Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Brennamans' hyperboles....

The Brennamans' hyperboles....

I listened to about 10 minutes of the game tonight in my truck and caught these 2 nuggets...

1) Marty - "Like it or not, the Reds are a better team with Hopper in the lineup instead of Adam Dunn"

2) Thom - "Javy Valentin is as good a fastball hitter as there is in the game" (which I took and believe he meant the entire big leagues)

My opinion....ridiculous. How do they get away with that? Discuss.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Brennamans' hyperboles....

Marty didn't really say that did he? He can't actually believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Marty didn't really say that did he? He can't actually believe that.
    Absolutely he did...I was stunned....he blamed it on Dunn's multi million dollar contract.

i have come to believe that marty is a complete idiot

If Marty was the GM, the Reds would win a maximum of 50 games per season. Marty would disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

2) Thom - "Javy Valentin is as good a fastball hitter as there is in the game" (which I took and believe he meant the entire big leagues)
    I would have to agree with that statement. Javy seems to look for nothing but fastballs and try and rake. He wasnt saying he is one of the best hitters in the game just that he is a great fastball hitter. It is actually an indictment on his game more than anything. That you can be as good at something as anybody and still be the second catcher is sad. He is what he is, not that there is anything wrong with that.

"1) Marty - "Like it or not, the Reds are a better team with Hopper in the lineup instead of Adam Dunn""

If you really, really think about it, that statement is not as far fetched as one might think. Would you rather have a .320 hitter who does all the little things to help you win or a .250, 40 homer guy in which MAYBE 15 of those Homers come at meaningful times. Not to mention he's a huge defensive liability.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Not to mention he's a huge defensive liability.
    I don't really think this is true. While he is certainly not a top defender, Dunn's defense certainly does not seem to be the liability that it is made out to be. Everyone remembers the disastrous 3 error opening day of last year and forgets that he has only made 3 errors all year. He might not be pretty, but he usually gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I don't really think this is true. While he is certainly not a top defender, Dunn's defense certainly does not seem to be the liability that it is made out to be. Everyone remembers the disastrous 3 error opening day of last year and forgets that he has only made 3 errors all year. He might not be pretty, but he usually gets the job done.
    You are not watching the games! Dunn is the worst OF in baseball! I can't believe anyone could possible defend his defense. It's not only about errors. He also has horrible range.

"1) Marty - "Like it or not, the Reds are a better team with Hopper in the lineup instead of Adam Dunn""

If you really, really think about it, that statement is not as far fetched as one might think. Would you rather have a .320 hitter who does all the little things to help you win or a .250, 40 homer guy in which MAYBE 15 of those Homers come at meaningful times. Not to mention he's a huge defensive liability.
    Yeah it's nice to have a guy who can hit .320 and get on base. I'd rather have Hopper than Freel thats for sure. But you also need guys like Dunn to drive in guys like Hopper. If we had 8 hoppers out there we'd have a combined 8 Rbi's. Hopper isn't any real threat to drive in guys.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Quote Originally Posted by eastkyred View Post
    You are not watching the games! Dunn is the worst OF in baseball! I can't believe anyone could possible defend his defense. It's not only about errors. He also has horrible range.
    In a related note willy Mo Pena and Manny Ramirez say hello.

Oh, how we love hyperbole. I'll post some numbers to refute this post later on.

First off, if Norris Hopper played a full season, I really have a hard time believing he would hit .320. Let's for the sake of argument say that he would hit .290 at the big league level. I am of the opinion that Hopper would still put up a lower OBP than Dunn, hence he would be making more outs that Dunn. I also believe he would score fewer runs and knock in a lot fewer. And good defense just cannot make up for that in a left fielder.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

The stats below come from the Hardball Times Zone Rating calculation for LF for 2006. They determine a zone for all LF and then calcuate the fractions of outs made compared to opportunities in that zone. The stats below refute the claim that Dunn is the worst outfielder in baseball and has horrible range. In fact, it appears that he is about average for all LF. But then again, maybe I don't watch enough games to know what I'm talking about.
    Code:
    Year       Last, First  Tm    ZR       OOZ 
    2006	Roberts, Dave	SD  .932	 34
    2006	Ethier, Andre E	LAN .920	 23
    2006	Cabrera, Melky	NYA .915	 35
    2006	Murton, Matt	CHN .904	 43
    2006	Podsednik, Sc	CHA .896	 46
    2006	Soriano, Alf	WAS .881   53
    2006	Dunn, Adam	CIN  .878	 42
    2006	Holliday, Matt	COL .871	 54
    2006	Ibanez, Raul	SEA .868	 51
    2006	Bay, Jason	PIT  .867	 56
    2006	Gonzalez, Luis	ARI  .863	 41
    2006	Michaels, Jas	CLE  .860	 42
    2006	Crawford, Carl	TB  .857	 51
    2006	Bonds, Barry	SF  .855     35
    2006	Burrell, Pat	PHI .844	 26
    2006	Willingham, J	FLA .819	 30
    2006	Monroe, Craig	DET .796	 39
    2006	Ramirez, Manny	BOS .643	 38

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    The stats below come from the Hardball Times Zone Rating calculation for LF for 2006. They determine a zone for all LF and then calcuate the fractions of outs made compared to opportunities in that zone. The stats below refute the claim that Dunn is the worst outfielder in baseball and has horrible range. In fact, it appears that he is about average for all LF. But then again, maybe I don't watch enough games to know what I'm talking about.
    Code:
    Year       Last, First  Tm    ZR       OOZ 
    2006	Roberts, Dave	SD  .932	 34
    2006	Ethier, Andre E	LAN .920	 23
    2006	Cabrera, Melky	NYA .915	 35
    2006	Murton, Matt	CHN .904	 43
    2006	Podsednik, Sc	CHA .896	 46
    2006	Soriano, Alf	WAS .881   53
    2006	Dunn, Adam	CIN  .878	 42
    2006	Holliday, Matt	COL .871	 54
    2006	Ibanez, Raul	SEA .868	 51
    2006	Bay, Jason	PIT  .867	 56
    2006	Gonzalez, Luis	ARI  .863	 41
    2006	Michaels, Jas	CLE  .860	 42
    2006	Crawford, Carl	TB  .857	 51
    2006	Bonds, Barry	SF  .855     35
    2006	Burrell, Pat	PHI .844	 26
    2006	Willingham, J	FLA .819	 30
    2006	Monroe, Craig	DET .796	 39
    2006	Ramirez, Manny	BOS .643	 38
    What are you thinking using stats. Watching Dunn tells the WHOLE story of his game. Nice work digging this up.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Turn Off Ads?