Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Fix the outfield defense

Fix the outfield defense

The Reds infield has disappointed defensively, particularly the left side. But Gonzo is solid (if somewhat less than stellar so far) and EE is improving. I think the infield will be ok eventually.

The outfield, however, is another story. The range factors reflect that Dunn and Griffey just don't cover any ground. Hamilton belongs in a corner, not center. Freel makes spectacular plays but obviously is not an everyday guy, Hopper is a corner outfielder (who often plays out of position in center).

Frankly, the best defensive guy I've seen out there this year is Wise.

Can the Reds ever have a good pitching staff with this outfield defense?

Can the Reds afford to keep Dunn and Griffey both out there indefinitely?

Would the Reds be better off with less offense but with better defensive outfielders?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fix the outfield defense

You bring up an interesting point about Hamilton. I haven't looked up his defensive numbers but just from watching him out there I don't get the impression that he's that fantastic a CF.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

OK, I just looked up Hamilton's defensive numbers he's about middle of the pack in ZR and RF so it's not like he has to move but coupled with KG's poor range in RF and Dunn's poor range in LF and it sure isn't a recipe for a successful defensive OF.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Can the Reds afford to keep Dunn and Griffey both out there indefinitely?

Would the Reds be better off with less offense but with better defensive outfielders?
    Dunn and JR out there is the Reds own doing, Dunn should have been at 1st 2 years ago, anyway it won't be a huge deal for that much longer, JR is out of here after next season.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Dunn and JR out there is the Reds own doing, Dunn should have been at 1st 2 years ago, anyway it won't be a huge deal for that much longer, JR is out of here after next season.
    Amen to this. Dunn should be at 1st and Griffey on the corner a couple years back. I think Freel and Hopper both are pretty good CF and Hamilton should probably be on the corner.

But, Dunn is our LF and while he is here that's not changing. He's a 40HR, 100 RBI, poor defensive high strike out player and that will probably never change.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If we ever get an OF of Bruce, Stubbs and Hamilton we will have a decent OF fielding wise.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    OK, I just looked up Hamilton's defensive numbers he's about middle of the pack in ZR and RF so it's not like he has to move but coupled with KG's poor range in RF and Dunn's poor range in LF and it sure isn't a recipe for a successful defensive OF.
    You'd be asking why too much of even the greatest CFer in the game with those two guys on either side of you. Jr 10 years ago would even hate to have to cover the Jr of today in RF.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

For now I'd keep Junior in right, Dunn in left, let Hamilton play center and have Freel come off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior View Post
    For now I'd keep Junior in right, Dunn in left, let Hamilton play center and have Freel come off the bench.
    Ditto, and I'd keep it that way until someone is traded from the outfield trio. Frankly, this offense is so inconsistent, that we don't have the luxury of fielding the best defensive unit in the OF. Hopefully in the not too terribly distant future, we'll see a Hamilton, Bruce, Dunn OF (or a RH power bat LF via trade), with Votto at 1B. Barring a trade for a prototypical leadoff hitting, A+ defender style of CF, I don't see a stellar OF defense on our immediate horizon.

PS: Hi, LGJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Ditto, and I'd keep it that way until someone is traded from the outfield trio. Frankly, this offense is so inconsistent, that we don't have the luxury of fielding the best defensive unit in the OF. Hopefully in the not too terribly distant future, we'll see a Hamilton, Bruce, Dunn OF (or a RH power bat LF via trade), with Votto at 1B. Barring a trade for a prototypical leadoff hitting, A+ defender style of CF, I don't see a stellar OF defense on our immediate horizon.

PS: Hi, LGJ.
    I don't think you'll ever see Hamilton, Bruce and Dunn. I think you may see Hamilton, Bruce and Griffey. Someday maybe we'll see Bruce in left, Hamilton in right, either Stubbs or another true centerfielder in center.

Turn Off Ads?