Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Lopez yanked from Nats' lineup for not hustling

Lopez yanked from Nats' lineup for not hustling

Acta pulls Lopez for not hustling
    WASHINGTON (AP) — Washington Nationals second baseman Felipe Lopez was removed from Thursday’s 3-2 loss to Pittsburgh by manager Manny Acta for not running out a ground ball to second base in the fifth inning.
    “I love Felipe,” Acta said. “I’ve known Felipe longer than anybody in this locker room ... but that being said, he’s under everybody’s rule.
    “We said it from the beginning: we’re going to play hard. We’re going to play right, and we’re probably going to have to outhustle the opposition. It’s not going to be tolerated, regardless of who you are.
    Lopez declined to speak to reporters after the game. He went 0-for-3 with a strikeout and two groundouts to second.
    It was the second time this season Acta, a first-year manager, has removed a starter for a perceived lack of hustle.
    Ryan Church did not run through first base on a ground ball against Florida on April 23 and was taken out of the game.
    “You run it out or get taken out,” Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman said. “I think the message is already loud and clear. He has told us how he wants us to play, and if you don’t do it, I guess you come out. It’s not like he’s using Felipe as an example. We all know the rules.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lopez yanked from Nats' lineup for not hustling

Love that Zimmerman is backing up his Manager and calling out Lopez when he says
    It’s not like he’s using Felipe as an example. We all know the rules.
    Ummm...yes he is...he is calling out Felipe because he is pointing out to everyone on the team...this is NOT the way to do things.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Hope Felipe likes Columbus......

(there's precedent, you know)
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Hope Felipe likes Columbus......

(there's precedent, you know)
    Maybe he'd come back up and hit .500.

What I really want to know is if Lopez listens or will he take Sheffield's advice and not allow himself to be controlled?

Offense Stalls With Lopez In a Slump

By Barry Svrluga
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, June 10, 2007;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061000938.html
    MINNEAPOLIS, June 10 -- The centerpiece of the Washington Nationals' inability to score more than three runs in Sunday's 6-3 loss to the Minnesota Twins was second baseman Felipe Lopez, who went 0 for 5 with an RBI that came on a bases-loaded groundout. Lopez is now in a 2-for-37 tailspin that has left his average at a season-low .231.

"I'm just struggling," Lopez said. He said he did not know what was wrong. "When you're struggling, you're struggling. . . . I try to do the same stuff. It's all about my timing."

Lopez has gone hitless in seven of his past eight games; his two hits during this funk that began with his last two at-bats May 30 came in the same game, June 5 against Pittsburgh. His on-base percentage is now .277, 63 points lower than the National League average for leadoff hitters.

"It seems like he's trying to get out of the slump and get three hits in one at-bat," Manager Manny Acta said. "So we're just going to talk to him. He's just going to continue to go out there. That's how he's going to get out of it. Hopefully, he'll snap out of it."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062501333.html

The official prognosis after Guzman's surgery, performed by Richard Barth at Sibley Memorial Hospital in the District, is that he will be out 10 weeks, which leaves a sliver of possibility for a return in September. But club officials are treating it as a season-ending injury, and the lineup Monday against the Atlanta Braves likely looked as it will for the foreseeable future -- with Felipe Lopez moving back to shortstop from second base and Ronnie Belliard taking over at second.
    The injury left the Nationals without their leadoff hitter, and outfielder Brandon Watson took over that spot Monday. Lopez, who entered play Monday with an on-base percentage of .285 -- .277 when he hits leadoff -- said switching back to shortstop, where he has played most of his career, is "what I have to do."

And he pledged his offense would improve.

"I'm going to finish good," Lopez said. "I know I am."

Poor Thomas Boswell. 34 years of waiting gets this.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I saw where the Nats purchased the contract of D'Lo as well...
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Good work on that team jimbo
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?