Turn Off Ads?

Thread: June 6, 1944 D-Day Anniversary is Today

June 6, 1944 D-Day Anniversary is Today

Today is the 63rd anniversary of D-Day. Take a moment to remember those that served on this day and the one's that gave their life so we can have a much better life. I posted a link to the D-Day museum in New Orleans. I have never been there but it looks like a good place to visit. Has anyone on this forum been there?

http://www.ddaymuseum.org/
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: June 6, 1944 D-Day Anniversary is Today

http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/reagan-d-day.htm

As many times as I've read this, it still makes me choke up.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/reagan-d-day.htm

As many times as I've read this, it still makes me choke up.
    Thanks for posting that. Great stuff.

Definatley an amazing accomplishment by some amazing men. I have to remember to call my Grandfather today. He was there a few days after D day and was an active particpant in the battle of the bulge amoungs others.

But the amount of men and machinery involved and the millitary feet that was acomplished...mind bogeling.

For a Level Playing Field

I've been to Pearl Harbor. That's a powerful place.

At some point in my life, I'd also like to get to the beaches of Northern France.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I've been to Pearl Harbor. That's a powerful place.

At some point in my life, I'd also like to get to the beaches of Northern France.
    Two places that I have always wanted to visit.
    During memorial Day weekend, I visited the cemetery where my dad's body is buried. While there I, as usual, went to a nearby tombstone of a person who died a few years ago-next to his marker is another marker in memory of his brother which indicates that he died on 6/4/42 on the U.S.S. Yorktown and was buried at sea-6/4/42 was the first day of the Battle of Midway, a battle in which the carrier Yorktown was eventually sunk, but not before contributing to the American victory that turned the tide in the Pacific.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

For anyone who has XM, the '40's channel is airing the actual NBC news releases from the day.

Relive the D-Day Invasion
    June 6 at 12:41 AM-June 7 at 5:45 PM ET

The '40s - XM 4 brings history alive when it presents a 40-hour real-time re-creation of NBC Radio's coverage of the the massive Allied landing on the Normandy coast of France on June 6th, 1944.

Beginning with the first bulletin on that morning, which aired at 12:41 AM Eastern War Time (same as Eastern Daylight Time), The '40s - XM 4 will provide minute-by-minute coverage of the invasion for 40 hours as heard on the National Broadcasting Company's radio network.

"Once we discovered that this material existed, we felt we had an obligation to bring it to XM listeners," said Program Director Marlin Taylor said. "No one else would undertake such an endeavor and it is our role to keep the music and history of this era alive and available to those living in the 21st century."
    Source.

When I was in high school, one of the head maintenance men at our school was a D-Day veteran. One time, he came in to talk to us our history class about the day. As I recall, he was in the 2nd wave.

Back then, I thought it was very interesting but didn't fully comprehend what D-Day was really like. He talked as though he was just doing his job when he went up the beach. So while he didn't give a full reality of what it was like, as I got older and learned more about the invasion, he ended up teaching me something about all the soldiers who served in WWII.

All the men involved were part of an incredible operation and did their jobs well. They changed the world and deserve our eternal admiration.
    Last edited by durl; 06-06-2007 at 02:41 PM.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

My grandfather wasn't on the beach. He was in the 101st airborne and was one of those dropped the night before to secure various objectives behind the lines. Those airborne troops of the 101st and 82nd played a vital role in the success of the invasion by tying up German troops that otherwise would have been sent to the beaches as reinforcements. Every man did his job that day, but many of them far exceeded the call of duty if you ask me.

D-Day anniversaries always cause me to break out my Band Of Brothers DVD set and watch it straight through. I don't care if I have the time to watch or not, I'll somehow make time.

Major Dick Winters has still not received his rightly earned Medal of Honor and time is starting to go against as his age and a bout with Parkinsons Disease is catching up with him quickly. Please, all who wish, go to this site and sign the petition to have him awarded the Medal of Honor while he's still alive to receive it.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Winters/petition.html

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    For anyone who has XM, the '40's channel is airing the actual NBC news releases from the day.

Source.
    Thanks! I wish I had known sooner. I am listening right now to the 40's channel. It goes until tonight.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    D-Day anniversaries always cause me to break out my Band Of Brothers DVD set and watch it straight through. I don't care if I have the time to watch or not, I'll somehow make time.

Major Dick Winters has still not received his rightly earned Medal of Honor and time is starting to go against as his age and a bout with Parkinsons Disease is catching up with him quickly. Please, all who wish, go to this site and sign the petition to have him awarded the Medal of Honor while he's still alive to receive it.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Winters/petition.html
    Thanks for posting. I signed up.

Turn Off Ads?