Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Wie Saga/Golf tips

Re: Michelle Wie Saga/Golf tips

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Did she? I thought she lost in the Semis at Shaker Run.

I still don't think she played enough Junior golf.
    The one at Shaker was against the boys.....which was damn impressive. She won the girls a few years back.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

2. Turn Off Ads?

She won it in 2003. She was 13.

She got as high as number 2 in the world.

She finished in the top five in every major a couple of years ago.

I agree that college golf would have been a waste of time and not worth what they would have been giving up.

Had she elected to play college golf, how many tourneys would she have played in, lets say, two years? 10-15? Hasn't she played in that many pro tournaments during that time? How is she not gaining the same amount of experience in how to properly sign the scorecard on the LPGA tour as she would if she was on the Stanford women's team? The only difference I see is that a mistake like that in college would have cost her teammates as much as her while on tour it is all on the individual.

The girl seems to have a good head on her shoulders and if she wants to go to the mall instead of beat balls on the range, good for her. Why should she be under any more pressure to get her game in order as a law student in his junior year is to pass the bar ASAP? 21 year old med students aren't asked to perform open heart surgery. Give the girl a break.

As for the parents who never learn...

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/...825090,00.html

It sounds like BJ is getting some serious pressure from the bosses at Nike.

"I think the qualifying conflicts with school, so I probably won't go to that," Wie said last month at the U.S. Women's Open in Minnesota. But that was when she had greater hopes of winning enough money to become exempt for next year.

Her father made it sound as though Q-school was a distinct possibility at the time.

"What other options do we have?" he said.

Now if she were an aspiring NBA player, we'd talk about what a great perspective.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I don't know if Wie is on the right path or not, but I thought this was funny:

http://sports.popcrunch.com/the-50-h...s-of-all-time/

They have her ranked the 8th hottest golfer of all time:

http://sports.popcrunch.com/the-50-h...all-time-10-1/

I'm kind of partial to Anna Rawson and Paula Creamer myself.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I don't know if Wie is on the right path or not, but I thought this was funny:

http://sports.popcrunch.com/the-50-h...s-of-all-time/

They have her ranked the 8th hottest golfer of all time:

http://sports.popcrunch.com/the-50-h...all-time-10-1/

Wow, that list was brutal. Morgan Pressel in the top 10?
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Ahhhhh, me likey Paula. She's got a cute face and all, but......
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Wow, that list was brutal. Morgan Pressel in the top 10?
    Top 25 for Morgan would be generous.

*bump*

She's baaaaack.

Wie shot 66 yesterday in Hawaii and is one back of the leader, Angela Stanford. It's only a 3 round tournament which increases the chances of Wie winning, IMO. Less time to stress.

I'll be curious to see what happens the next 2 days.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

*bump*

She's baaaaack.

Wie shot 66 yesterday in Hawaii and is one back of the leader, Angela Stanford. It's only a 3 round tournament which increases the chances of Wie winning, IMO. Less time to stress.

I'll be curious to see what happens the next 2 days.
    ... admit it, you own a Michelle Wie FatHead

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    ... admit it, you own a Michelle Wie FatHead

I do own one, but I had to take it down after I got married. After Michelle wins this week I'll put it back up over the fire place.

BTW, she's in first right now.

If Michelle Wie has matured and can actually get over the hump with a win or two, that could spell trouble for the LPGA.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    If Michelle Wie has matured and can actually get over the hump with a win or two, that could spell trouble for the LPGA.
    if she had been handled right instead of going for the cash she would already know how to win. Instead she continually spits the bit when she gets in contention in the final round. She is still likely to very good but IMO she could have been much more. She doesn't have the Tiger killer insinct and belief in winning.

Michele just doesn't have the certainty that she is better, has more talent and WILL prevail.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

That was rough for Michelle. She had a 3-shot lead with 8 to go and couldn't pull it off. I thought she was going to win. Double on 11 and a missed 3-foot birdie putt on 16 derailed her chances.

Meanwhile, Stanford played solid down the stretch. Even though I've caddied for Angela in the past, I still wanted Wie to win. I'm very happy for Angela and her rise to a near Top 5 player, but I want to Wie to shove it to all the nay-sayers. She's still only 19 and has 5 Top 10's in majors. She's an amazing player who will win in the near future. I foresee her being the #1 women's player in the world by the end of 2010. Once she wins once, they'll come quite often, similar to David Duval about 10 years ago.

That was rough for Michelle. She had a 3-shot lead with 8 to go and couldn't pull it off. I thought she was going to win. Double on 11 and a missed 3-foot birdie putt on 16 derailed her chances.

Meanwhile, Stanford played solid down the stretch. Even though I've caddied for Angela in the past, I still wanted Wie to win. I'm very happy for Angela and her rise to a near Top 5 player, but I want to Wie to shove it to all the nay-sayers. She's still only 19 and has 5 Top 10's in majors. She's an amazing player who will win in the near future. I foresee her being the #1 women's player in the world by the end of 2010. Once she wins once, they'll come quite often, similar to David Duval about 10 years ago.

Amazing what we demand of a 19 year old. I agree with you, I too think she'll be number 1.

Any of us think we'd have handled the stage any better at her age?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    if she had been handled right instead of going for the cash she would already know how to win. Instead she continually spits the bit when she gets in contention in the final round. She is still likely to very good but IMO she could have been much more. She doesn't have the Tiger killer insinct and belief in winning.

Michele just doesn't have the certainty that she is better, has more talent and WILL prevail.
    Neither did Tiger at her age.

I think the competition is less stiff, but she's accomplished far more at 19 on the LPGA tour than he had on the PGA tour.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?