Post everything you find out about him here.

15th overall pick

Biographical Data
Player Name: Devin Mesoraco
Position: Catcher
School: Punxsatawney HS, Pa.
School Type: High School
Academic Class: Senior
Birthdate: 06/19/88
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 195 lbs.
Bats: Right
Throws: Right
Report Date(s): 04/23/07
Game(s): Bald Eagle HS

Focus Area Comments
Hitting Ability: Mesoraco has a ton of hitting ability, using a little leg kick in his approach, and doesn't swing at bad pitches.
Power: Mesoraco has plus power. Right now, it's more pull power, but eventually he'll develop power to all fields.
Running Speed: He's a fringy-average runner, which is pretty good for a catcher.
Arm Strength: He has a plus arm and isn't afraid to use it in pick-off attempts.
Arm Accuracy: His throws are always right on the money.
Fielding: Mesoraco has plus hands behind the plate.
Range: A terrific athlete, Mesoraco is outstanding at blocking balls in the dirt.
Baseball Instincts: Off the charts. He's got great makeup, he's very aggressive and he's a natural leader behind the plate.
Physical Description: Mesoraco is a strong backstop with a body type that might remind some of a Joe Girardi or Ivan Rodriguez.
Medical Update: Mesoraco missed much of 2006 following Tommy John surgery, but now is completely healthy and clearly is having no problems with his throwing.
Strengths: He's a complete package. He can hit with power and he can play defense with a strong arm and soft hands.
Weaknesses: He tends to get out on his front foot on his swing from time to time.
Summary: Mesoraco has answered any questions about his arm following Tommy John surgery a year ago and is on the rise among catching prospects. He's a complete catching package, with hitting ability, power, good hands, a plus arm and outstanding leadership ability.
c/o mlb.com

From Trent:

Thursday, June 07, 2007
Hello Mr. Mesoraco

Not sure if I'm supposed to be blogging about this (I'm having a hard time tracking down C. Trent) but since I'm writing the draft story for Friday's Post, I'll go ahead and do it anyway.

Your first-round pick is Devin Mesoraco, a catcher from Punxsutawney, Pa. He was supposed to go to the University of Virginia, but that doesn't look like it'll happen now. Supposedly, he's very athletic, and he really came on this year as a high school senior.

He also had Tommy John surgery two years ago, so I'm interested to hear what he has to say about that.

We're supposed to be talking to Mesoraco in about a half-hour. I'll post the highlights when I get off the phone call.

Editor's note: I do love when Josh does stuff so I don't have to.

Here's what Baseball America had to say about Mr. Mesoraco:

Scouting Report: As strong as this year's high school class was considered at the outset of the season, it got even better when high school righthanders Jarrod Parker and Nevin Griffith and Mesoraco came out of the gate showing better tools and ability than they had last summer and fall. Griffith and Mesoraco appeared in showcases, but they didn't show impact potential until this spring, and Mesoraco has been the biggest riser of them all. An arm injury led to Tommy John surgery when he was a sophomore, and he was relegated to DH duties as a junior. His arm strength has slowly returned, and this spring he has shown a 70 arm with quick, efficient releases. Defensively, Mesoraco compares favorably to 2001 Angels first-rounder Jeff Mathis, with athleticism serving as the foundation of an agile, quick-twitch player who receives and blocks exceptionally well. He shows above-average bat speed and 50-55 power at the plate. He's a solid-average runner, too, rounding out a legitimate five-tool package that probably won't make it out of the first round.

Devin is talking to reporters on a conference call right now (when Brad Johansen isn't screwing it up. He and his entire team and family are at a restaurant in Altoona, Pa., after his team's 7-0 victory in the state playoffs. Mesoraco was 0-for-1 with three walks, 'that's the way it's been all year,' he said.

Mesoraco said he grew up wanting ot be like Johnny Bench and is honored the Reds selected him because of that.
From Fay:

Thursday, June 7, 2007
Reds pick catcher

The Reds pick Devin Mesoraco, a catcher from Punxatawney, Pa.

Read he could go as high as fourth.

He's 6-1, 195 pounds. Also played shortstop. Had "Tommy John" surgery.

From minorleaguebaseball.com: "Mesoraco has answered any questions about his arm following Tommy John surgery a year ago and is on the rise among catching prospects. He's a complete catching package, with hitting ability, power, good hands, a plus arm and outstanding leadership ability."

From baseballamerica.com: "The more players who slide out of the top 10 picks based on signability, the better for Mesoraco, who has asserted himself as a first rounder who was expected to sign quickly for slot money anywhere in the first 30 picks. He could be taken as high as No. 4 to Pittsburgh. One of most attractive assets is the balance of his game."

BA had him No. 14. The Reds picked 15th.

He was the Pennsylvania Gatorade Player of the Year. From the Gatorade release: "At the time of his selection, the 6-foot-1, 195-pound senior catcher was batting .467 with four home runs and 16 RBI, amassing a .632 on-base percentage and a .911 slugging percentage. He is ranked amongst Baseball America’s top 100 high school prospects, confirming his status as one of the top backstops in the nation. . . Mesoraco has maintained a 3.61 GPA in the classroom."