Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ex Red Wagner to have shoulder surgery

Ex Red Wagner to have shoulder surgery

May be the end of the road for former Red, Ryan Wagner. He's going to shoulder surgery for a rotator cuff injury.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=398&sid=1157947
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Ex Red Wagner to have shoulder surgery

Wonder if JimBo will file a grievance against the REDS?!?

I hope Ryan has a speedy recovery and bounces back.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Not a good trade for relievers all around.

Seeing his mechanics as a rookie I doubt any of us are surprised. Looking back now who in their right mind would have scouted this kid and said "spend a 1st round pick on him"? Makes you wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Seeing his mechanics as a rookie I doubt any of us are surprised. Looking back now who in their right mind would have scouted this kid and said "spend a 1st round pick on him"? Makes you wonder...
    i agree. i think Hansen was who i thought the Reds should have taken in the 1st that year.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Not a good trade for relievers all around.
    nm
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I know I learned from this that you should never take a reliever with your first pick. IMO, it's just plain dumb.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I know I learned from this that you should never take a reliever with your first pick. IMO, it's just plain dumb.
    I think that's not a bad general rule but Brandon Marrow looks pretty good for Seattle

Darryl Thompson and Brendan Harris are the only two players from that trade doing jack this year. Kearns and Lopez are having horrible years so far.

Pretty freaking sad all around.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Interestingly enough, Bill Bray was selected 14th overall in the 2004 Draft- one slot lower than where Wagner was nabbed in 2003. Current Washington Closer Chad Cordero (20th overall) was drafted 7 slots behind Wagner in 2003.

Just found that kind of weird.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I know I'm known as one who has always supported the trade, and I still do 100% at the very least addition by subtraction. So, I thought it only right that I say here what some of the positives are that have happended for Kearns and Lopez.

Lopez is now playing 2nd Base as much as SS this year because the Nationals couldn't let him continue to butcher the SS position for them. Where he would rank as the worst among 16 Starting SS's in the NL defensively when looking at all of the defensive statistics you can look at, he's performed remarkably well at 2B, where he has yet to commit an error, and his Range Factor and Zone Rating would place him in the middle of the pack among starting 2nd Basemen. Unfortunately, as a 2nd Baseman, his OPS is only .620. He's nowhere in Brandon Phillips company defensively or offensively as a 2nd Baseman, but he's done well defensively so far, and his offense should turn around.

Kearns, though 9th in OPS among starting Right Fielders in the NL, is 5th among RF's in Total Bases, an area he's always had trouble in because of his inability to stay healthy. So, it's nice to know that he can be counted on everyday and with his defense, that's important. He's been stellar defensively among starting Right Fielders in the NL where he's 1st in Fdg % (1 error), 2nd in Range Factor, and 6th in Zone Rating, 3rd in Assists, and 2nd in Putouts.
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 06-05-2007 at 02:19 PM.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    I know I'm known as one who has always supported the trade, and I still do 100% at the very least addition by subtraction. So, I thought it only right that I say here what some of the positives are that have happended for Kearns and Lopez.

Lopez is now playing 2nd Base as much as SS this year because the Nationals couldn't let him continue to butcher the SS position for them. Where he would rank as the worst among 16 Starting SS's in the NL defensively when looking at all of the defensive statistics you can look at, he's performed remarkably well at 2B, where he has yet to commit an error, and his Range Factor and Zone Rating would place him in the middle of the pack among starting 2nd Basemen. Unfortunately, as a 2nd Baseman, his OPS is only .620. He's nowhere in Brandon Phillips company defensively or offensively as a 2nd Baseman, but he's done well defensively so far, and his offense should turn around.

Kearns, though 9th in OPS among starting Right Fielders in the NL, is 5th among RF's in Total Bases, an area he's always had trouble in because of his inability to stay healthy. So, it's nice to know that he can be counted on everyday and with his defense, that's important. He's been stellar defensively among starting Right Fielders in the NL where he's 1st in Fdg % (1 error), 2nd in Range Factor, and 6th in Zone Rating, 3rd in Assists, and 2nd in Putouts.
    The really troubling thing I see when looking at Kearns stats this year is his complete inability to hit RH pitching (.230/.287/.345/.632). That really does not bode well for his future as a full time player. I like Austin and do appreciate his defense and relative value as a RF but if he can't hit RHP even semi-consistently he'll find himself as a platoon player sooner or later.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Shock....a Bowden regimed pitcher needs shoulder surgery.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Darryl Thompson and Brendan Harris are the only two players from that trade doing jack this year. Kearns and Lopez are having horrible years so far.

Pretty freaking sad all around.
    Who'd have ever guessed that, a year later, "The Trade" would be viewed as a garbage in-garbage out deal.

I'm still holding out a vague hope that Bill Bray will redeem things somehow.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Interestingly enough, Bill Bray was selected 14th overall in the 2004 Draft- one slot lower than where Wagner was nabbed in 2003. Current Washington Closer Chad Cordero (20th overall) was drafted 7 slots behind Wagner in 2003.
    And David Aardsma was picked two behind Cordero and he's been on the Wagner disappointment train for a while now.

For curiosities sake - Lets see - in the last four drafts here are the relievers who've gone in the 1st round

Ryan Wagner
    Chad Cordero
    David Aardsma
    Bill Bray
    Taylor Tankersley
    Huston Street
    Craig Hasen
    Joey Devine
    Brooks Brown
    Chris Perez

Might have missed one or two in there, but that's a pretty respectable list as far as getting guys to the majors.

Turn Off Ads?