Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Draft Resources.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Draft Resources.

My latest blog post has a host of links.

Very interesting mock draft posted free-style at Baseball Prospectus has the Reds rolling the dice that 3B Kevin Ahrens, the general consensus pick assigned to them in most other draft speculation, would still be around at pick #34, the supplemental selection we got for losing (snif) Rich Aurilia. So we'd hypothetically be adding Quebecois HS RHP Phillipe Almont, rated #11 on Kevin Goldstein's overall draft board:

---
    11. Phillippe Aumount, RHP, Ecole Du Versant HS (QUE)
    Pros: Tall Canadian fires mid-90s fastball and pretty good slider; well-proportioned and repeats his delivery well for an inexperienced pitcher with his size.
    Cons: Scouts have gotten few chances to see him, as he has no high school team (he comes to the U.S. to pitch in showcase-style events); violent mechanics leave some questioning his ability to throw 75-100 pitches every five days.
    ---

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Draft Resources.

Found this piece from Yahoo Sports

15) Cincinnati Reds: Julio Borbon, OF, Tennessee – One of the most well-stocked organizations in baseball, the Reds can go in plenty of different directions. Early projections linked them to Houston-area third baseman Kevin Ahrens, though this seems a bit early. Borbon, the polished outfielder, seems a better fit, much like Texas center fielder Drew Stubbs was last season.

Summary: After missing the first chunk of the season with a fractured ankle, Borbon returned on March 20. The key for him was to show that his best tool, his speed, had returned, and he was beginning to do just that, though the extra-base pop scouts saw last year and over the summer wasn’t there consistently. Pure center fielders with leadoff skills are not numerous in this draft, so Borbon still should garner plenty of early-round consideration.

Sounds like a leadoff hitter who's bat is behind the rest of his game.
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 06-06-2007 at 05:50 PM.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

"Well-stocked" is a bit of an overstatement. It is nice to be in the top half of organizations, however.

I'm going to drop a brick on my balls if the Reds select Julio Borbon at number 15.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm going to drop a brick on my balls if the Reds select Julio Borbon at number 15.
    Word. No reason to pick another DrewStubbs.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

HAHA, man that would hurt........

The brick on the balls too
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

I agree. I'll drop a brick on them too if we pick Burbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    "Well-stocked" is a bit of an overstatement. It is nice to be in the top half of organizations, however.
    In outfielders. Lets hope Julio Borbon, if the Reds pick him it is in the 3rd round because they have no business even thinking about him in the first two rounds.

Good thing Yahoo sports sucks along with Julio Borbon.

Stubbs is no sure thing and the Reds could very well lose both Dunn and Griffey over the next 1-2 seasons. Borbon would not be a bad pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Borbon would not be a bad pick.
    Yes, he would.
    Go BLUE!!!

Can he pitch?

Can he consistently hit the crap out of the ball?

Those are the two most important questions the Reds should be asking themselves before they pick anyone.

A "No" to both questions means to move along.

Turn Off Ads?