Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maurice Clarett Back at Ohio State

Maurice Clarett Back at Ohio State

This made me laugh this morning.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State University says former football star Maurice Clarett has been granted re-entry to pursue his degree after he spent more than three years in prison.

Ohio State spokesman Jim Lynch says in a statement that Clarett started classes on Monday after he was readmitted by the College of Education and Human Ecology, where he was originally enrolled.

Clarett says in a statement that it is a "surreal feeling to be back at Ohio State" and that he doesn't want to be a "distraction or nuisance" to the football team or other students.

Clarett led the Buckeyes to the 2002 national championship in his only college season. He pleaded guilty in 2006 to aggravated robbery and carrying a concealed weapon, and served 3˝ years in a Toledo prison, where he took college-credit courses.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Maurice Clarett Back at Ohio State

dont call it a comeback

I thought it was a good thing. He massively screwed up in the past and now he's trying to rebuild his life.

Like I tell my kids, you can't change the past, but you can change the future. Its never too late to start making it better.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I'm guessing he'll have to put in a little more work to get his degree this time around. No freebies this time around because he's a football player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

What, exactly, is Human Ecology?

Human ecology is the interdisciplinary or transdisciplinary study of the relationship between humans and their natural, social, and built environments.

What Roy said.

Hopefully he is surrounding himself with the right people.

It sounds like he's coming into the situation humbled and looking to do something positive in his life. Good for him. It's gotta be agonizing when he thinks about what he squandered.

Give him credit for going back to tOSU as well. He could very easily go to some anonymous college and not draw any attention to himself. After all he's done wrong so publicly, I'd imagine going back to tOSU by itself is pretty humbling.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

And good for OSU for allowing him to come back. They had every reason not to let him back, but they seem to have done the right thing. I hope for nothing but the best for the guy.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Hopefully he can turn it around. What's gotten lost in all this is that Clarett comes from a horrible background. Lots of people with no guidance are going to do tremendously stupid things in their late teens and early 20s, let alone when you are as privileged as a star college football player. Still plenty of time to turn his life into a positive though.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Good for him in his efforts to improve his life and I wish him all the best at tOSU. I hope he gets that degree.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I wonder if he'd trade one training camp with the Broncos for a few year of college eligibility.As much trouble as Maurice has has with the NCAA I'm sure he could be the poster child for college athletes staying in school.I imagine there's a job making a decent amount of money waiting somewhere if he can keep his head on straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I wonder if he'd trade one training camp with the Broncos for a few year of college eligibility.As much trouble as Maurice has has with the NCAA I'm sure he could be the poster child for college athletes staying in school.I imagine there's a job making a decent amount of money waiting somewhere if he can keep his head on straight.
    If he has learned his lesson, there is job going from school to school telling his story every spring and fall to incoming freshmen.

I was thinking about this today. Now that the story has seemingly come full circle. Imagine what could have been. Ohio State's 2003 and 2004 seasons would have been radically different, and Clarett could have been in the NFL with the right approach. It truly is a cautionary tale.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I have always been under the impressions that Jim Tressel not only wants his players to succeed on the football field but also in life. He says it but I truly think he believes it. Its one of the reasons I respect him so much as a man. He understands that there is life after football.

I appreciate OSU for doing this for Clarett. The amount of money he brought into the university not only at the time but in also selling 2003 National Championship merchandise is substantial. While his life has been a mess ever since that magical season, OSU did offer him a scholarship and its nice to see them honoring it.

Turn Off Ads?