Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What Did You Think Of McBeth?

What Did You Think Of McBeth?

Well, we finally got to see McBeth in the flesh on a major league mound. What are your impressions?

I liked the fact he threw strikes. I'm sure he's figured out that's how you get sent out of here.

I think maybe he got up to 93 on the gun. That doesn't set him apart from many other bullpen candidates. It didn't look like his pitches had the movement of Burton, Salmon or Coffey. His mechanics consisted of rare back and throw it. In other words very raw.

I realize this was his debut so these only first impressions.

What did you guys think of his stuff?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: What Did You Think Of McBeth?

He got 3 outs which is something that this bullpen struggles with....which is the whole idea of pitching.

Throw him back out there...

Upon his head they placed a fruitless crown.

Looked good.
    Go Gators!

I thought he threw harder than what he showed last night and I wonder how his stuff will translate over the long haul.

It's hard to argue with his first inning though.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

It sounds stupid, but there's something to be said for simply throwing good strikes with decent stuff and letting the hitters do your work for you. Greg Maddux has ridden that approach to the HOF. All the movement and velocity in the world is pretty meaningless if it takes you a few walks a few balls left in the hitter's wheelhouse before you make that perfect strikeout pitch.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It sounds stupid, but there's something to be said for simply throwing good strikes with decent stuff and letting the hitters do your work for you. Greg Maddux has ridden that approach to the HOF. All the movement and velocity in the world is pretty meaningless if it takes you a few walks a few balls left in the hitter's wheelhouse before you make that perfect strikeout pitch.
    Greg Maddux had a little more going for him than pitch to contact... phenomenal control with great movement and an exceptional ability to change speeds.

All quibbling aside though, I haven't really seen McBeth pitch that much but he's described as having a low 90's fastball, a decent slider (probably at least major league average?) and a change up that's new to his game but IIRC, someone in the Reds org was complementing his change pretty highly (sorry I can't remember the context). He has a history of command issues in the minors but his walk rate has improved with every level he's advanced. He has a high K rate for his minor league career but that has dropped as he's been promoted. He Ks more lefties (the slider?) than righties but might be a little more effective against righties overall. He also seems to have slight groundball tendencies (his fastball sinks).

I just don't know how his stuff will translate longterm. As was said earlier, he's raw. His command will improve but he's not going to overpower major league hitters. I don't know. Mostly by looking at his minor league numbers, maybe his upside projects as something similar to Todd Coffey (without Coffey's recent command issues)?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Overall, one of Shakespeare's strongest plays. Good characters, unforgettable scenes, a forboding, dark aura throughout (helped much by the three weird sisters), many lines I can quote, and a climatic swordfight. My only complaint is that the way Lady Macbeth starts off so strong and ambitious, then fades away, wanders in her sleep, then kills herself offstage always disappoints.

Oh, and that rookie pitcher didn't look too bad either. Who knows if he will continue pitching well, but at this point, he's the type of pitcher I'd like to see coming out of the bullpen more often.

I loved the fact that on TV I couldn't tell the difference in his fastball and change up. I mean as far as delivery. I think he threw it 3 times and each time I thought it was the fastball until I saw that it was 80-81 on the gun and the hitter was out in front. That was very impressive to me.

Unfortunately he'll probably be the one to go down when Bailey comes up tomorrow. I'd really like to see him get some more innings for the Reds.

Encouraged that it looked like he could spot his fastball a little, running it back on the outside corner to righties. But it looks like he's got a tick less power than Salmon or Burton. The changeup seemed to have some decent deception, though I'm concerned that he wasn't getting it down in the zone. That's the pitch that will make or break him, I think. He's relatively new to pitching, so I think they'll need to be patient with him.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Turn Off Ads?