Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Wie Saga/Golf tips

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Michelle Wie Saga

The one thing that helped me improve was when I stopped trying to crush my drives. I still use my driver but I just take a nice easy swing with it and try to hit the ball straight. I don't have a lot of length, but most of my drives end up in the fairway where I have a reasonable chance from there. When I get into trouble is when I try to hit it too hard and then I end up slicing it or just plain not making good solid contact.

I do agree that ego can really mess up your game. Here's a case in point. I do pretty well between 125 and 150 yards out. I have a hard time inside that distance, unless I'm chipping. It's that shot from 70-100 yards that I have a lot of trouble with for some reason. I'm either too long or too short, but if I'm anywhere between 125-150, I can usually put it on the green and not be too far away from the hole. Because of that I try to play my longer shots with a mind to give myself an approach shot somewhere in that range. If I get one of those short par 4 holes where a good drive might put me inside 100 yards, I like to hit a shorter club off the tee and give myself something over 100 yards. Maybe I need to work more on those shorter shots, but I've noticed that I shoot better scores when I sometimes hit a shorter drive and have an approach shot I'm more comfortable with.

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's just smart Golf ORH.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I do agree that ego can really mess up your game. Here's a case in point. I do pretty well between 125 and 150 yards out. I have a hard time inside that distance, unless I'm chipping. It's that shot from 70-100 yards that I have a lot of trouble with for some reason. I'm either too long or too short, but if I'm anywhere between 125-150, I can usually put it on the green and not be too far away from the hole. Because of that I try to play my longer shots with a mind to give myself an approach shot somewhere in that range. If I get one of those short par 4 holes where a good drive might put me inside 100 yards, I like to hit a shorter club off the tee and give myself something over 100 yards. Maybe I need to work more on those shorter shots, but I've noticed that I shoot better scores when I sometimes hit a shorter drive and have an approach shot I'm more comfortable with.
    If you have the means I would suggest trying a new set of wedges. Or whatever you hit from inside 100 yards. It is a mental thing more than anything. I used to play the Armour 855's and I hated my 4 iron. It was a pull to a pull hook every time I tried to hit the ball. Everytime I was in that range I was thinking about that same bad shot. A few years later I got a new set of clubs the Mizzuno mp 14's. My 4 iron is my favorite club in my bag. However I had a problem with my 9 iron. I went on ebay and bought the same 9 iron and hit it the way I want. I guess in summary its more of a mental thing than anything. It would frustrate me to no ends if I could not convert from within 100 yards so I see where your frustration is coming from.

Bucksfan has a heart to heart with the latest club in his bag to get on his nerves:

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If you have the means I would suggest trying a new set of wedges. Or whatever you hit from inside 100 yards. It is a mental thing more than anything. I used to play the Armour 855's and I hated my 4 iron. It was a pull to a pull hook every time I tried to hit the ball. Everytime I was in that range I was thinking about that same bad shot. A few years later I got a new set of clubs the Mizzuno mp 14's. My 4 iron is my favorite club in my bag. However I had a problem with my 9 iron. I went on ebay and bought the same 9 iron and hit it the way I want. I guess in summary its more of a mental thing than anything. It would frustrate me to no ends if I could not convert from within 100 yards so I see where your frustration is coming from.
    How do you more advanced golfers feel about "spining" your clubs?

I have read a few articles that your shafts have "spines" and if they are aligned differently on your clubs, you'll hit some of them more consitantly that others.

The advice I received was to pick out your favorite club and have somebody spine all your clubs to that club.

I have not done it, but I am considering it as a part of my next set of irons.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    How do you more advanced golfers feel about "spining" your clubs?

I have read a few articles that your shafts have "spines" and if they are aligned differently on your clubs, you'll hit some of them more consitantly that others.

The advice I received was to pick out your favorite club and have somebody spine all your clubs to that club.

I have not done it, but I am considering it as a part of my next set of irons.

GL
    Getting your clubs spined would help just about everyone, but how much is the real question. For some people, it could help a lot, but for others it might be marginal.

Here's the problem. It costs a small fortune. You're probably looking at $35-$40 per club, unless you know someone who knows someone. That's a lot. Almost enough to buy a new set of irons. But, if you can get it done to a new set before you buy them it might be well worth it if it only cost $10 or so extra per club. Then it would be a good investment.

I'm lucky I have a friend who does this type of work for me. I've had clubs frequency matched, spined, matched for bend point, etc. It does help.

I would recommend picking out your favorite iron or two and have them checked out by a good club fitter. Ask him what the swing weight is, the overall weight, the frequency, length, etc. Then have him match the rest of your set as close to those two using those measures. It'll be good enough for the majority of golfers.

