Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Krivsky move that baffles me the most

The Krivsky move that baffles me the most

I am a bigger fan of Krivsky than most on this board, but I can't understand the Coffey re-signing. It's not the fact that he re-signed, but the amount. Unless I am missing something, Coffey would not be arbitration eligable next season. He is struggling. Why will he be paid close to a million dollars next year when the Reds can pay him the leauge minimum? Small market teams can't afford to give money away. We (as we should) pay Phillips, Hamilton, and Edwin at or near league minimum because they have no recourse. Why are we not doing the same with Coffey.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Re: The Krivsky move that baffles me the most

Quote Originally Posted by The Snow Chief View Post
    I am a bigger fan of Krivsky than most on this board, but I can't understand the Coffey re-signing. It's not the fact that he re-signed, but the amount. Unless I am missing something, Coffey would not be arbitration eligable next season. He is struggling. Why will he be paid close to a million dollars next year when the Reds can pay him the leauge minimum? Small market teams can't afford to give money away. We (as we should) pay Phillips, Hamilton, and Edwin at or near league minimum because they have no recourse. Why are we not doing the same with Coffey.
    I suppose because he was a very solid reliever last year, and chances were that he would get out of this funk he's been in and start putting up those same kind of numbers. However, Krivsky forgot that Coffey is currently wearing a Reds uniform and apparently that means that you must be awful no matter what your career numbers or your "stuff" suggests.

Yeah I think the FO was thinking that possible Coffey is better than what his numbers have shown thus far. I think they were trying to buy cheap with the possiblitly of him becoming more expensive.

Sometimes you lose and sometimes you win. FO's seems to lose most of the time and players seem to win mostly.
    Don't smoke'em if you got'em

Quote Originally Posted by Marge'sMullet View Post
    Yeah I think the FO was thinking that possible Coffey is better than what his numbers have shown thus far.
    Right, but my understanding is that Coffey wasn't arb-eligible yet. In 2006 he made the rookie minimum ($339,000) and would be due to make the second year minimum this year but for some inconceivable reason Krivsky decided to triple his salary.

Typically when you bump a young guy's salary the club gets something out of it--typically, buying out some arbitration years. I believe the Tribe have done this with Hafner and Sizemore. The Reds get nothing out of this 1-year deal except spending $600,000 they really had no obligation or need to spend.

(For details on MLB contracts, check out: http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...i-reds_24.html)

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Right, but my understanding is that Coffey wasn't arb-eligible yet. In 2006 he made the rookie minimum ($339,000) and would be due to make the second year minimum this year but for some inconceivable reason Krivsky decided to triple his salary.

Typically when you bump a young guy's salary the club gets something out of it--typically, buying out some arbitration years. I believe the Tribe have done this with Hafner and Sizemore. The Reds get nothing out of this 1-year deal except spending $600,000 they really had no obligation or need to spend.

(For details on MLB contracts, check out: http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...i-reds_24.html)
    Right. That's my point. They could have paid him at least a half million less. I don't have a problem with the signing, just the overpayment.

Right. That's my point. They could have paid him at least a half million less. I don't have a problem with the signing, just the overpayment.
    My original post was inaccurate: Coffey is making the second-year minimum this year (appx $400,000) and is bumped up to about $900,000 for 2008.

You know, there is one justification for this, and that's if Krivsky thought that Coffey might be a Super Two in 2008 and eligible for arbitration. Had Coffey proven himself as the team's closer, then he may have ended up in that top 17% of third-year players in 2008 that get access to the arb process. Krivsky might have feared that Coffey, perhaps coming off a 30 SV season, would have garnered $2M or so in arbitration and wanted to head that possibility off at the pass.

In most cases, I would say that that is an acceptable risk that hasn't worked out. Here, however, you have to question the decision because Coffey was not exactly lights-out by the end of last year.

Yeah I see what you're saying. Although I guess anytime you can avoid a dicey arbitration case you go ahead and pull the trigger. Coffey wasn't overpaid by that much, at least by today's standards. My guess is that if Krivsky thought he could avoid arb. with Coffey by giving a little extra money up now, then it'd be worth it. However, Coffey's continued poor performance is not quite justifying that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    My guess is that Krivsky thought he could avoid arb. with Coffey by giving a little extra money up now, then it'd be worth it.
    But, as noted above, it's far from clear that Coffey would have even been arb-eligible in 2008 (at least as I understand the system).

But, as noted above, it's far from clear that Coffey would have even been arb-eligible in 2008 (at least as I understand the system).
    Yeah I don't think anybody fully understands the Super-2 rule. However, I would hope that a GM of a professional baseball team does. IMO, he saw that Coffey was going to be eligible, and worked out this contract to avoid the potential mess of an arb. hearing. At least, that's my guess, as I'm only vaguely aware of the arb. rules myself.

Because he has a very, very difficult time judging talent, as far as pitchers go. Look at all the one's that he's acquired or signed. The only one that is worth remotely anything is Arroyo. Then look at the one's he's let go. It's a lose-lose thing.

I am reallystarting to Doubt Krivsky. I hate to say that. But we haven't gotten better by his moves. I loke Coffey and maybe they were hoping money would help with confidence or something.

Actually I see the logic in that move. Coffey had been an ok reliever who was probably going to be arbitration eligable after this season anyway and I think Krivsky did this to give Coffey more of a peace of mind feeling. IMO it seems that Coffey can get rattled easily on the mound and Krivsky new around what he would be playing Coffey anyway so he gave him the contract early.

Coffey would have been a super two arbitration eligible player. Coming into this season he had 1 year and 160 days of service. So, factoring in his brief minor league stint, he more than likely will end the year at 2 years and 150 days of service. I think this would definitely make him a Super 2 arbitration eligible player.
    I'm not a hooligan. I'm a Reds supporter.

Hooray Beer!

Regardless, it's probably not a move Krivsky would've made if he knew how ineffective Coffey was going to be this season.

yeah, krivsky and narron are very progressive, what an incredible duo, they are quite creative and inventive. Their intrepid preemptive strike to remold the team, and the bullpen has yielded fruitful results. I especially enjoy how they rapaciously raid other teams rosters and pick up valuable veterans

Turn Off Ads?