Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MLB Shuffles 2007 World Series Schedule To Help Avoid Football & Other Weekend Sports

MLB Shuffles 2007 World Series Schedule To Help Avoid Football & Other Weekend Sports

I just ran across this article from last month. I don't think it has been discussed, but someone let me know if it has...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...-weekend_N.htm

Midweek Series start could leave Fox, baseball in the cold

By Michael Hiestand, USA TODAY

Major League Baseball and Fox will make it official Monday: the World Series on Fox this fall will start on a Wednesday — not the usual Saturday.

For the first time, a potential Series game will be scheduled for November.

And if you thought the Detroit Tigers' week-long layoff before last year's Series seemed long, get this: The potential wait for the National League champion this fall could be as long as a record nine days.

The Series is also ready to go one-on-one with Monday Night Football.

The idea is to make the Series, which produced its lowest-ever ratings the past two years, more media-genic. It's like a TV mini-series, where it's critical to hook viewers from the get-go. With its first two games on Wednesday and Thursday, rather than Saturday and Sunday, it will debut in the sports world's spotlight — not competing for attention with football (and NASCAR and golf) on the weekend. Says Fox Sports president Ed Goren on starting mid-week: "It's very simple. You're immediately helping yourself."

In the new schedule, the Series will skip Friday night, TV's second least-watched night after Saturday. Bob DuPuy, MLB president, says MLB considered starting the Series on Tuesday, rather than Wednesday. But a Tuesday Series start would have meant a Friday game — and avoiding Friday was a key priority.

The Series rejiggering revolves around Saturday night not being all right for the Series' opening night. It will start Wednesday, Oct. 24, four days after what would have been its usual Saturday debut. Not only is Saturday TV's least-watched night — its overall TV viewership is 15% lower than Wednesday night — but it's also become increasingly competitive. ABC last year began routinely moving marquee college football to Saturday primetime, when ESPN and ESPN2 also carry games, and got seven of last season's eight most-watched college football games.

Avoiding Saturday night football is also a reason why baseball might eventually play a late-afternoon Saturday game — all Series games are in East Coast primetime now — and give more kids a chance to see the Series.

Sunday nights, when the Series' second game used to air on TV's most-watched and most-competitive night, aren't what they used to be. Now, the NFL's lead primetime TV package — with, on paper, the best game schedule — is on NBC Sunday. Now the Series will jump into the Sunday night TV mosh pit with a potentially pivotal fourth game. Monday Night Football, which MLB used to skirt when it was on ABC, isn't as daunting now that it's on ESPN and now will face the Series' fifth game, if necessary, this fall.

The Series, if necessary, would play its biggest games — Game 6 on Wednesday and Game 7 on Thursday — apart from the weekend sports competition it used to face when those games were played on Saturday and Sunday.

Game 7 is scheduled for Nov. 1. (Only once have Series games gone into the same month as Thanksgiving when 9/11 forced postponements in 2001.) While prolonging the postseason means more off days to reduce complications from rainouts, it also increases the chance MLB will be ridiculed for playing in a November snowstorm. Maybe Commissioner Bud Selig, à la Bowie Kuhn, will be in the stands without a topcoat.
    By making this change, MLB is assuring that a six- or seven-game series will end without direct competition from college football or the NFL (or, as the author points out, from NASCAR or golf), and they will have to butt heads with them only one weekend, instead of potentially two weekends. I think that may be a smart move.

Another thought: Is MLB setting the stage for the Division Series to be expanded to best-of-seven sooner than later?

Avoiding Saturday night football is also a reason why baseball might eventually play a late-afternoon Saturday game — all Series games are in East Coast primetime now — and give more kids a chance to see the Series.
    I am all for day World Series games! I'm assuming that the reasoning here is that they could wedge the Series game in-between the early college football games and the primetime game?

And if you thought the Detroit Tigers' week-long layoff before last year's Series seemed long, get this: The potential wait for the National League champion this fall could be as long as a record nine days.
    Wow, talk about destroying momentum! This part ain't good.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2007 World Series Will Begin On A Wednesday

Something I've never liked about the NHL and NBA is how they drag out their playoff series, hate to see MLB heading in the same direction
    Go Gators!

Re: MLB Shuffles 2007 World Series Schedule To Help Avoid Football & Other Weekend Sp

I also don't like how this will drag out the schedule. The NLCS and ALCS usually end on Wednesday or Thursday and that is if they go the whole 7 games. This will mean at least a week off between the league championship series and the World Series.

Re: MLB Shuffles 2007 World Series Schedule To Help Avoid Football & Other Weekend Sp

Are the MLB and Fox bigshots getting to a big chunk of the 'low ratings' problem? It seems to me that a majority of baseball fans CAN NOT stand Fox baseball analyst Tim McCarver. Perhaps MLB/Fox should plan on replacing him in the broadcast booth??? Half of the problem would be solved!!
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 06-04-2007 at 11:49 AM.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Baseball should not be played in November.

That is all I have to say about that.

Rejiggering the days-of-the-week is fine but they can't drag this out. Go back to the 152 game schedule.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Rejiggering the days-of-the-week is fine but they can't drag this out. Go back to the 152 game schedule.
    Double headers.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Actually it was a 154 game schedule until 1961. A 154 game schedule would make a lot of sense, given the expanded post-season, but that ain't happening, as it would probably mean a loss in revenue to the owners, and the players sure are not going to agree to reduce salaries.
    I hate the idea of the "October Classic" being played in November, and I wish World Series games could still be played in the daytime.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

154 games?? How would we then do the Golf Score? 8.555555555555555555555555555555 games is a hole?

Blasphemy!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Double headers.
    I second that.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I second that.
    Day/Night, charge a bit more for both games.

It could work.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Actually it was a 154 game schedule until 1961. A 154 game schedule would make a lot of sense, given the expanded post-season, but that ain't happening, as it would probably mean a loss in revenue to the owners, and the players sure are not going to agree to reduce salaries.
    I hate the idea of the "October Classic" being played in November, and I wish World Series games could still be played in the daytime.
    Oops, my bad. Anyhow, I'd do 154 game schedule and Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day doubleheaders.

I'm sure the owners will argue that revenue would be lost. But would it? They should take a lesson from the oil companies -- create scarcity and jack up the price.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

154 GAMES? Than the number of Yankees/Red Sox games would have to be reduced. Can't have that happening.

Turn Off Ads?