Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts

Haunted by walks

Random Thoughts

A home run is not a rally killer, it's a rally accelerator.

The consequences of Juan Castro batting second were not what we expected.

It's amazing they could even finish the game with all those dead rallies littering the field.

Jerry Narron is like the pitcher who is taken out of the game after the bases are loaded on bloops and errors. It's not his fault he's in this mess, but he's not good enough to get out of it.

It's troubling that the worst team in baseball is better than I've ever been.

Those who say we root for laundry should read the Reds game in person from the '40s thread.

What would the Reds record be if Wayne Krivsky really was rebuilding the farm system instead of trying to win now at the major league level?

Bob Castellini must be taking part in some sort of sleep-deprivation experiment.

Someday all you young guys will meet somebody who wasn't alive when Homer Bailey first pitched in the majors.

If you were the manager, what moves would you make that RedsZone would bash you for?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Random Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Jerry Narron is like the pitcher who is taken out of the game after the bases are loaded on bloops and errors. It's not his fault he's in this mess, but he's not good enough to get out of it.
    This might be the most appropriate description of Jerry Narron I've read in any medium.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

A home run is not a rally killer, it's a rally accelerator.
    6 IP, 5 H, 4 BB, 5 R, 2 ER: 1 Loss
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If you were the manager, what moves would you make that RedsZone would bash you for?
    I would go with this maddeningly consistent line-up every single day without worrying about L-R matchups:

Freel
    Phillips
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Hamilton
    Hatteberg
    Gonzalez
    Ross
    Pitcher

I would keep doing this until I started getting bashed for it on RedsZone. Then I would stop and only do it six times a week.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I would go with this maddeningly consistent line-up every single day without worrying about L-R matchups:

Freel
    Phillips
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Hamilton
    Hatteberg
    Gonzalez
    Ross
    Pitcher

I would keep doing this until I started getting bashed for it on RedsZone. Then I would stop and only do it six times a week.
    Four lefties in a row? Are you mad, man?

Jerry wakes every night in a cold sweat, screaming... MOMMY! His wife asks him if he had the consecutive lefty dream again. Jerry replies, "Just hold me."
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post

Freel
    Phillips
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Hamilton
    Hatteberg
    Gonzalez
    Ross
    Pitcher

I think Phillip's power is wasted there, and Hatteberg's on base skills is wasted in the 6th hole. Plus (I assume you forgot this) EE needs to be playing over Freel.

I'd go:

Hatteberg
    Encarnacion
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Phillips
    Hamilton
    Gonzalez
    Ross
    Pitcher

I think this is ideal because you have patient guys at the top, top producers in the middle, and guys who can knock in runs near the bottom. Plus, I think Phillips is close enough in ability with Hamilton, that you can even break up the lefties without sacrificing ability.

Freel is a terrible leadoff hitter, given his low OBP, and he shouldn't be playing thirdbase instead of EE.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

It's troubling that the worst team in baseball is better than I've ever been.

Those who say we root for laundry should read the Reds game in person from the '40s thread.
    I loved those.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I can't recall but weren't there actually stats dug up somewhere that said a leadoff homerun actually was a rally killer? If I remember correctly the difference was only half a run, in terms of rallies. I don't know how we ever arrived at that stat.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    This might be the most appropriate description of Jerry Narron I've read in any medium.
    I wanted to comment on this one when I first read it as well. Excellent analogy, in my book. Well done, BCubb.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Freel is a terrible leadoff hitter, given his low OBP, and he shouldn't be playing thirdbase instead of EE.
    The Freel "experiment" is over as far as I'm concerned. We like him because he's scrappy and plays hard. That is about as superficial as "veteran presence". He needs to be a super-sub. I say that because this bench, among other things, is down right atrocious. And I'm tired of this logic of "trying to find a way to play Freel". Who then loses out starting on the field?

They need to dump Castro and Moeller (and Conine could easily be on that fence to as far as I'm concerned)... and start complementing your bench with guys like Hopper and Votto in the second half.

But this team lacks a solid leadoff guy. You got Hatte, Dunn, or Jr, as far as leading the team with an OB% that is respectable. Other then that? We're sunk. Hopper? Should he be given a try? But where does he play?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The Freel "experiment" is over as far as I'm concerned. We like him because he's scrappy and plays hard. That is about as superficial as "veteran presence". He needs to be a super-sub. I say that because this bench, among other things, is down right atrocious. And I'm tired of this logic of "trying to find a way to play Freel". Who then loses out starting on the field?

They need to dump Castro and Moeller (and Conine could easily be on that fence to as far as I'm concerned)... and start complementing your bench with guys like Hopper and Votto in the second half.

But this team lacks a solid leadoff guy. You got Hatte, Dunn, or Jr, as far as leading the team with an OB% that is respectable. Other then that? We're sunk. Hopper? Should he be given a try? But where does he play?
    I agree and always have on Freel. He goes 4-4 one night and people appoint him to the HOF, but he strikes out too much and rarely ignites any offense. Play Hamilton in center and leave the outfield Dunn-Hamilton-Griffey.

Yes, dump Castro, Moeller, and Conine and bring up those kids. Bring up lots of kids and try (almost impossible) to get rid of Stanton and others for a bucket of balls (heck, give Stanton away) and see what happens. If you're going to stand pat, just leave the fans alone because most (not RZ, but most) could care less at this point.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

It seems to me the point of the thread was to instill thought about having a knee jerk reaction from night to night. I'm an old geezer by most standards here, and as such I don't think it's productive to put a weight on anyone's shoulders from inning to inning. Over reacting is a waste of time and energy. Fans should look ahead as well as behind before jumping to conclusions, lighten up a little bit. In general players have good seasons and bad seasons, good nights and bad nights, lucky ones and unlucky ones. The Reds have had more bad luck than good luck this year. But over all they're a pretty good team. With a little better "luck" and "support" they could just as well be in first place, that is in the NL Central.

It's true that leaving the line up alone for a while would probably work out, especially if it was my line up.

Leaving a pitcher in longer or taking him out at the right time, my time, would be better.

Throwing players on the field simply for promotional profit serves no one.

Save your baseball cards, don't put them in the spokes of your bike. The throw a player away and get another one attitude is one that makes for big dollar trades and rarely produces anything. Have a beer and a braut, throw a little kraut on it and give them a chance.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I think Phillip's power is wasted there, and Hatteberg's on base skills is wasted in the 6th hole. Plus (I assume you forgot this) EE needs to be playing over Freel.

I'd go:

Hatteberg
    Encarnacion
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Phillips
    Hamilton
    Gonzalez
    Ross
    Pitcher

I think this is ideal because you have patient guys at the top, top producers in the middle, and guys who can knock in runs near the bottom. Plus, I think Phillips is close enough in ability with Hamilton, that you can even break up the lefties without sacrificing ability.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Bring up lots of kids and try
    The only problem is our farms does not have alot of kids that are closeto being ML ready. I understand our circumstances, but brining up kids just because this team currently sucks is not going to help in the long run. I say give kids like Hopper and Votto (platoon him) a chance for the second half.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-08-2007 at 10:27 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?