Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLB draft this Wednesday -- who should the Reds take?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

MLB draft this Wednesday -- who should the Reds take?

Sorry if this has been posted already. I looked and didn't see anything.

Due to our better-than-expected 2006 season, we are picking 15th in the draft this year. Hopefully Krivsky doesn't make a bad pick like last year with Drew Stubbs. For as terrible as Dan O'Brien was overall, he was pretty good with the draft getting us Bailey in '04 and then Bruce in '05.

The Reds also have two sandwich picks (between the first and second rounds) for losing Aurilia and Schoenweis. Yes, I was as shocked as you. We actually get a sandwich pick for losing Schoenweis??? Yes we do.

With our first four picks (first round, 2 sandwich, second round) I would take three pitchers and a catcher. Or maybe two pitchers, a catcher and a power-hitting right-handed hitter -- either a third baseman or outfielder.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB draft this Wednesday -- who should the Reds take?

If Matt Wieters drops and the Reds don't take him, then I don't want to hear word one from the organization's mouth about how they're doing business differently.

If Wieters isn't there, I'd have my eye on guys like Matt Dominguez, Jarrod Parker, Nick Schmidt and Matt LaPorta.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Just picking nits - the title of your thread is misleading - the draft starts on Thursday.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Sorry if this has been posted already. I looked and didn't see anything.

Due to our better-than-expected 2006 season, we are picking 15th in the draft this year. Hopefully Krivsky doesn't make a bad pick like last year with Drew Stubbs. For as terrible as Dan O'Brien was overall, he was pretty good with the draft getting us Bailey in '04 and then Bruce in '05.

The Reds also have two sandwich picks (between the first and second rounds) for losing Aurilia and Schoenweis. Yes, I was as shocked as you. We actually get a sandwich pick for losing Schoenweis??? Yes we do.

With our first four picks (first round, 2 sandwich, second round) I would take three pitchers and a catcher. Or maybe two pitchers, a catcher and a power-hitting right-handed hitter -- either a third baseman or outfielder.
    Awful early to be giving up on Drew Stubbs don't you think?

I'm not trying to be funny, but I seriously think they should take the player with the highest potential regardless of age or experience (highschool or college), but he must not have injuries in his past (knee, arm, or shoulder surgeries). I don't care what position he is.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

^^I was just about to post the same thing. Best player available, period. There's no reason to draft for need when you don't know what your needs will be 3-4 years from now. I really don't care who they take as long as it's the best player on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    ^^I was just about to post the same thing. Best player available, period. There's no reason to draft for need when you don't know what your needs will be 3-4 years from now. I really don't care who they take as long as it's the best player on the board.
    Though it's sounds bizarre, it's amazing how many teams talk themselves out of the best player available for financial or self-inflicted BS reasons. That's why I bring up Wieters. If he's there at 15, he's without question the best player available.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I will also go with best player available, I believe that's the way to go in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Though it's sounds bizarre, it's amazing how many teams talk themselves out of the best player available for financial or self-inflicted BS reasons. That's why I bring up Wieters. If he's there at 15, he's without question the best player available.
    Agreed. Not to mention he is exactly what this organization needs. If they pass on Wieters, there will be no good defense possible from the front office.

thorn

Financial considerations are a part of the draft, whether we like it or not, it matters to many teams, even more so this year. If I'm not mistaken, outside of college seniors, teams have to sign thier picks by Aug 15, I may be wrong on this, but I remember something said about it. If that's the case, Boras will have a field day this year.

You can't talk yourself out of anything if you don't have the money. It is something you have to accept. I think Steve1492 said it best, low revenue teams are called that for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    You can't talk yourself out of anything if you don't have the money. It is something you have to accept. I think Steve1492 said it best, low revenue teams are called that for a reason.
    The difference beteen Wieters and whatever other option is monumental and well worth the money in this case. If the Reds don't have the money because of the likes of Cormier, Saarloos, and Stanton, then it's not because of financial reasons, but intelligence issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    The difference beteen Wieters and whatever other option is monumental and well worth the money in this case. If the Reds don't have the money because of the likes of Cormier, Saarloos, and Stanton, then it's not because of financial reasons, but intelligence issues.
    That money wasn't earmarked for the draft, but for payroll. Thus, express your concerns there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    That money wasn't earmarked for the draft, but for payroll. Thus, express your concerns there.
    My point is, that when there are potential difference makers in the draft that generally you can't afford, it is better to spend that extra money in the draft, rather than filling out the bottom of your roster.

If the plan was Stanton/Cormier/Saarloos is more valuable than the frm system, then the Reds have a massive hole in their plan.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Wow---Is it really a possibility that Wieters drops to 15th? I would think the Reds would be doing flips if that happens. I know I will be if it happens. That would be suh-weet. Even if he eventually moves off catching he'll hit at a corner wiyh a heller of an arm.

Is he a Boras-Baby?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?