Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: per Jason Stark-Jr would approve a trade to Atlanta

per Jason Stark-Jr would approve a trade to Atlanta

per jason starks Latest.. (I got this from mlbtraderumors.com

Ken Griffey Jr. would approve a trade to Atlanta and might consider certain other teams. Junior is making $12.5MM this year and next, plus a $4MM buyout for '09. Quite a bit of the contract is deferred, also. $29MM over 2007-08 is still pretty steep, but now would be the right time to trade Griffey.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=2896288

here is the article
    "
    Griffey
    KEN GRIFFEY JR./ADAM DUNN
    We're not sure it's even possible to fall out of the NL Central race. But the Reds have given it a try, by losing 25 of their last 34 games. If that full gainer continues for another few weeks, then get ready for the birds of prey to start circling over these two guys. An official of one team that inquired about Griffey says Griffey has informed the Reds he won't oppose a trade "in the right scenario." But outside of the Braves, a club he has told friends for years he'd go to, it's tough to say what he'd consider "the right scenario." So most clubs we've canvassed think the Reds are more likely to move Dunn, who is kind of their version of Teixeira, minus the Boras factor. The difference is that while Dunn wouldn't be a free agent until 2009 if he stays in Cincinnati, a trade would void his 2008 option year, allow him to hit the market this winter and make him strictly a half-year rent-a-player. So the price tag can't be as steep as Teixeira's. "

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: per Jason Stark-Jr would approve a trade to Atlanta

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    per jason starks Latest.. (I got this from mlbtraderumors.com

Ken Griffey Jr. would approve a trade to Atlanta and might consider certain other teams. Junior is making $12.5MM this year and next, plus a $4MM buyout for '09. Quite a bit of the contract is deferred, also. $29MM over 2007-08 is still pretty steep, but now would be the right time to trade Griffey.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=2896288

here is the article
    "
    Griffey
    KEN GRIFFEY JR./ADAM DUNN
    We're not sure it's even possible to fall out of the NL Central race. But the Reds have given it a try, by losing 25 of their last 34 games. If that full gainer continues for another few weeks, then get ready for the birds of prey to start circling over these two guys. An official of one team that inquired about Griffey says Griffey has informed the Reds he won't oppose a trade "in the right scenario." But outside of the Braves, a club he has told friends for years he'd go to, it's tough to say what he'd consider "the right scenario." So most clubs we've canvassed think the Reds are more likely to move Dunn, who is kind of their version of Teixeira, minus the Boras factor. The difference is that while Dunn wouldn't be a free agent until 2009 if he stays in Cincinnati, a trade would void his 2008 option year, allow him to hit the market this winter and make him strictly a half-year rent-a-player. So the price tag can't be as steep as Teixeira's. "
    And that little bit of info tells me that he should be kept. The value will not be there for Dunn.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    And that little bit of info tells me that he should be kept. The value will not be there for Dunn.
    Does Dunn even have the value we all wish he did? I'm thinking no.....but $13 million can be spent elsewhere.

Krivsky wants to build on pitching and defense....Adam Dunn does not fit that mold
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-07-2007 at 06:33 PM.

If we can trade Junior to Atlanta for any kind of viable return, we have to do it. At this stage, this might be one of the last opportunities we have do get anything for him. I suppose we'd probably still have to pay a portion of his (lengthy deferred) contract, but that's okay. Much as I'd like him to play out his career for the Reds, it doesn't make sense for either Junior or the life of this franchise.

PS -- Thanks to everyone for voting me back into the ORG. I'm excited to be back in the fold!
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Atlanta is one of the very few teams that make sense for Griffey himself on a personal level.

The Braves are in a pennant race, their spring training facility is very close to his Florida home, and Atlanta itself is a very short flight from his Florida home. The Braves may also have the financial flexibility and be willing to take on some of his contract.

One thing I wonder about Griffey is if he'll accept a trade to any team - including Atlanta - under the condition that they must also pick up his 2009 option. If he requires the option to be picked up to be traded, then that could be another problem with trying to move him.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

If that were to happen it wouldn't bother me in the least if the Reds offered to cover the majority of his salary for next season provided the return was good.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Does Dunn even have the value we all wish he did? I'm thinking no.....but $13 million can be spent elsewhere.
    kind of like that $10M+ WK blew on Lohse, Cormier, Stanton, Castro, Conine.

Quantity does not = Quality
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Jr + ??? for Saltalamacchia works for me
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Atlanta is one of the very few teams that make sense for Griffey himself on a personal level.

The Braves are in a pennant race, their spring training facility is very close to his Florida home, and Atlanta itself is a very short flight from his Florida home. The Braves may also have the financial flexibility and be willing to take on some of his contract.

One thing I wonder about Griffey is if he'll accept a trade to any team - including Atlanta - under the condition that they must also pick up his 2009 option. If he requires the option to be picked up to be traded, then that could be another problem with trying to move him.
    I agree with you concerning the '09 option. Also Atlanta has adopted a new *fiscally sound* payroll philosophy so I'm not that certain Jr's '08 wouldn't be a stumbling block. They might actually bite on Dunn before Jr depending upon the asking prices. BTW Saltalamacchia has put up this line in about 50 at bats with the Braves: .304/.373/.478 after tearing up the southern league earlier in the year. I'm just not convinced they'll want to trade a young bat for an older one (lets face it neither Dunn or Jr would come with leather) especially when Salty would likely fetch something juicy with more of a shelf life.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Jr + ??? for Saltalamacchia works for me
    Today, the Reds drafted their catcher

I think this has always been the case.

The only "news" to it I suppose is that Griffey's close enough to the end of his contract and playing well enough that it's actually a possibility.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Today, the Reds drafted their catcher
    Look forward to seeing him in 2012
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Look forward to seeing him in 2012
    He'll only be 23....too young for this team

2022 then.

Anyway the Braves aren't going to give Salty to us for JR or Dunn or probably even both, we should aim for someone else.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?