Also, get your lie and lofts checked. Having the right lie is very important. If it's off a couple of degrees it can have disastrous effects. It'd be like putting on a dress shirt that was 15" or 17" inches for your neck when you're a 16". It can make that much of a difference.

What's truely amazing is how most golfers don't get their clubs fitted for them. Would you buy a suit off the rack without having your arms, shoulders, etc. measured? No way, right? It's the same with golf clubs. And they cost 4 times as much as a suit. Spending $500-$1000 on a new set of clubs is almost useless if they don't fit your stature and swing.

If you want to enjoy the game more, invest $100 into getting your clubs fitted to your swing. It'll make the game much more enjoyable.
    Last edited by Redhook; 06-19-2007 at 11:02 PM.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Re: Michelle Wie Saga/Golf tips

Shot 82 in the first round of the US open.

Is it possible she could turn out to be one of the greatest flops in sports history?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Shot 82 in the first round of the US open.

Karrie Webb shot 83.

Just sayin'.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Karrie Webb shot 83.

Just sayin'.
    Karrie Webb didn't finish 35 shots out of the lead in the last major. Just said.

Wie has not broken par in what is now extended to 20+ rounds

Wie is back in action this week and opened up with a 69. I'm guessing it's her first round in the 60's in quite a while.

I'm watching round 2 right now and just watched Wie's swing in slow-mo. It's official: Leadbetter has ruined her golf swing. Her swing is so fast that her slow motion swing looks like real time. Her legs are all out of sorts too. I'm surprised she still takes lessons from him.

Fortunately, it looks like she is getting her confidence back though. I hope her swing mechanics follow suit. I'm rooting for her to get her game back. I might be in the minority, but I think she's quite an asset and getting her back to form would do nothing but good things for the game of golf.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Wie is back in action this week and opened up with a 69. I'm guessing it's her first round in the 60's in quite a while.

I'm watching round 2 right now and just watched Wie's swing in slow-mo. It's official: Leadbetter has ruined her golf swing. Her swing is so fast that her slow motion swing looks like real time. Her legs are all out of sorts too. I'm surprised she still takes lessons from him.

Fortunately, it looks like she is getting her confidence back though. I hope her swing mechanics follow suit. I'm rooting for her to get her game back. I might be in the minority, but I think she's quite an asset and getting her back to form would do nothing but good things for the game of golf.

I thought I saw some kind of headline the other day about problems with her wrists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Wie is currently going to school at Stanford and won't reach her prime for another 7-10 years. Calling her a flop at this point is jumping the gun a little.

Not sure about Leadbetter ruining her swing. Could be that way I guess. But people said the same thing about Hank Haney and Tiger. Michelle shouldn't be hammered because she had some success as a 14 year old. Golf is not an easy game, she has had the wrist problem and she is a freshman at Stanford.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else ever been called a HUGE flop while in their freshmen year at Stanford?

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Wie is currently going to school at Stanford and won't reach her prime for another 7-10 years. Calling her a flop at this point is jumping the gun a little.

Not sure about Leadbetter ruining her swing. Could be that way I guess. But people said the same thing about Hank Haney and Tiger. Michelle shouldn't be hammered because she had some success as a 14 year old. Golf is not an easy game, she has had the wrist problem and she is a freshman at Stanford.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else ever been called a HUGE flop while in their freshmen year at Stanford?
    I don't think she's a flop at all and I hope you weren't referring to me. I don't think you were. She's a hell of player. I've watched her in person multiple times. She's good.

Leadbetter is ruining her swing. I'm pretty confident in my opinion on that. I'm a golf instructor so I have an idea of what I'm talking about. Her swing was much better before she met Lead. Now, it's fast and furious and all out of sorts. She keeps hitting it low and left due to her quick transition and hanging back on her downswing.

I think she's a bright girl and will do just fine. She's a multi-millionaire already and is in school at Stanford. Not bad if you ask me. Hopefully her posse will allow to grow and play tournaments better suited to make her successful long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I thought I saw some kind of headline the other day about problems with her wrists.
    She had some serious wrist problems last year. I don't know if that caused her poor play, but it's hard to play good golf when your wrists hurt. I've had to withdrawal from several tournaments from bad wrists. When you're scared and hesistant to hit the ground because your wrists hurt, it's virtually impossible to play well.

I think her wrists are doing better now. With her you never know though. I wouldn't be surprised if she faked some of the wrist injuries to excuse her poor play last year.

BTW, she's duck-hooking all over the place right now. I wish I could give her a tip or two because her swing is off right now.

Leadbetter is ruining her swing. I'm pretty confident in my opinion on that.
    Every time that I have ever read anything about the swing from David Leadbetter, and tried to apply it to my game, I have had terrible results to the point of having to almost start all over. I don't listen or read anything Leadbetter puts out. I cringe every time I hear his name. His stuff is definitely not for everyone.

Turn Off Ads?