Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Votto

Votto

Hey, I forgot to mention in my previos thread that Votto started and played the entire game in left yesterday. Is this normal, does he sometimes play outfield?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Hey, I forgot to mention in my previos thread that Votto started and played the entire game in left yesterday. Is this normal, does he sometimes play outfield?
    It's happened a couple times I think and it's because the bats are thin in the outfield while there are a ton of infielders. Just trying to get people playing time.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Thanks, I figured that from looking at the roster, but wanted to see if it maybe was a sign of things to come, trying to see what we have where, etc...Esp with the once again continued Dunn trade theory heating up again...

Ya can't teach speed...

Actually, I'm nearly certain that the front office has sent down an order that certain players are expected to play more than one position. Its my understanding that want more versitility at the major league level. So, it may be reflective of playing time or too many infielders, but I beleive he's required to play the outfield on a scheduled basis regardless. You'll find several players doing the same at different levels. Anderson and Janish at AA, and Bruce at A+ are three that I know of for sure. There may be others.

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    It's happened a couple times I think and it's because the bats are thin in the outfield while there are a ton of infielders. Just trying to get people playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    Could be more than that...he's a top prospect with no one ahead of him. The other guys should be moving.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Need to get Votto ready for the bigs for when Krivsky flips Dunn for two injured relief pitchers next month.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Need to get Votto ready for the bigs for when Krivsky flips Dunn for two injured relief pitchers next month.
    Yeah, but he won't find out they are injured until a week after their arrival in Cincinnati.

I'm leaning towards thinking this is nothing more than a lack of healthy outfielders on the Louisville roster. At least I hope that's all it is.

I was at that game in Durham yesterday. Votto is not an outfielder; he was shaky on a few fly balls in the game. The whole organization is completely screwed up if they just don't let Votto settle into first base.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    The whole organization is completely screwed up
    Old news...haha. Maybe this is just a way to get him time this year in the bigs. Then next year he will be at 1B.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Old news...haha. Maybe this is just a way to get him time this year in the bigs. Then next year he will be at 1B.
    Yes, because that would make sense. Find him time in the OF with Dunn, Griffey, Freel and Hamilton.... or at first base with Conine and Hatteberg.... This organization makes my head hurt so much at times...

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes, because that would make sense. Find him time in the OF with Dunn, Griffey, Freel and Hamilton.... or at first base with Conine and Hatteberg.... This organization makes my head hurt so much at times...
    ^Thats what was making me wonder if something was up, possibly a Dunn trade as has been rumored for sooo long, looking to see if they have any gapp-plugs if they pull the trigger on Dunn....

Time to move Hatteberg and bring Votto. Keep Conine as a right-handed bat but try to move him at the deadline. Put Votto at first base and let him concentrate on learning to hit major league pitching. Keep on shopping Dunn, as I'm sure they are, not giving in for too little but remembering the salary savings are an important part of configuring next year's team too. Opening day 2008: Votto, Phillips, Gonzalez, EE; Griffey, Hamilton, RH hitting LF to be acquired; C to be acquired. Bench: Freel, Hopper, Keppinger, Valentin, LH pinch-hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Doug, do you think those four will be here in August? I don't.

I think Votto has been hitting too well in AAA to have hatteburg starting ne more... its time to deal him for a prospect... bring on the youth movement!

I think Votto will energize this offense...

Rick Sweet (Louisville manager) on a recent Durham radio interview said Joey Votto will hit at the major league league level he knows how to make adjustments.

He then said our job here is to refine other parts of his game. He needs work defensively at 1st base and will play some outfield to add to his versitility for the big leagues.

Appears Joey will bide time playing both spots till he is recalled. They were also amazed in Durham that Jeff Keppinger isn't on a big league roster as a utility man , the guy is a big league hitter in their eyes.

Turn Off Ads?