA money to focus on molding these men and staying true to the college game and Florida is back in its rightful place as Duke South.

If I were Jeremy Foley and I really wanted to play hardball with this, I would bail Donovan out of his contract with the Magic and whatever financial hit Donovan took, it would be paid by the University of Florida. Then I would turn around and offer Donovan a contract similar to the one before this season(after the first championship, considerably less than the one UK was offering). If he balks at this, let him go and go with Anthony Grant.

He may have won two championships, but his reputation is soiled to the point he isn't worth Coach K money.

Yep, WV, I have a lot of respect for Jay Bilas. He's one of the smartest commentators around. Sort of the anti-Doug Gottlieb.

Again though, if I were an opposing coach going after a recruit, I wouldn't focus on him leaving (even after the five year non-compete is finished), I'd be hammering home what this says about the man's character.

Is UF going to give Billy D. the same money/contract as before?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?