Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about grills, man.

Yay!

Re: Let's talk about grills, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The one thing I miss with the Genesis is the smoky flavor of charcoal.
    Taste the meat. Not the heat.

When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The one thing I miss with the Genesis is the smoky flavor of charcoal.
    WalMart sells little cast iron boxes that usually fit on top of the "flavorizer" bars in your gas grill. You can fill them with wood chips and get great, smoky flavor.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    WalMart sells little cast iron boxes that usually fit on top of the "flavorizer" bars in your gas grill. You can fill them with wood chips and get great, smoky flavor.
    Have you actually used those? Do they really give you a smoky flavor? I'll have to give it a shot if they really do work like that.

You can also use disposable aluminum drip pans for the smoker box. Just put it directly on the burner.

When I was thinking about getting a smoker last year, I went all gonzo and started looking at ones that costs many 100's of dollars.

I was told just to get a cheap one, see if I liked it, and then upgrade if I wanted.

So I got just a cheapo Brinkmann charcoal smoker from Lowes for about $50. Works great. I may upgrade in the future, but this one seems to work just fine for my learning uses.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...0-E&lpage=none

Pay attention to the open sky

Smoker - gas or charcoal?

Roy, now that you've used it, do you wish you'd gotten a gas one?

You guys have me looking at the Weber Smoky Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post

A friend of mine has one of those. He makes a mean brisket. Great. Now I'm hungry for brisket.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Mine is charcoal. I'm fine with it. Gas ones cost more.

From what I understand, gas ones regulate heat better. But I've had no problem keeping the temp at a fairly even level with mine.

Besides, I kinda like getting the smoker fired up in the early AM, throwing the meat on, and having it go all day. Brings out the caveman in me.

And I'm always leery about buying something new that I'm not sure if I'll use it or not. So I buy the cheap one and see if it takes. Gas ones started around $200 and went up fast.

Pay attention to the open sky

That's the one I use. Not too expensive, and it works great.

BTW - it's funny that this thread got started, considering that I spent Memorial Day weekend here: http://www.thinkbbq.com/.

My employer is one of the sponsors, and I was on our BBQ competition team.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 06-05-2007 at 05:41 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I always wanted a Big Green Egg. I used to drive by a place that sold them every day on the way to work.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/home.shtml
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I always wanted a Big Green Egg. I used to drive by a place that sold them every day on the way to work.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/home.shtml
    I've heard those are absolutely the best, but they're incredibly expensive for their size.

If you want a larger smoker, this one as good as they come (despite their craptastic web site):
    http://www.thegood-one.com/. They run about $700 dollars.

These are about $100 more, but are just as good. http://www.americanbarbecuesystems.com/abs/. These guys had a tent close to ours at the GABBQ. Two tricked-out RVs filled with Grey Goose vodka, a couple of 50" LCD TVs, and a DJ -- it was quite a party.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 06-05-2007 at 05:55 PM.

A Weber propane baby! Live on the edge!

"panic" only comes from having real expectations

That's the one I use. Not too expensive, and it works great.

BTW - it's funny that this thread got started, considering that I spent Memorial Day weekend here: http://www.thinkbbq.com/.

My employer is one of the sponsors, and I was on our BBQ competition team.
    How'd you do? I like to watch those things on FoodTV sometimes.

What did you BBQ?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Ok, I'm a dolt. How does a smoker work? I'm assuming that it's the "crock pot" of the grilling world? That is, it cooks at low(er) heat levels for a longer period of time? If so, how does it keep the heat levels down?
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 06-05-2007 at 07:56 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Ok, I'm a dolt. How does a smoker work?
    There are several different ways. Also there are several different methods of smoking. What we have been talking about is hot smoking. That is, smoking at temperatures of 150 degree - 200 or so degrees. There is also cold smoking (as in smoked salmon) which is smoking at temperatures of 100 degrees or less. "True" smoking is done in a hot box where wood is put on charcoal or other wood and the smoke is then taken to the smoker in which the meat lies. Here the meat is cooked only through the smoke. The picture 919191 showed is this type smoker. The box is on the side of the barrel.

There are other type of smokers in which on the bottom is charcoal or gas flame and soaked woodchips or chunks are added to the coals to produce smoke. In this case the meat is places above on a rack. The Weber smokey mountain, the Big Green Egg, and the Alton Brown terra cotta smokers are all this latter type.

I'm assuming that it's the "crock pot" of the grilling world? That is, it cooks at low(er) heat levels for a longer period of time?
    Yes this is true. It is low and slow. The benefit though is not just the breakdown of connective tissue, but also the smoke imparts a flavor in the food.

If so, how does it keep the heat levels down?
    Very carefully.
    Last edited by rdiersin; 06-05-2007 at 08:17 PM.

Turn Off Ads?