160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

71 44.38%
  • No

89 55.63%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

I voted he would be a bust. Its just a gut feeling. And dont say I dont have enough faith, cuz I still have faith in Gary Majewski for Gods sake and believe Eddie G is the savior, not Homer Bailey
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

He seems like another Adam Dunn without the power. I voted for bust.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    He seems like another Adam Dunn without the power. I voted for bust.
    Yeah, except he plays gold glove defense in centerfield and is one of the fastest guys on every field he steps onto.

But yeah, they both strike out a lot.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I have a bad feeling about this guy.
    Adam Dunn like strikeout numbers, potentially GG caliber D. Freakishly low OPS.

Trade him when you can for something with a stronger pulse.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yeah, except he plays gold glove defense in centerfield and is one of the fastest guys on every field he steps onto.

But yeah, they both strike out a lot.
    Hopefully the guy who said Stubbs is a "GG caliber defender" isn't the same guy who thought that about Alex Gonzalez.

Hopefully the guy who said Stubbs is a "GG caliber defender" isn't the same guy who thought that about Alex Gonzalez.
    Have you had the chance to see Stubbs play CF? He glides out there. It never looks like he is running hard, but he gets to EVERYTHING.

I voted No because I think he;ll make the Major league club and play several years plaing a strong CF and batting 7th (leadoff if Narron's still there).

With athe failure rate of most draft choices, I don't know if you can call anyone who makes the Show and sticks around several rears as a starter a "bust." but when you look at how high he went in the first round and who they left on the board to choose him and I don't know that you can call him "Value for Pick" or a rousing success either.

I think what I project probably is (and was) his ceiling. I think you shoot for better early in the first round. I was never a fan of the pick.

Alex Gonzalez was a GG caliber SS. He's gotten old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Rey Olmedo was once the next coming of Davey Concepcion, Machado was said to have GG defense.

Drew's 2007 YTD stats

.718 OPS for the year.

7 for his last 40 (.175 BA) with only 1 XBH - a double. 12 Ks, 5 BBs.

Not inspiring the kind of confidence that a struggling, small-market team would like to see from a top 10 draft pick 12 months out of college.

I hope about 46% of RedsZone like crow. He's reached base in 19 straight games (and in most of those games, he reached base multiple times). He's hot right now, and soon, instead of RedsZoners needlessly doubting him, RedsZoners will be needlessly criticizing him.

Okay, maybe I'm a little bit of an optimist, but I really like what Stubbs could bring to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Okay, maybe I'm a little bit of an optimist, but I really like what Stubbs could bring to the table.
    I like what this guy brings to the table. Right now. At the MLB level:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...playerId=28705

For those who don't care to click on the link, that's Tim Lincecum; he of the 4.37 ERA, 10.00 K/9 rate and .645 OPSA. As a rookie. In the year after he was drafted.

Now, Drew Stubbs isn't any better or worse because the Reds stupidly decided to select him rather than Lincecum, but that mistake may haunt the Reds for years. And Stubbs has, apparently, been injured. Turf toe is a serious issue. In most cases, it's nearly incapacitating for a guy who relies on a speed game. That being said, I'd think that a guy who's demonstrably affected by turf toe wouldn't be able to attempt 32 Stolen Bases thusfar in 2007 or appear to "glide" in Center Field.

But hey, Stubbs is now up to a .757 OPS as a 22-year old in low-A ball after a hot streak after posting a .768 OPS in Rookie ball in a major hitters league as a 21 year old. At that pace, we may see Stubbs ready for a fourth outfielder slot right around 2011.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Steel, I don't think one person will disagree with you regarding Lincecum.

I'm probably Stubbs' biggest supporter on the board, and I badly wanted Lincecum. He was a slam dunk pick in my mind.

Stubbs has a long way to go, but I like his game and I think he will contribute even if he's not, nor will he ever be Tim Lincecum.

I really hope he will be more than a fourth outfielder. We need a good outfield prospect if we are going to seriously consider trading Adam Dunn. Freel and Hopper are not legitimate starting outfielders. Freel is a supersub, and Hopper is a fourth outfielder. I have reconsidered my previous opinion; I think if he is healthy he will help the Reds in the future. I have already voted, but I am sure quite a few of us might change our vote if we could. We might start up a new poll?
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 07-21-2007 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I really hope he will be more than a fourth outfielder. We need a good outfield prospect if we are going to seriously consider trading Adam Dunn. Freel and Hopper are not legitimate starting outfielders. Freel is a supersub, and Hopper is a fourth outfielder. I have reconsidered my previous opinion; I think if he is healthy he will help the Reds in the future. I have already voted, but I am sure quite a few of us might change our vote if we could. We might start up a new poll?
    Jay Bruce much?

Turn Off Ads?