Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1st Round Pick (15 overall): Devin Mesoraco, Catcher, High School

Re: 1st Round Pick (15 overall): Devin Mesoraco, Catcher, High School

Of the remaining unsigned draft picks, Todd Frazier, Kyle Lotzkar, Zach Cozart, Scott Carroll, Blake Stouffer, Evan Hildenbrandt, Taylor Jordan, Andrew O'Neil, and Scott Alexander are the one's I want signed. James Nelson, 39th round 6'6" RHP HS pitcher would be nice also, but I doubt he'll sign.

In order of preference:

Todd Frazier
    Kyle Lotzkar
    Evan Hildenbrandt
    Scott Carroll
    Blake Stouffer
    Zach Cozart
    Taylor Jordan/Scott Alexander
    Andrew O'Neil

I would be satisfied if just one of Alexander/Jordan were signed.

BTW, Lotzkar doesn't graduate from HS until June 29th, so don't worry about him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

What's with these guys not graduation high school until so late. Our last day was in the first week of June (I want to say 5th) and our seniors graduate June 3rd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Reds sign No. 1 draft pick

Catcher Devin Mesoraco, the Reds' No. 1 draft pick (15th overall), signed a contract Friday in Sarasota and begins his professional career with the Gulf Coast Rookie Reds.

"We are very pleased to reach an agreement with Devin and are looking forward to getting him on the field soon," GM Wayne Krivksy said.

Mesoraco, 18, hit .467 with four homers and 21 RBIs this spring for Punxsutawney (Pa.) High School.

Pitcher Kyle Lotzkar, a third-round sandwich pick, remains unsigned but visited the team here Friday. He is from nearby Delta, British Columbia.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...redsnotes.html

I want to know what is going on with Frazier. Anyone know??

It seems Mesoraco will be placed on the fast track by starting with the High-A Sarasota team.

I believe he's starting with the GCL Reds. He is on their roster. You may be confused because it said he was going to Sarasota, but thats where the GCL Reds are located too.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I must be mistaken. I thought it said he was starting with the Sarasota team.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I must be mistaken. I thought it said he was starting with the Sarasota team.
    Both the high Single A club and the Rookie teams are in Sarasota. He'll be playing with the Rookie team.

Carlos Gomez broke down the mechanics of all the 1st round picks. His summary of Mesoraco: "From a potential point-of-view, I like the pick. There's work to do though." He thinks Mesoraco is athletic, has quick wrists, but needs to stop "lunging" after pitches.

To my mind, Devin's swing needs some work from his set position. He sets his hands directly behind (and nearly above) his head--he won't get away with that in the bigs.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...d-picks-11-20/

BTW, he didn't like Dominguez's swing *at all*.

With Mesoraco signing his contract a few days ago, I'm curious as to why he hasn't appeared in a game for the GCL Reds yet. Is it standard procedure for the first round pick to wait a couple days after signing to get in a game, or is it something else?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He started today.

Hadn't seen this posted anywhere yet.

Shortstop Zack Cozart, the Cincinnati Reds second round selection of the 2007 First Year Player Draft out of the University of Mississippi has been added to the active roster of the Dayton Dragons. Cincinnati selected Cozart with the team's fourth pick and he was the third position player taken by the Reds in the draft.
    http://http://www.oursportscentral.c...es/?id=3496172

Does this mean Valaika is on his way to Sarasota?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Hadn't seen this posted anywhere yet.

http://http://www.oursportscentral.c...es/?id=3496172

Does this mean Valaika is on his way to Sarasota?
    I would think so. Where is Fraizer going to go when he gets signed? If Cozart is starting in Dayton, I would assume they won't send Fraizer to rookie ball. Maybe the just don't see Fraizer as a SS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I would think so. Where is Fraizer going to go when he gets signed? If Cozart is starting in Dayton, I would assume they won't send Fraizer to rookie ball. Maybe the just don't see Fraizer as a SS.
    You're probably right. My guess is he will play 3rd to start and then probably move to LF or RF. Or since Francisco is in Dayton maybe they go ahead and start him right out in the COF. It's hard to say.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

**edited** meant to make this a post to itself!

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?