Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Scrap Heap Alert! - Witasick & Ohka released

Scrap Heap Alert! - Witasick & Ohka released

Per Yahoo! Sports -

The Oakland Athletics released right-handed pitcher Jay Witasick on Thursday.

Witasick was designated for assignment on Sunday.

With Oakland this year, Witasick was 1-0 with a 3.60 earned run average. In 385 career appearances over 12 years in the major leagues, he is 32-41 with a 4.59 ERA.

Witasick made his major league debut in 1996 with Oakland, and also pitched for Kansas City, San Diego, the New York Yankees, San Francisco and Colorado.
    The Toronto Blue Jays designated righthander Tomo Ohka for assignment on Thursday.

The native of Japan made 10 starts for Toronto in 2007, posting a 2-5 record with a 5.79 earned run average. In his last start on Wednesday at Tampa Bay, Ohka took the loss, allowing five runs and 10 hits in 3 1/3 innings.

For his career, the 31-year-old Ohka has a 50-62 mark with a 4.14 ERA.

Wasn't there a little groundswell support for Tomo Ohka this offseason?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Re: Scrap Heap Alert! - Witasick & Ohka released

I may be crazy, but I wouldn't mind either of these two in our pen or starting a game here or there. I must be crazy.
    Witty signature.

There seemed to be alot of people calling for the Reds to persue Tomo Ohka.

Seems to me also that if the Reds did actually sign a guy like Tomo Ohka, that would be another "black mark" against Wayne Krivsky in most's eyes.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Tomo Ohka is a slightly better option than Hideki Irabu at this point. Slightly.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Tomo Ohka is a slightly better option than Hideki Irabu at this point. Slightly.
    You said Hideki Irabu!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Hmmm... we definitely could use some low ceiling veterans to take opportunities away from major league ready youth. Sign 'em up!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

The only use of adding these two would be that they'd commiserate with Stanton after he gets shelled.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The problem is, if the Reds make a signing like this, is that they'll still be pretending they have a chance to win the division instead of accepting the reality that it's time to for the young guys to get their feet wet, to benefit the future.

well, people wanted Ohka only when the Reds didn't get him...of course the Reds didn't get him because Special K is the dumbest man on the face of the planet currently working in baseball according to "the experts"
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Yep, I was all for Ohka back in the winter.

But I've changed my mind.

All dyslexics must untie!

Ryan Franklin couldn't pitch dead for Cincy last year.
    Now he's pitching light's out in the 8th inning for StL!
    (Remind me...what inning have Red's relievers had the most trouble with, in 2007?)
    Dave Duncan could take Ohka on, and a week later Tomo would 3-hit the Reds for 7+ innings
    (just sayin')
    Last edited by gm; 06-08-2007 at 12:56 AM.
    Never overlook the obvious

word, gm.

Turn Off Ads?