Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Gary Sheffield Speaks

Gary Sheffield Speaks

Sheffield says Latin players easier to control than blacks

The percentage of African-Americans playing Major League Baseball is at an all-time low and Gary Sheffield says he has a theory why that's the case.

In an interview with GQ magazine that's currently on newsstands, the typically outspoken Tigers designated hitter said Latin players have replaced African-Americans as baseball's most prevalent minority because they are easier to control.

"I called it years ago. What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. … [It's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine.

"Where I'm from, you can't control us. You might get a guy to do it that way for a while because he wants to benefit, but in the end, he is going to go back to being who he is. And that's a person that you're going to talk to with respect, you're going to talk to like a man.

"These are the things my race demands. So, if you're equally good as this Latin player, guess who's going to get sent home? I know a lot of players that are home now can outplay a lot of these guys."

According to a 2005 report by the University of Central Florida Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport, only 8.5 percent of major leaguers were African-American -- the lowest percentage since the report was initiated in the mid-1980s. By contrast, whites comprised 59.5 percent of the majors' player pool, Latinos 28.7 percent and Asians 2.5.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2891875
    Isn't there something about a fool opening his mouth and removing all doubt? I think this applies.
    Last edited by paintmered; 06-04-2007 at 02:36 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gary Sheffield Speaks

Get this man an AM radio talk show
    Go Gators!

haha wow he sounds like a complete idiot! "You can't control us! We are outta control!" This not only sounds self-bashing of his own race, but bashing of the Latin community. One is completely out of control and the other just bows down and listens to everyone. Unbelievable comments.

Also, what's with the constant talking about this - they make up 80% of NBA/NFL?! Seriously, I will never understand this fascination...

11% of population and 8% of MLB
    vs.
    11% of population and 90% of NBA

Which one seems more ridiculous?!
    Last edited by redsrule2500; 06-04-2007 at 02:42 PM.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Looks like the Peanut Gallery stuff will soon be flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Looks like the Peanut Gallery stuff will soon be flowing.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Psst.

Hey Gary.

Take a look at this data from the 2000 Census.

1990 - 2000 Population growth by demographic

Whites: +11,774,556 for 5.9% growth.
    Blacks: +4,672,130 for 15.6% growth.
    Hispanics: +12,951,759 for 57.9% growth.
    Asians: +3,334,360 for 48.3% growth.

Census estimates as of 7/1/2006 say that there are now about 4 million more hispanics in the US than there are blacks (44 mil vs. 40 mil).

Blacks haven't been replaced by Latino / Hispanic players because they're easier to control.

There are simply more of them in the population.

Assuming that baseball talent is evenly distributed among the races, it stands to reason that more hispanics in the general population would translate into more Hispanics on ML rosters.

I bought the issue today, but I read the Jessica Alba article first. I haven't got around to the Sheffield article as yet.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Oddly Gary will never be treated with respect because he doesn't treat anyone else with respect...he is one of the most embarrassing faces that are identified as Christians...along with Benny Hinn, Pat Robertson and I'll leave the third one up to your imagination.

Yeah, I suppose that this is a religious post so, Mr. Moderator, Sir...I am sorry if it crosses the line.

Marty
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Oddly Gary will never be treated with respect because he doesn't treat anyone else with respect...he is one of the most embarrassing faces that are identified as Christians...along with Benny Hinn, Pat Robertson and I'll leave the third one up to your imagination.

Yeah, I suppose that this is a religious post so, Mr. Moderator, Sir...I am sorry if it crosses the line.

Marty

Just made the decision easier for me.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?