Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you trust Jerry Narron's handling of Homer Bailey during the rest of 2007?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 22.86%
  • No

81 77.14%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerry Narron and Homer Bailey's 2007 Workload

Jerry Narron and Homer Bailey's 2007 Workload

Simple question here ...

Regardless of whatever specific front office requirements may be implemented, do you trust Jerry Narron to do everything in his power to protect Homer Bailey's arm and future by limiting Bailey's workload to an acceptable level during the 2007 season?

A second question to ponder: Do you trust the Reds as an organization to do everything in their power to protect Homer Bailey's arm and future by limiting Bailey's workload to an acceptable level during the 2007 season?

Comparing Harang/Arroyo to Homer Bailey as far as workload is a bit of apples to oranges because of their ages and development, I know, but we also know that Harang/Arroyo have been by far the Reds' two best starting pitchers in ages, and we know that the 2007 Reds bullpen is still a complete mess, much like it has been for the past few years. We also know, unfortunately, how Narron has reacted to the combination of those factors. All that being said, here's some food for thought, courtesy of BP's pitcher abuse points ...
    • Aaron Harang: 4th in PAP in 2005, 3rd in PAP in 2006, and 6th in PAP so far in 2007
    • Bronson Arroyo: 6th in PAP in 2006, and 3rd in PAP so far in 2007
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Jerry Narron and Homer Bailey's 2007 Workload

Narron better do what he's told......and I'm assuming he'll be given guidelines...I would hope so, anyway.

Absouloutly not, nor do I trust Kirvsky to give him guidelines.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Narron better do what he's told......and I'm assuming he'll be given guidelines...I would hope so, anyway.
    I get the impression that Krivsky is "old school" in that he doesn't "give direction" to the manager. Personally I think it's a mistake if true b/c Narron could sorely use it.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I get the impression that Krivsky is "old school" in that he doesn't "give direction" to the manager. Personally I think it's a mistake if true b/c Narron could sorely use it.
    If Narron's a "baseball guy" then he should know enough to find out the workload that he's on, if Krivsky doesn't give him specific direction....

That workload is about 100 to 110 pitches (and 110 was more of stretching him out) tops right now....I'd rather keep around 90-100, for now, at least.

If I know that...then he should know that.

Hmmm ... is this poll stating that the results are hidden for everyone else?
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Hmmm ... is this poll stating that the results are hidden for everyone else?
    nope, i can see the results.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

If Narron's a "baseball guy" then he should know enough to find out the workload that he's on, if Krivsky doesn't give him specific direction....

That workload is about 100 to 110 pitches (and 110 was more of stretching him out) tops right now....I'd rather keep around 90-100, for now, at least.

If I know that...then he should know that.
    I doubt that the Reds will allow him to go much, in any, over 100 pitches. What I worry more about is overwork in a single inning.

This is a no brainer yes! It's against the grain here, but I truly believe they will be careful with him. They shut him down last year and if the Reds are out of it I can see them pitching every 6th day or a low pitch count. I could be wrong.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

He'd better be given guidelines, and it should be a firing offense if they're not followed.
    Not all who wander are lost

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'm just waiting for that first outing where he's at 100 pitches through 5 with 2 hits and 8 ks and Narron brings him out for the 6th only to see him implode with a few walks and a bomb after 20 more pitches...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I have no idea if you're right or not - and I hope you're not! - but if you are right, then that is painfully disturbing. Words cannot even describe how detrimental a lack of direction handed down from the front office to Narron could be for this organization.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm just waiting for that first outing where he's at 100 pitches through 5 with 2 hits and 8 ks and Narron brings him out for the 6th only to see him implode with a few walks and a bomb after 20 more pitches...
    That's Narron's M.O., and it's liable to happen by the end of the month, if not sooner. And like pedro said (and I referenced in the other thread), I'm very concerned about high pitch innings and what sort of trouble Bailey could get himself into if Narron lets him throw 40+ pitches in an early inning trying to work through a jam.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Even more disturbing is if Krivsky is handing down direction to Narron on pitch counts and doesn't have an issue with what's gone on so far.

No, but my caveat would be that almost no major league manager would handle him with kid gloves. He's going to be expected to deliver 6+ IP a start and if he's pitching well, Narron will ride him, like most other managers.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I would also like to point out that Lohse is 58 and Belisle is 60 on the pitching abuse system. Seems kind of high to have 4 pitchers in the top 60, but I could be wrong.
    I have long said I would prefer seeing Homer come up after Narron was gone. Perhaps early on, he might be careful - but I can see that not lasting. And later in the season, that could be more damaging.

Turn Off Ads?