Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This makes me sick

This makes me sick

and is what is wrong with this organization. From yesterday's Keith Law chat:

Joe (Cincinnati): So am I right in saying that if Weiters is available at 15 there is zero chance the Reds will select him due to signability, even though there isnt a decent catcher in the entire organization (including MLB)

Keith Law: I think you're right.

Zach (Cincinnati): Any way the Reds end up with porcello?

Keith Law: None at all.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: This makes me sick

I'd rather have a Ryan Wagner situation over a Jeremy Sowers situation.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'd rather have a Ryan Wagner situation over a Jeremy Sowers situation.
    Maybe, but I'd rather have Jeremy Sowers and David Espinosa in the organization and be $4 million poorer, even with a 50% success rate.

Point is, draft the best player available and sign him. Thats what you must do if you are a "player development" organization and struggling big time at the big league level. Why pay $5MM to a guy like Mike Stanton that will never help your team more than a 50% chance that a Weiters or Porcello turns into the player they're projected to be? We took Gruler over Kazmir because of signability concerns, and that worked out great
    Go BLUE!!!

The Porcello thing may have been a NO because he will absolutely be picked before 15.

Porcello scares the crap out of me.

1. Boras client
    2. HS Arm that throws HARD (supposedly 100) that is alot of stress on such a young arm
    3. He got roughed up in his last game.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Porcello scares the crap out of me.

1. Boras client
    2. HS Arm that throws HARD (supposedly 100) that is alot of stress on such a young arm
    3. He got roughed up in his last game.
    Don Bosco, baby!

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    The Porcello thing may have been a NO because he will absolutely be picked before 15.
    That's how I would've interpreted it.

No, in this same chat Law said he envisions Porcello falling to the Rangers at 24. He said no based off the signability concerns.
    Go BLUE!!!

A blog on MLB.com says that KC will pick Porcello at #2.

As for the Reds, I really hope we take Weiters if he's available.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    A blog on MLB.com says that KC will pick Porcello at #2.

As for the Reds, I really hope we take Weiters if he's available.
    Hope is all we reds fans have. Because we all know they would never spend the money. We will get stuck with borbon or someone like him. Makes me sick.

Doug mentioned on ORG last night that Wayne had a comment along the lines of "I believe in taking the BPA in the draft, but signability plays a role". Same old Reds.

Just finished watching one of ESPN's draft coverage videos and Weiters was shown in it, he looks like Joe Mauer with more power and he is a switch hitter. He sure does have a cannon for an arm too, he is his teams closer also and hits 94mph.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Well, Porcello does want about $8 mil right? That's pretty ridiculous. We might have to trade Dunn to sign a high schooler.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Just finished watching one of ESPN's draft coverage videos and Weiters was shown in it, he looks like Joe Mauer with more power and he is a switch hitter. He sure does have a cannon for an arm too, he is his teams closer also and hits 94mph.
    I've been dreaming about this guy for a long time, but the reds are not gonna shell out 10 mil and a major league contract for him. They would rather have mike stanton, unfortunatly.

This is truly Castellini's time to shine. I'll almost give him credit for not dumping money into the FA market right now, but this is an entirely different story. It sounds likely that a top 5 talent is going to drop to us. Taking a Weathers or Ahrens over a Porcello or Wieters deserves nothing short of an apology considering where he set the expectations last year.

Turn Off Ads?