Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oden "blows Durant out of the water" at pre-draft workouts.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Oden "blows Durant out of the water" at pre-draft workouts.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbla...of_nature.html

Greg Oden is a freak of nature
    Posted by Jason Quick June 04, 2007 11:24AM

The Oregonian has secured the official weights, measurements and testing results from the Orlando predraft camp, and wait until you get a load of the freak of nature called Greg Oden.
    For starters, his numbers blow Kevin Durant out of the water.

There are several startling revelations in the numbers, and the one that immediately pops out is the bench press. Players were rated on how many times they could bench press 185 pounds. Oden didn't attempt the bench press in order to prevent an injury to his right wrist, which has recently recovered from injury.
    But get this: Only one player was unable to bench press 185 even once - Kevin Durant.
    There is more.

Oden is faster than Durant in the 3/4-court sprint, quicker in the lane-agility drill, and has better numbers in the running and standing vertical leaps. And, Oden has a mind-boggling 7.8 body-fat percentage ... most big men are north of the 12 percent range. For instance, other top-rated big men such as Washington's Spencer Hawes (13.0), Duke's Josh McRoberts (13.7) and Pitt's Aaron Gray (10.8) don't compare.
    Let's get to the specifics.
    Oden is 6-foot-11 without shoes, 7-feet with shoes.
    He weighs 257 pounds.
    His wingspan is 7 feet, 4.25 inches (fourth best in the draft). His standing reach is 9 feet, 4 inches (the highest of anyone in the draft). His standing vertical is 32 inches, his running vertical 34 inches.
    The lane agility drill, where a player runs through cones alternating between running backward, sideways and forward, is 11.67 seconds. And his 3/4 court sprint was 3.27 seconds.

The thing that jumps out is Oden's speed and agility.
    We all know Oregon's Aaron Brooks is fast. Brooks finished the 3/4 court sprint in 3.2 seconds. Oden was 3.27 seconds. Durant, meanwhile, finished in 3.45.
    Oden's 11.67 in the agility drill speaks volumes to the footwork so many scouts rave about. Durant did the same drill in 12.33.
    Durant's specifics are as follows:
    Height: 6-foot-9 without shoes, 6-foot-10.25 with shoes. Weight: 215.
    Wing span: 7-foot-4.75 (second longest in the draft - Maryland's Ekene Ibekwe is 7-6). Standing reach: 9-2.
    Body fat: 6.6. Standing vertical jump: 26.0 inches; running vertical jump, 33.5 inches. Lane agility: 12.33 seconds and 3/4 court sprint, 3.45 seconds.
    Portland general manager Kevin Pritchard declined to comment on the numbers, in part because he had just received them himself.
    But really, there is no need for comment. The numbers speak volumes.

Re: Oden "blows Durant out of the water" at pre-draft workouts.

Most of the talk I hear out here assumes that the Blazers will take Oden. The only caveat to that is rumblings over the last time they had the #1 pick and chose Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan. TMBS, I don't think most people seriously compare Oden to Bowie or Durant to Jordan.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Are they drafting race horses, or basketball players?

Yes, Oden is more physically mature than string-bean Kevin Durant. Stronger, faster, etc. Can he shoot the 3?

Durant is arguably as good a basketball player as Oden. And Durant hasn't yet reached his peak physically.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    And Durant hasn't yet reached his peak physically.
    Neither has Oden.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Neither has Oden.
    His musculature is just about peak. He can't be any more cut. I really don't think he has anywhere else to go physically.

Durant, though, will be developing like crazy over the next 3-4 years.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 06-04-2007 at 04:48 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Neither has Oden.
    Honestly, that is a negative in Oden's case.

He is already just about the perfect dimensions for an NBA center. The worry with guys who are physically mature at such a young age is whether they can maintain that physique over time. If Oden continues to pack on muscle mass, he might end up losing some of the speed, agility, and overall athleticism that makes him so special.

That said, he's a no brainer at #1. The NBA draft produces quality swingmen every year, and there are usually one or two who slip into the latter half of the first round. Quality centers only come along once every three-to-five years, and are always off the board in the first couple of picks. The Blazers should not let the ghost of Sam Bowie goad them into making another huge mistake and passing on the best center prospect since Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    The Blazers should not let the ghost of Sam Bowie goad them into making another huge mistake and passing on the best center prospect since Shaq.
    I don't think they will. All the newspaper articles and sports talk radio dudes are clamoring for Oden and I suspect the Blazers are as well. The Bowie mistake duly noted, it's also important IMO to recognize that the Blazers established their brand with a dominant center named Bill Walton and for a team whose brand is quickly dying in this town, a dominant center is the quickest way IMO to re-establish that brand and get some fannies back in the seats of the rose garden.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Are they drafting race horses, or basketball players?.
    I dunno, but now that you mention it--I think they listed every stat except the dimensions of his teeth.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    I dunno, but now that you mention it--I think they listed every stat except the dimensions of his teeth.
    Had they given heights measured in hands, then I would have been convinced without a shadow of a doubt we were talking horses...

I don't know how you can really compare the best 5 in the country to the best 3 in the country.

Apples and Oranges if you ask me.

If Portland needs a 5, they take Oden.

If Portland needs a swingman 3, they take Durant.

I'll still take Durant.

I guarentee Oden is exhausted after running a 3.27

We all saw in college who has better range, who is faster, who is more athletic. The only thing Oden had better is size and strength(and a better team around him).

got alil captain in u?

durant needs to bulk up his skinny frame is not gonan bode well in the NBA

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    I see a lot of similarity in his frame to Rashard Lewis, who coincidentally he could be playing with next year if he doesn't opt out of his contract.

Both are 6' 10" skinny perimeter players.
    Last edited by HumnHilghtFreel; 06-04-2007 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    He's 19. He'll bulk up.

All dyslexics must untie!

Last year at this time the locals were running a "Draft the 'Stache" campaign to induce the Blazer's FO to draft Adam Morrison...fortunately, Pritchard & Co got creative and selected Roy/Adridge

The "draft Durant" sentiment has dried up and blown away in the past few weeks. It's all-Oden, all the time. This time around Pritchard won't toy with the masses, he'll pick the big guy and still "get creative" with a eye on scoring a second lottery pick
    Never overlook the obvious

Since when are centers expected to hit the 3?

It is hard to compare them, as they are completely different players at different positions. I think the big difference was that Oden played for a good team while Durants team really wasn't all that good at all.

I would never, ever in a million years draft Durant over Oden. It is too risky IMO... great young defensive centers with potential to have a great offensive game to develope as well are too hard to find

Turn Off Ads?